GPR Stabilizer // Forthcoming Product Review

Rotary style dampers are mostly purchased for street bikes. It's quite rare to see a race bike, even at the club level with a rotary damper. The rod type is by far the most popular.

The only purpose of a damper is to assist the bike in regaining stability once a head shake or the dreaded violence of a tank slapper has occurred. It has little, if any effect on prevention.

I too, am interested in Scar's write up on this unit. Mostly I'm interested in how he gets his bike into head shaking situations, at what speeds and what damper settings are most effective at regaining control.

I too, am interested in Scar's write up on this unit. Mostly I'm interested in how he gets his bike into head shaking situations, at what speeds and what damper settings are most effective at regaining control.

Your a tough crowd Tuf. :poke:

Mostly I'm interested in how he gets his bike into head shaking situations, at what speeds and what damper settings are most effective at regaining control.

There's a limit to what my assessment will cover.

How I get my bike into 'head-shake' conditions and recover from them at a variety of stabilizer settings will not be among them.

I am not a good enough rider to, nor do I have the facility to experience and record this type of data.

But deadly honest!

Yes Sir you are but question would you put your bike into those type of senerio's? If so I know I want to read your write up :thumbsup: me personally I have never been in a tank slapper and hope to never experiance on either but I alway like to read info about how to recover just incase for some reason I ever do get myself into that situation. I like it when guys like you that have been riding forever and a day give advice on topic's like this, these are the one's I truely enjoy reading and why I come here. I think Scar will give a great review on the product as well :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Rotary style dampers are mostly purchased for street bikes. It's quite rare to see a race bike, even at the club level with a rotary damper. The rod type is by far the most popular.

The only purpose of a damper is to assist the bike in regaining stability once a head shake or the dreaded violence of a tank slapper has occurred. It has little, if any effect on prevention.

Have you installed and rode your Busa with a GPR?

Yeah Scar, Lamb is also interested in how you get your bike into a head shaking situation and how well the Gpr responds to your various inputs. Perhaps, you could demonstrate on our fair mountain(Palomar) this very weekend.

Big crowd+ Scar demonstrating the various ways to save a tank slapper=BIG FUN!

Yeah Scar, Lamb is also interested in how you get your bike into a head shaking situation and how well the Gpr responds to your various inputs. Perhaps, you could demonstrate on our fair mountain(Palomar) this very weekend.

Big crowd+ Scar demonstrating the various ways to save a tank slapper=BIG FUN!

Should be! Maybe we can do all this for the cameraman, Rick Clemson, too! Yeah! That'd be awesome!!!

:laugh:

Yes Sir you are but question would you put your bike into those type of senerio's? If so I know I want to read your write up :thumbsup: me personally I have never been in a tank slapper and hope to never experiance on either but I alway like to read info about how to recover just incase for some reason I ever do get myself into that situation. I like it when guys like you that have been riding forever and a day give advice on topic's like this, these are the one's I truely enjoy reading and why I come here. I think Scar will give a great review on the product as well :thumbsup:

One thing you don't want to do is to physically try to stop it from shakin'. It's tryin to correct itself and any more rider input makes it worse. Loose on the bars and alittle throttle is probaly the best thing. Never had a tankslapper but have had a couple of shaken but not stirreds.

Track GP racers do, indeed, use steering stabilizers... They might be out of view, but most assuredly, they're there.

:beerchug:

Not true, many do not use them...if your suspension is set up properly, there is not much need for them.

Improper suspension set up and rider error is when they come in handy :whistle:

They do add some stability (feel) to the bike, but they are like a band aid....proper suspension set up and rider skill is what really counts.

rotary style dampers are mostly purchased for street bikes. It's quite rare to see a race bike, even at the club level with a rotary damper. The rod type is by far the most popular.

I too, am interested in scar's write up on this unit. Mostly i'm interested in how he gets his bike into head shaking situations, at what speeds and what damper settings are most effective at regaining control.

fyi

GPR156.jpg

GPR150.jpg

161.jpg

152.jpg

They do add some stability (feel) to the bike, but they are like a band aid....proper suspension set up and rider skill is what really counts.

I can see what you mean by not necessary if done right but wouldn't the point be much like leathers? They're completely unnecessary UNLESS you go down. So better to be dressed for the crash than the ride and better to have a stabilizer IN CASE your suspension is out of line OR you make a mistake.

I don't have an aftermarket stabilizer but after reading what those that have them say, I think I'll add it to the list.

I can see what you mean by not necessary if done right but wouldn't the point be much like leathers? They're completely unnecessary UNLESS you go down. So better to be dressed for the crash than the ride and better to have a stabilizer IN CASE your suspension is out of line OR you make a mistake.

I don't have an aftermarket stabilizer but after reading what those that have them say, I think I'll add it to the list.

I have a aftermarket unit on one of my track bikes...they don't make you a better rider.

Spend your money in other areas first...suspension, brakes, and most importantly...RIDER TRAINING :please:

I have a aftermarket unit on one of my track bikes...they don't make you a better rider.

Spend your money in other areas first...suspension, brakes, and most importantly...RIDER TRAINING :please:

I beg to differ. Jeremy Toye of Lee's fame says differently about not needing/using them on the track.

While I agree with your assessment about proper everything else, gp racers do in fact use them.

What racers do they sponsor?

I remember looking at Jimmy Moore's (AMA Super Stock Champ) bike with a GPR damper mounted in full view which was missing the arm. Looking a bit deeper I found there was an ohlins rod damper mounted under the guage cluster.

Apparently some who have sponsorships still prefer a rod type damper.

Back