Motorcycle Miss-haps, share your story here

I was on my first bike (don't remember what it was) racing my sister on her horse in our field. When I got close to the fence I locked up the rear brake and went down. As I was sliding some rocks shattered the crank case. I rode it back to the house and it never started again. $125 bucks down the drain when I was about 15 years old.

So eight years ago, I purchased my beloved Busa and have been loving it ever since. But on my third ride on my brand new bike I made a mistake. I was out riding with my friend that afternoon and we were stopped at a red light waiting to make a left hand turn. At the intersection my friend was in front of me at the light. As we get the flashing arrow to make the left hand turn, I apply some throttle and slowly release the clutch out and attempt to move forward. As I let the clutch out the bike starts to pull forward it stalls. At this point my friend has already started to enter the intersection and is proceeding up the street. I clutch in, the fuel pump pressures up and I start the engine again. I give it a bit more gas this time release the clutch and.... the bike stalls again. Starting to get frustrated as there are vehicles behind me also waiting to turn I start the engine yet again. On my third attempt I twist the throttle even more, release the clutch and stall again. Now at this point cars are starting to honk and I am feeling very embarrassed. What happens next is even more embarrassing, and I really shouldn't have been worried yet. So I get the engine started the 3rd time, I rev the engine up, now I wasn't looking at the tach but from the sound and vibration in the seat I'd say it was probably at about 3500-4000 rpm. I release the clutch.

Now anyone who has been in a motor vehicle or motor bike accident knows everything happens in slooooow mooootion. Your perception of time stops, all the sounds fade away and what probably takes 3 seconds feels like it was 10 minutes. So as descriptive as this next part is it all really happened in a matter of moments. So I hear the bike come to life with a roar and the next thing I know I am face planting the asphalt (thank god for a full face lids), I slam my right knee into the pavement and as I look up all I see is my Busa tearing across the intersection on its left fairing, the muffler is sparking as its heading towards the meridian 4 lanes away. Now at this moment as I sit on all 4's looking up in horror as my baby is skidding across the pavement, all I can do is but think please do not hit another car, please do not hit another car. Crawling forward I do what anyone would do in this situation, I leap to my feet and proceed to sprint the 100m dash across 4 lanes of traffic in the attempt to catch my bike before it hits anything else in its path of destruction. Now to the passing motorist I am sure this was a pure spectacle, and every time they see a sports bike I am sure they remember the time they saw the 6'4 man being ejected from his seat and then sprint across the road giving chase to his bike.

So as the bike slides to a halt and I promptly catch up to it, all I can see is fresh oil is spewing from the stator cover. So with The Hulk like strength I squat down and pick the bike up in one single motion. The engine still running, I turn it off and do the walk of shame to the adjacent parking lot. There was a kind enough motorist who caught up to my buddy at the next intersection and told him I bailed. My buddy returned in about 2 minutes and proceeded to make sure I was okay. Aside from a bruised ego, a rashed knee and some leaking oil, the situation could have been a lot worse.

My friend seeing that there is now oil on the roadway does the right thing and he calls the fire dept. He reported that there is an oil spill on the road from a crashed motorcycle but there were no injuries. He tells the dispatcher that its more of an environmental issue. So appx 4 mins later a big fire truck shows up with lights and sirens blaring and blocks off 2 lanes of traffic for the oil spill. Now I am sure it was a slow day and all but these guys take their job seriously. Now to further the insult to injury.

At this moment I am feeling a bit rattled, all the fire fighters are gathered around my bike looking at the damage and giving me their condolences. One of the fire fighters rode as well so he knew my pain. So one of the guys asks me how long have I been riding the bike for, so trying to save face I tell him "oh, I've had it for about a year", my buddy looks up and says "what are you talking about? The bike has 100 km on it" Busted. I felt like a douche.

So the bike was fixed for the sum of appx $800.00 once it was out of the body shop. I had a friend who managed one and he helped me out with the cost. I get my baby back about 2 weeks later and ride my pride an joy to work. As I get to work that morning and I am parking, I put my right foot down, and as I am kicking the stand out my right foot slides on all the pea gravel in the parking lot, the tires follow and I dump the bike on its right side (opposite side) the day after I got it back.

FML

:laugh: while sitting on a blackbird in the showroom i slipped and fell over while on the bike and fell with the bike into 3 others on display!!!!!!!!!!!

i told the guy it was my first off in 20 years :rofl: he didnt laugh though:whistle:

i bought the bike with a dented tank which i fixed but **** i didnt really want the bike but felt guilty as id done damage to others:banghead::banghead::banghead:

i used other dealers for quite some time after that :laugh:

I have a buddy just get his Busa back from being fixed up from a small spill he had. We were about to get some maintenance done on the Busa's when I ask him to back his up a bit so I can get BB out of the garage. He does; however, he forgot to put the kickstand down. In sloooooow motion, his bike falls over, but not before he does an Indiana Jones move and slid under his bike. I guess he understood skin heals on it's own, fairings don't. I felt terrible for him. His quote for the next week was, "Why would someone just drop their bike like that?"

my first streetbike was a 1985 Honda Interceptor 500...i stopped at a stop sign and my foot slipped and it fell over on the left side, went to pick it up and just when i got it straight up it fell over on the other side...:banghead:

Thanks everyone for sharing the stories! CalgaryBusa, man that was a doozy!, I remember my first `busa and having that issue a couple (maybe a few:laugh:) of time stalling it when I first got it...never a gost ride launch though:laugh:
A couple of things I usually caution to newer riders, is the sand at intersections (Springtime, before the street sweeper trucks make their rounds), and oil at convienience stores/gas stations.
My cousin worked at a Full Service Gas Station many years ago and told me about a PO who pulled up on his bike and attempted to fill without dismounting the bike and it fell over on him..my cousin said all he could do was laugh at him `cause the guy had threw the book at him a few days earlier when he pulled him over for speeding in his `72 Cutlass Supreme.

Back