Motorcycle Safety Topic of the Week

ridercoach

Post ***** King & Local Safety Guru
Donating Member
Registered
All right guys, you all forgot to give me my kick in the ass for not posting the safety topic of the week. I decided that I am going to go basic for this week. We are going to talk about safety gear. Since I have been hearing a lot about accidents where riders do not have proper gear. To me gear is like when you buy a car. You normally pay more for safety, right? Air bags are standard on new cars, but we will pay extra for ABS, side airbags, seat belt detection systems and other really cool safety features. So why is motorcycling any different? Don't we want the best for ourselves? I know I do.

From head to toe.

Helmet: Wonderful piece of safety equipment. Most states require you to wear one. If you live in a state that doesn't require it, wear one any ways  
biggrin.gif
 . I need not get into the importance of a helmet, that is obvious, but I will get into quality of helmets. Best protection for your melon is a full face helmet. No brainer there huh. So what is a good full face helmet you may ask, well that's simple. Look for the DOT sticker on the back and labeled on the inside of the helmet. DOT stands for Department of Transportation They test the helmets to meet a min. standard. A DOT helmet is a well put together helmet. There is also another rating in addition to DOT that you may see. That is a SNELL (Snell Memorial foundation) rating. This rating exceeds the DOT standard. So obviously a DOT/Snell rating is a better built helmet. There are only two manufactures of helmets that I know of that exceed the Snell rating and they are Shoei and Arari. Of course they cost more, but you have to ask how much is your head worth. Another good pointer when buying a helmet is to purchase a helmet without a seam down the middle of it. That is a clam shell mold helmet. They take two halves and put them together as compared to a solid mold helmet, one that is one piece.

BTW law wise, most states require a clear visor or clear eye protection on when riding at night. Eye protection is a must in most states when you have no visor on your helmet. A windshield does not constitute as a eye protection. Of course the best eye protection is a shatter resistant wrap around glasses.

Jacket: Leather is the best material to protect your skin, but we aren't riding harleys here are we. A jacket is essential for a motorcyclist. It protects us from the elements and it protects of god forbid we hit the ground. I live in the state of Florida where 90 degree days are common. Does this mean that its to hot for jackets and helmets. Hell no. They make jackets that are mesh and allow the wind to flow right through it, but stops the road from going through your skin. I personally own a Joe Rocket Ballistic 3.0. I wear it while I teach on the black top on the range. I cant even tell I have it on. Bright colors are also essential. All black is for people trying to hide, we don't want to hide in traffic. So buy a jacket with some color a retro reflective material.

Gloves: Again leather is the best material. But they do make gloves that protect that are not leather but again a mesh material. Gloves do more than protect us from a crash, they protect us from debris from the road, child from cool air, and a nice cure for sweaty palms on the grips.

Pants: Hey pac, what do you think I should say about pants? Leather again is the best material, but it is summer time and most likely we wont wear it if its hot outside. So denim is a nice alternative, but as proven by pac at high speeds denim has a tendency to loose its durability. You do have options, Draggin jeans are a great choice as so are riding suits.

Foot wear: Boots, over the ankle foot wear is your best choice. Something with grip preferably. Oil resistant boots. Need I say more. I believe I do. Why over the ankle? Easy, support, when you constantly put your foot down in traffic a extra support is appreciated. It also protects you again from the elements. Done forget that slippery stuff that we step into at lights. Even those painted lines can be slippery, you know they take broken glass and mix it with the paint to make it reflect. Hit that stuff at 6 in the morning with the dew right on top of it. You'll be in for a big suprise.

Dont forget about Hypothermia and Dehydration. Hypothermia is when you body temp go below normal. Lets say your riding on a bike in 50 degree weather at 45 mph. You will achieve a chilling effect of 35 degrees. It gets worse at higher speeds, lets 65 degrees at 75 mph, you will receive a chilling effect of 40 degrees. Pretty damn cold huh, if you don't have your gear on. Dehydration is a b*tch. You can get dehydrated just by warm wind going over your exposed skin. So its hot out and you decided to wear your shorts and tank top w/ flip flops (ive seen it). How quickly do you think the water in your body will be sucked out just by warm wind going over your skin. Pretty damn quick. So even if it is warm out, wear your gear.

Rain is no joke either, so a nice set of rain gear is a riders best friend.

Safety gear should not be a burden or discomfort. If it is not comfortable for you, you wont wear it. So buy gear that is appropriate for the season. Dress in layers when its winter time. It may be freezing cold in the morning but by mid day it can warm up significantly. So it would be nice to just peel off a layer of cloth instead of all or nothing. I can hear what some of you are saying. I never wear safety gear because I don't plan on getting into an accident. Well do we ever plan on it. If you don't wear your gear for you self, wear it for the ones that you love. Trust me they will appreciate it if you do. Squids are squids, there is no need for my fellow busa riders out there to be put in that category One of the members said it best when they said "Dress like your not coming back from the ride" I have hear every excuse in the book why not to wear safety gear, but not one of them has ever had any logical sense to it. If you are one of those who go with out. All I can say, may god give you a guardian angle to ride with.

God bless and be safe out there.

PS. This post is dedicated to my best buddy Brian, RIP brother, and ride it up there like you stole it.

Brian crashed without a helmet or safety gear.

<!--EDIT|ridercoach
Reason for Edit: None given...|1085606180 -->

I swore after I took that ridin class and got addicted to bikes 5 years ago that I would NEVER ride without gear and helmet. I have not broken that promise to myself. Like you said, it's part of the package just like side beams, seat belts, and airbags. I planned my gears expense as part of initial cycle riding and decided I was worth keeping around - thus gear. Everything is a pain until you get used to it. Good topic, coach and it should never get old. Amen.

SpacemanSpiff.jpg

Hear, hear, Coach! I thought all that stuff was common sense, meself, but you're right about the jackasses out there that won't wear the gear; some of them think it'll make them look like sissies or something. Granted, I would feel self-conscious walking into the supermarket dressed in full leathers (those seem to be popular in Europe for daily riders), but I kinda like the looks I get when I walk into the store with all my gear on, helmet under one arm, gloves dragging from the other hand.

Before I bought my first bike, I bought a helmet, jacket, and gloves. It took me six months to find the right helmet; I researched everything I could about them. BTW, Arai and Shoei are great helmets, but there are some others that also have DOT and Snell ratings, and there's a European safety certification, too, that would be equivalent to Snell standards (I'm thinking of Suomy helmets here). What I did notice is that helmets that aren't full-face helmets don't (or can't) get a Snell rating. Also, DOT seemed to be more about area of coverage, and Snell seemed to have a large concern about the helmet's staying on the head.
face7.gif
iamwithstupid.gif

A good helmet will go a long way for you... My first sportbike, I purchased a cheap $150 snell rated helmet that weighed a TON! It was so burdensome on my neck leaned over that I rather not wear a helmet at all then wear that piece of SH$t.

When I bought the Busa, I decided that I would have to wear a helmet in order to ride it at the very least, so I bought the BEST helmet I could buy. It turned out to be the Arai helmet. It was the lightest helmet I think that was made at the time and maybe still is. Long story short... I feel naked without my helmet now and even going down the street and back without kind of makes me nervous...

I second the light colors opinion... again, last bike, bought all black. naturally the black attracted the heat like no other... so again, I am out in shorts, tee-shirt, and no helmet.

My gear is a little better now... I have a mesh jacket and I generally wear jeans riding... but I have to tell you all. I am one of those IDIOTS out there that wears shorts and a t-shirt from time to time, especially when its hot. Always wear the helmet, but sometimes I will slack on the gear.

Cloud

Thanks ridercoach ... good stuff ... and when I see a biker on the highway with a tanktop, shorts, and sneakers, I immediately think squid and keep my distance.

Thanks guys for the input.

VFRGuy008 you are right there are other great helmets out there that meed the Snell rating and recieve a snell approval. I was just saying that Shoei and Arai are the only two helemets that I know of that exceed the Snell rating. Basically go above and beyond to make a safer helmet.
biggrin.gif
One of my favorite things is when the kids see us walking into the stores, they get wide eyed when we come in with all our gear. Love making them kids happy.

Cloud9 thanks for bringing up the heat thing. Tottaly forgot about that. Dark colors do attract the heat. Lighter the better right. As far as not wearing the safety gear when it gets hotter...We forgive you
laugh.gif
But talk to pac, he will give you inside story.
biggrin.gif

Thanks again guys for the replys. Please throw some stories and personal experiances in there to. People always learn from others mistakes...if you know what I mean..

biggrin.gif

I came off my bike about 15yrs ago, broke two bones in my hand and cracked my shoulder.
But the injurys that were the worst were the grazes.
They take weeks to heal, stick to everything and then require physio to stretch the new skin over joints
once they've finally healed. Horrible.

Now I always make sure I've got enough gear to slide down the road at 60mph and hopefully ( impacts not included )
get up at the end of it, pissed off about my bike but not a bloody lump of mince.

Your whole attitude about gear, changes when you experience the cost of not wearing it.
20mins of fun, 7 weeks of healing.

Thanks for the reminder... We can all use the reminders until they are burnt into our brains.

I'm looking forward to future chapters, RC
smile.gif

Thanks for the reminder Coach.

I was actually thinking bout riding to work in shorts this AM! Glad I didn't, I'da felt pretty emabarrased after readin gyour good common sense post!
blush.gif

Nice Work, Thanks man...  I was going to ask where it was but then I realized...  Man this is a lot of work...  So you decide if your going to do it weekly...  Bi-weekly would be ok too... Don't hurt  yourself with these man, thats alot of typing up there.

Now a good Place for Gear NewEnough.com damn good prices, but mostly it's about the service, they treat you like a human and will take care of you until your 100% satisfied. You might save a few bucks elsewhere but NewEnough will have your stuff there as promised when promised... Top notch operation...

Rev..

Thanks again Coach.

Thanks again guys,

Mikey, mikey, mikey...thinking about riding with shorts on...Tis tis.. Your cut off from the whore post for a day.
tounge.gif
laugh.gif

Revlis, my hand was about to fall off after typing this one.
laugh.gif
I think im going to stick to a weekly post, unless I get a bug up my arse over a safety topic that needs to be discussed.

Please let me know if you are looking for a specific topic. That relates to safety of course
biggrin.gif
. Ill do my best to get that post out promptly.

laugh.gif

Thanks again guys,

Mikey, mikey, mikey...thinking about riding with shorts on...Tis tis.. Your cut off from the whore post for a day.
tounge.gif

laugh.gif

Revlis, my hand was about to fall off after typing this one.
laugh.gif
 I think im going to stick to a weekly post, unless I get a bug up my arse over a safety topic that needs to be discussed.

Please let me know if you are looking for a specific topic. That relates to safety of course
biggrin.gif
 . Ill do my best to get that post out promptly.
Whoops!!! Let me rephrase this man, Bi-Monthly... No twice a week every other week...
smile.gif
My Bad

laugh.gif

Colorado is one of those states that does not require a helmet.................the other day I was driving from Denver to home up north and started counting the number of riders that didn't have a helmet compared to those that did. Would you believe that only 1/4 to 1/3 of all riders I saw...........................................(nearly 30 total) .......were wearing helmets? Pretty sad................
sad.gif

Also remember to fasten the helmet. There was an accident here in town about 2 years ago. A car pulled out of a Motel into the path of a motorcycle he wasn't going fast but he hit the broad side of the car. The bad part was his helmet wasn't buckled and it popped off and he went over the car and his helmet less head hit the pavement. Just a couple of scrapes and bruses but about a month later he died of head injuries.

Colorado is one of those states that does not require a helmet.................the other day I was driving from Denver to home up north and started counting the number of riders that didn't have a helmet compared to those that did.  Would you believe that only 1/4 to 1/3 of all riders I saw...........................................(nearly 30 total) .......were wearing helmets?   Pretty sad................
sad.gif
That is odd man, I expect to see more of that here in Florida with heat being the excuse. But I see "MOST" sportbike riders wearing helmets as a minimum. I rarely see a rider without one, even on the casual hang out spots, most folks are wearing lids. It's that Damn Cruiser crowd that are apparantly allergic to helmets... Ah well...

Here's a reason to wear full gear..
This link is to an accident that happened less than a month ago to a 21 year old guy I knew in high school. People are reluctant to answer the question of if he had his gear & helmet on at the time.. but I wonder since it's Florida and hot as hell out. You can see it knocked him right out of his shoes in the video. Still no excuse. The link says he was in critical condition, but the fact is he's now paralyzed - a quadriplegic.. little use of both arms and legs. They're not sure if he'll regain any use of at least his hands. He was a linebacker in high school.. about 6'4 250 lbs, so even the biggest/strongest of us can get steamrolled by someone in a cage not paying attention.

http://weartv.com/news/Stories/may/0511/fwbax0511.shtml

Wear your gear and pay attention unless you want your mother/wife to be wiping your butt the rest of your life. :/

si.

bump.gif
For the New Folks...  READ THE WHOLE SET, Then ask some questions...  
smile.gif

Big Thanks and Credit to Rider Coach...  He put a lot of effort into these... Wear your Gear...

<!--EDIT|Revlis
Reason for Edit: None given...|1096899564 -->

Back