Motorcycle Miss-haps, share your story here

Gitonit!

Registered
:laugh:, I remember the day very clearly; I road my new 1979 DS 100 over to the neighbors house to see if my friend wanted to ride (he was older than me about 5-6 years and had a new CR125). I pull into the driveway where my friends father was using the water hose to wash the drive down..well my friend was busy so I get ready to leave and throw my leg over the bike and the kick starter went up my pant-leg and I fell over, from a combination of the driveway being wet and slightly sloped.My friends father I remember laughed so hard, I dont think he could even come to my assistance....talk about embarrasing.
Here is one my cousin told me; said when he got his first streetbike he was sooo proud and excited...loving every second of that first ride..untill he had to stop for gas..got off the bike and walked toward the store without putting the kick stand down:laugh:

How about you, any ooops to share???

I had my first bike just last spring. Was a 98 gsxr 750 and was learning to ride. I came into my apartment building and backed it into my spot cause I saw my friend ride by and thought she might stop and sure enough here she came around the corner. We sat and talked for a bit and she wanted to go inside to hang out (both married) so that wasnt the deal, we all hung out and was safe. She got me into riding as our spouses wouldnt ride. I agreed to go inside and stepped off the bike and never put the kickstand down......WHAM over it goes on its left side and onto the frame sliders so broke the clutch lever and zero damage to the bike but gouged the **** out of my shin when it hit my leg. WHOOPS!

I have forgotten to take off the disc lock on the wheel more than twice and impressive endo at the rotor and fenders expense:whistle:

Then there was one of my first bikes...... before there was a kick stand safety on bikes to turn the bike off when the kick stand is down and the bike is in gear..... Another impressive stunt when I went to make that left turn after I was already going a pretty good pace :whistle: :laugh:

Yes, I can see being a new rider and sitting there for a bit could have been a factor in why you forgot...yep bet that was embarrassing too.

Yes, I can see being a new rider and sitting there for a bit could have been a factor in why you forgot...yep bet that was embarrassing too.

Yep very! They were all impressed at what I did, then they laughed their asses off when they saw my rotor and fender

1985. First bike. Yamaha Seca 400. Was so excited that I just bought this bike CASH from me hard Earned wages at the time that I forgot to put my legs down at a stop sign. Dropped it the very first ride I had on it. I was so Embarrased :hide:

In 1978 or 1979 riding along on my GS750, started to rain so I stopped at a lay-by to put my wet gear on, went to kick the side stand down as I got off, just clipped it and landed up on the floor with the bike on top of me. If was heavy to get back up.

The police have this motorcycle rodeo where they ride through a course and do thid who can go the slowest over 40 feet thing. It actually pretty amazing how those guys handle those big HD's loaded with stuff! Well this one guy fell and when he put his back to the bike to walk it back up he forgot to put the kickstand down. He walked it right over on it's other side! You can't help anyone the course so we all sat there watching this guy loose it and feeling bad for the dude.

My first street bike was a Honda CB350. I was riding it in the yard and grabbed a handful of front brake. Front end washed out real quick. :laugh:

I had a 79 Yamaha 750 I parked it in the grass, put the kickstand down on a rock. I got about 5 feet away and the bike was on its side.

I was at work and rode the R6 to lunch one time. I didn't tuck my work boot laces in. During the ride my lace got wrapped around the shift lever. I pulled in the parking spot, tried to put my foot down and couldn't. The bike started to fall that way too. I put all my weight on that side, hopping off the bike to catch it. At the last second my lace came untied and I was able to catch the bike about 2 inches from laying on its side! I tuck all my laces now, no matter what. :laugh:

I had just bought a brand new bike, first ride, I'm going up the highway and it dies. I call my friends for help, terrified I blew up my engine. Half an hour later on the side of I91, I notice that I accidentally hit the kill switch while I was riding.

Is that it? Fess up I know we have over 30K members and probably and accumaleted billion miles and maybe a fewthousand years of seat time here we got less than a dozen post:poke: :laugh:

I remembered another one; a friend of mine aquired an old Harley Davidson dirtbike and after doing some work to it (plug, clean out tank/carb) he still couldn`t get it started, so we haul it with us out to the AZ Desert and he wants me to try and pull start it using my truck...ok, he gets it all hooked up and gives me the `ready` so I take off nice and easy, I`m not sure what went wrong, but he layed it down right away and I drug him and the bike for 10 feet or so before I realize what happened.
RIP- Robby, killed in a vehicle accident in 1991, Fathers Day, guy ran a Stoplight and hit his car, he was maybe 21yrs. young.

First bike GSXR-750. Decided to turn around on wet grass. Well dropped the bike no damage though. Most recent was dropped Busa in garage. Moving her around to check tire pressure of all things. Only small scratch to stater cover.

went to the beach and hauled my busa and a friends, it was 600 miles all together up and back... made it up there without a hitch, on the way back i dropped my friendf and his bike off about 20 miles from home, then headed on my way... coming down the highway i was about 7-10 miles from my home hit a bump, both strapos on the Busa broke and it laid half on the trailer and half off...

Hi guys.

I been on the boards since 99 but quit last year.

I still have 2 Hayabusas....a 99 with over 70,000 and an 04 with around 28.000.

We had severe floods a few weeks ago and the 04 got taken down the crick. It laid in a depression for a few days before the water receded enough for us to see it. It was near one of my trucks that is still not running either.

Me and the boy have started taking it apart today. It is a hell of a mess. There was many quarts of water/oil/dirt that came out the drain. Everything is full of dirt....fine silt....everything. We took the throttle bodies off and three holes were full to the top with muddy, oily, water....the fourth had very little.

The alternator cover was taken off and it had a lot of sludge. The clutch cover had gritty oil in it.

I have many more stories but I need to know if there is anyone here with experience cleaning up a busa that's been in this situation...?

I hope I can contribute here and hope you all enjoy what I have to offer.

Hi guys.

I been on the boards since 99 but quit last year.

I still have 2 Hayabusas....a 99 with over 70,000 and an 04 with around 28.000.

We had severe floods a few weeks ago and the 04 got taken down the crick. It laid in a depression for a few days before the water receded enough for us to see it. It was near one of my trucks that is still not running either.

Me and the boy have started taking it apart today. It is a hell of a mess. There was many quarts of water/oil/dirt that came out the drain. Everything is full of dirt....fine silt....everything. We took the throttle bodies off and three holes were full to the top with muddy, oily, water....the fourth had very little.

The alternator cover was taken off and it had a lot of sludge. The clutch cover had gritty oil in it.

I have many more stories but I need to know if there is anyone here with experience cleaning up a busa that's been in this situation...?

I hope I can contribute here and hope you all enjoy what I have to offer.

Welcome back anselmo, sounds like your on the right track...get a good shop manual and take lots of pictures...take it all apart, clean and put back together is the best I could suggest (besides starting a new thread to ask for help...lots of knowledge here on the org.).
Sounds like a good father/son project though.

Thank Gitonit....I usually do take pics but I haven't so far. I've done a lot of work on the 99s before...never split the cases or took the head off. I have the 99 service manual. I think they're pretty much the same except the fuel pump...

On my first bike, I stopped at a stop one time once and forgot to put my feet down and just let the bike fall on it's side. Another time the bike died and I thought the engine had died. Called a tow truck and got a tow back home $200. When I got home my friend told me I ran out of gas. Yeah good times.

Took the headers off....full of mud and water. I believe that's how all the mud got in the oil, motor and tranny. Drilled mufflers were full of dried mud too.

I took the turn signal and starter button housings off....full of dried mud. When I took the end caps off the handle bars, water poured out.

Going to drop the oil pan and the motor next. Very messy job. Constantly cleaning the lift and floor around it.

The police have this motorcycle rodeo where they ride through a course and do thid who can go the slowest over 40 feet thing. It actually pretty amazing how those guys handle those big HD's loaded with stuff! Well this one guy fell and when he put his back to the bike to walk it back up he forgot to put the kickstand down. He walked it right over on it's other side! You can't help anyone the course so we all sat there watching this guy loose it and feeling bad for the dude.

Poor guy:rofl:

Back