Motorcycle Safety Topic of the Week

Gear, Gear, Gear, When I go looking for a new helmet, my first words to the sales man is I want the best one made, price is not an option for my head. Anyways a new exhaust system cost more, what is actually worth more? an easy answer for all of us. Full leathers is a must for any serious ridding. Hardest thing to do for me is to find a safe place to store my gear, even if its 90 out still wear the gear. I was the first one at an acident one night, t shirt, jeans, no helmet on. It was not a pretty sight, they where doing 60mph and went over the bars. Since I was right behind them, we had to do CPR and everything else to stop the bleeding, we did our best to keep them alive. That happened 18 years ago to me, and its like it was yesterday. If you want to get burns fine, but if you want to stay alive when grandma pulls out in front of you or the deer jumps out from the woods you better have the brain bucket on.
Great stuff ridercoach I'm with you 100%!

Does anyone have a scorpion exo-700 helmet? Just wondering how good they are. The ad says they are as good as high dollar helmets, like a shoei or arai. I dont really believe that, but i have heard some good things about them. Just want to hear what a real rider thinks.

Never even seen one, anyone on the AMA or GP Circuit using them? If not that should answer your question if it's any good or not..

<!--EDIT|manatrader
Reason for Edit: None given...|1108091110 -->

thancks to everybody I am teaching my wife how to ride her bike and i already bought her the gear. keep up whit the good advise thanks.:laugh:

My first post ... on gear of course.

I don't have a motorcycle (as of yet) but looking at gear.  I will be taking "ABATE" (I guess what they call MFC here in Indiana) classes in mid August ... yes before I buy one, I need to see if I enjoy it first and if I can't get past the class I figure I have no reason to be on one.  I have been on the back of a motorcycle before (one time) with my brother but never actually driven one.

I know a few people that do ride ... mostly cruisers though.  I know of someone that had a Hayabusa (sold it) but he recommended the bike to me ... and I like the look of the bike, but I am concerned on the safety of it with a new rider.

I see that some people buy it as a first bike and some say don't ... I admit I don't know which direction I will end up going, but I could buy a new Hayabusa one without much trouble.  Cruisers prices seem much higher for some reason.

I went to the store to start purchasing the gear... and they said the first thing I should buy is a helmet.  I wasn't shopping for a helmet.  Figured I would get the boots and break them in and then the jacket next month and then the helmet in August.  I ignored the sales person since I don't even have a motorcycle no reason to have a helmet.

I tried a few helmets on just because they seemed to have a wide selection of them...yes I wear glasses.

Anyway, to the point. I was talking to one of the people I know that ride and they said to just get a skull cap.  The police use them and he said that research was done and that the 97% of deaths with a helemt comes from when the back of the helmet wedges on the back of the spine and crushes the 3rd or 4th bone in the neck (vertabre?).  I have also read that a full faced mask is the best you can get ... and I see the scratches on the post above on the helmet.

Any idea if this guy is just blowing smoke?  Any help?

My first post ... on gear of course.

I don't have a motorcycle (as of yet) but looking at gear.  I will be taking "ABATE" (I guess what they call MFC here in Indiana) classes in mid August ... yes before I buy one, I need to see if I enjoy it first and if I can't get past the class I figure I have no reason to be on one.  I have been on the back of a motorcycle before (one time) with my brother but never actually driven one.

I know a few people that do ride ... mostly cruisers though.  I know of someone that had a Hayabusa (sold it) but he recommended the bike to me ... and I like the look of the bike, but I am concerned on the safety of it with a new rider.

I see that some people buy it as a first bike and some say don't ... I admit I don't know which direction I will end up going, but I could buy a new Hayabusa one without much trouble.  Cruisers prices seem much higher for some reason.

I went to the store to start purchasing the gear... and they said the first thing I should buy is a helmet.  I wasn't shopping for a helmet.  Figured I would get the boots and break them in and then the jacket next month and then the helmet in August.  I ignored the sales person since I don't even have a motorcycle no reason to have a helmet.

I tried a few helmets on just because they seemed to have a wide selection of them...yes I wear glasses.

Anyway, to the point. I was talking to one of the people I know that ride and they said to just get a skull cap.  The police use them and he said that research was done and that the 97% of deaths with a helemt comes from when the back of the helmet wedges on the back of the spine and crushes the 3rd or 4th bone in the neck (vertabre?).  I have also read that a full faced mask is the best you can get ... and I see the scratches on the post above on the helmet.

Any idea if this guy is just blowing smoke?  Any help?
Everyone I've talked to that doesn't wear a helmet has some statistical proof as why they don't wear one. 97% of the deaths with a helmet may be of this result (I can't say) but I highly doubt if 97% of the deaths on motorcycles had on helmets. Everytime I read in the Columbus Dispatch of a motorcycle death I clip it out and staple to the garage wall beside my BUSA. Guess what of the 9 that are up there from this year, none of them had on helmets including the 2 women on the back. The best excuse (most rediculous) I've heard is "If I go down I don't want to suffer during rehab so I figure I'm better off dead" I guess that only works if you die instantly. I like one of the quotes I heard on this board "Dress for the crash, not the ride" or "i like the feel of the open road, just not on my bare skin". Please buy the helmet first and remove all of the temptation of "i'm just going down the street and back, what could possibly happen?".

The best excuse (most rediculous) I've heard is "If I go down I don't want to suffer during rehab so I figure I'm better off dead" I guess that only works if you die instantly.  I like one of the quotes I heard on this board "Dress for the crash, not the ride" or "i like the feel of the open road, just not on my bare skin".  
DWiz-
I was LMAO at you comments. I have heard people say similar things and you just walk off shaking your head. I have totaled one bike and wrecked 2, everytime with a helmet and jacket, gloves and boots. I have had to replece the gear each time because it got so beat up....I can't imagine what any one of those accidents would have done to bare skin.

Always wear my gear. If it's too hot for my helmet, it's too hot to ride.

Back up dudewizr ... My friend was telling me to get a skull cap type of helmet... he wasn't suggesting to me not to wear one, just wearing a "shorter style"(?).

Guess that is what I was asking ... would everyone say not get the skull cap type helmet?

Great topic. I drive on the Autobahn almost every time I go out - picture I-10 with 4 lanes and everyone is going at least 100 MPH (most drive well over 150) - and I never drive without my leathers, boots, track-gloves, turtle and helmet. I just noticed that nobody mentioned turtles - back protectors. I use one from Dainese like this. They aren't cheap (around 120$ over here), but I know of too many (current count is 5) people who get wrapped around sign posts, trees or road-railings and end up in a chair. Spend the money! Keep safe.

-- Steve

Thanks for the suggestions. The personal stories and product experiences got me to buy some protective gear. Because someone here gave a good review to Joe Rocket jackets, I checked their web site, which does a fine job of hiding the differences between the many models.
For general interest, here are my notes:
Differences between Joe Rocket jackets (per web site and phone conversation)
all have density body armor in elbows and shoulders,
removable spine pad with pocket for optional CE. spine protector,
Adjustable waistband and Elastic sleeve adjusters (to hold armor tightly to arm).
Newer jackets will have CE approved spine protector (but dual density is excellent also)

Hot weather: Alter Ego & Rasp & Meteor 5.0 have removable panels w/mesh underneath; Riot, Pheonix & Rio are mesh only
Alter Ego Removable waterproof inner liner  & Zipper for optional Sahara Vest $250-265
Rasp Free-airâ„¢ mesh torso panels with zip-on cover (vertical) & Removable insulated vest liner,
molded TPR shoulders and elbows  
Meteor 5.0 has Free-airâ„¢ mesh torso panel with zip-on cover (earlier ones do not)

Riot is mesh only, Integrated kidney belt, Molded external armor on shoulders, elbows and back $200-215
Pheonix 3.0 is mesh only, Removable waterproof inner liner, Perforated dual density body armor in shoulders and elbows, Zipper for optional Sahara Vest or Dry Tech® liner $140-$160
Rio is mesh only, Perforated dual density body armor in shoulders and elbows,  Zipper for optional Sahara Vest or Dry Tech® Liner  $100-115

Ballistic is the only waist coat length  

Ebay has quite a number of used and new jackets at good prices. However, it might be wise to check the model number, For example Meteor 4.0 are still being sold as new but only the latest model, Meteor 5.0, has removable panels for better cooling in hot weather.

Like what you are saying. I have always said "if you have a $10 head wear a $10 dollar helmet". Also remember to dress for the crash not the ride, keep up the great work!:

Where can one get custom fitted gear. I am 6'4 @ 180lbs and so far have been unable to find riding leather pants for myself. Any clues on where I can get a set that fits?

Thanks
Joe

My helmet after being hit head on by a cager in March, 05.

Trust me guys, wear your gear. Always. I was 2 miles from home after a Dr appointment. My gear saved my life. The leathers were cut off but did their job nicely.

March_Helmet.jpg

GTR, hope you and your wife are recover fully, Gear is a blessing, 100% geared, 100% of the time.Never gotten hurt coming off fast, almost hit a deer in a corner end up coming off @ 30, got stov-all-up. Junked brand new Arai, but it did it's job. Still can't get some people to see the difference between $19.95 helmet & 629.95 one.

I can help with all of your safety gear needs here in Central Florida.  I work for Cycle Gear and the store in Orlando is 8700 square feet of gear for all types of riding.

Gear up and ride safe!!

Cyclegear.com
Might check out your store next time I'm in Orlando. I'm going to need "everything." A salesperson's wet dream of a customer.

After a cager turned in front of me, and me sliding across the intersection and walking a way with just a scraped knee, my left boot had a deep gouge in the toe, (don't know what might have happened to my foot if I would have had on tennis shoes.) I will always wear my gear. I was in on the Kobe Jacket and Pants group buy, love them. Dress for the crash and not the ride.

I can say from experience that riding without the right gear is the worse mistake one can do. My other bike is a Harley Road King and tho I always rode with my lethers and boots I wore a brain buster helmet to be cool and look right on a Harley. What you don't think about is the other person and the other person in my case was the road crew just finishing up the newly paved road and in haste the get out of work for the weekend forgot to put up the signs warning you of the rapidly upcoming 90 degree turn. Since the curve was right on the other side of a crest in the road I had no time to do much but lay it over and ride it out. And ride it out I did right into the gaurdrail at 50 mph. All went well till my face kissed the handlebars then there was nothing. No white light, no sounds, no nothing .. just blackness. Had I completed my gear with a good full faced helmet the docs say my memory loss would have not have returned faster and better. The discs in my neck and back would have been beat up anyways and those are still recovering well but besides good thick leather you can not spare the cash on getting into a cheap helmet no matter what. The Harley is doing fine, It's all rebuilt and sitting pretty in the garage. I don't ride it much anymore since I got my 06 LE. One more note here .. tho the advice in this area of our forum is the best around I tend to disagree with jeans only including the thicker woven one for riding. I've seen photos of them after fellow riders have gone down at 100 plus and it's a grusome sight. I still throw on my chaps just to ride to the store ..why you ask? Because I been there.

Back