Moments in history

Hitler, unexplained events and one I wish they would show some of is the settlers in Roanoke, Va. that went poof.

all i mostly watch is the Discovery and History channels (as well as comedy channel).. and i just love that ####.

i've always been interested in old Mayan, Aztec, Incan, ect temples like the ones in central Mexico. I have a few friends who are in Mexico, and im trying to convince them on going (my spanish isnt as good as it use to be), only problem is flying into mexico is mad $$, and taking the bus's there (really nice benz tour buses, flip down lcd screens.. #### better then here sometimes).. but 1 of those to mexico city are around $500 American 1 way. is one thing id LOVE to do. Which is always made me wonder how someone can be an Archeologist and get paid to do it.. thats something id LOVE to do.. but as far as making a living doing it.. i dont see how that happenes.
rock.gif

Hitler, unexplained events and one I wish they would show some of is the settlers in Roanoke, Va. that went poof.
Visit the Outer Banks and see a play called "Ther Lost Colony" it's pretty cool about how that settlement was assimilated by the local Indians so the Pilgrims could survive the winter.

I enjoy art history and revolutions.

all i mostly watch is the Discovery and History channels (as well as comedy channel).. and i just love that ####.  

i've always been interested in old Mayan, Aztec, Incan, ect temples like the ones in central Mexico.  I have a few friends who are in Mexico, and im trying to convince them on going (my spanish isnt as good as it use to be), only problem is flying into mexico is  mad $$, and taking the bus's there (really nice benz tour buses, flip down lcd screens.. #### better then here sometimes).. but 1 of those to mexico city are around $500 American 1 way.  is one thing id LOVE to do.  Which is always made me wonder how someone can be an Archeologist and get paid to do it.. thats something id LOVE to do.. but as far as making a living doing it.. i dont see how that happenes.  
rock.gif
You gotta cross the border in Tijuana or other border city and grab a flight from there. It is much cheaper that way... I've been to Chichen Itza, quite magnificent. That bus ride sounds interesting, my boy in Virginia is all about Historia de Aztlan. He has done the bus tour all over Mexico. I would love to do it but I already spent a month down there with my pops last year and drove my Yukon...

i've always been interested in old Mayan, Aztec, Incan, ect temples like the ones in central Mexico. I have a few friends who are in Mexico, and im trying to convince them on going (my spanish isnt as good as it use to be), only problem is flying into mexico is mad $$, and taking the bus's there (really nice benz tour buses, flip down lcd screens.. #### better then here sometimes).. but 1 of those to mexico city are around $500 American 1 way. is one thing id LOVE to do. Which is always made me wonder how someone can be an Archeologist and get paid to do it.. thats something id LOVE to do.. but as far as making a living doing it.. i dont see how that happenes.
rock.gif
You gotta cross the border in Tijuana or other border city and grab a flight from there. It is much cheaper that way... I've been to Chichen Itza, quite magnificent. That bus ride sounds interesting, my boy in Virginia is all about Historia de Aztlan. He has done the bus tour all over Mexico. I would love to do it but I already spent a month down there with my pops last year and drove my Yukon...
im actually thinking of taking a cruise to mexico.. cause 2 of the stops is old temples. im in AZ, so going to el paso for the port would be nothen.

I'm hooked on the History channel , Discovery , National Geographic and The science channel . Oh , and lets not forget The Military channel and Speed Channel. what intrest me most of history isn't WWII although I spend a lot of time watching programs about it , But I'm fasinated about the Khan's Ghengis and his son's . Ghengis was never defeated in battle and after his death his son's would have counqered europe if not for the untimely death of the present Khan. They had to withdraw from there campaign to go back and elect a new leader. And would have invaded Japan if not for a typhoon that sunk their entire fleet in the sea of Japan.
AS far a science goes Carl Segan is the man.

Carl Sagan is very interesting...

Pretty much everything mentioned I've watched something about...makes you want to go back in time doesn't it? Well, minus maybe the plague and the Spanish Inquisition
laugh.gif

Medieval times...now that's intriguing...

I like a lot of war history, not because I'm a war monger but because some of man's greatest innovations have come from it. I especially liked the Robert Ballard special when he explored Truck Lagoon, I think aka Iron Bottom Sound, where the US de-floated a large portion of the Japanese fleet.

Every now and then, a bit of soviet documentary footage comes out that boggles the mind. The stuff those crazy bastards got up to, geez. Check this out - Caspian Sea Monster. http://www.davidszondy.com/future/Flight/GEV.htm
Anything to do with war engineering without any constraints always gets my interest. late night history channel. another topic - That doco on Eileen Wornos freaked me out a bit. i watched it twice.

Industral revelations Discovery channel UK (presenter is the guy that plays Mr Weasley in the Harry Potter films). First iron bridge, first steam engine, first railway in the world, clever guys them early Victorians.
cool.gif

Channels:
History, History-Int'l., Discovery, NG, Science and Military.

Program genre:
Any war history or weapons of war (WWII mostly) but also shows like Battleplan that illustrate teachings of successful warfare tactics and how they are still utilized today.  Also, history on Hitler...I am just dumbfounded that an individual can influence an entire civilized nation in such a way.  How can such an individual have the largest sole impact on global society in modern history?

Modern Marvels, How Do They Do That?, and other engineering feats.

<!--EDIT|Over_Easy
Reason for Edit: None given...|1155824530 -->

I've always had interests in conspiracies (i.e. JFK, Martin Luther King, etc.), biblical stories (i.e. life and death of Jesus, etc.), and great tragedies (i.e. the Hindenburgh, the Titanic, 9/11, etc.)

I've always had interests in conspiracies (i.e. JFK, Martin Luther King, etc.), biblical stories (i.e. life and death of Jesus, etc.), and great tragedies (i.e. the Hindenburgh, the Titanic, 9/11, etc.)
Did you happen to see a show on the History Channel recently about the Spear of Jesus...possible ties of this spear to the one that pierced the side of Jesus during Crucifixion and how it's been passed through history, changed by each owner?

Interesting show...

I caught the ending of it. Pisses me off when I catch the end of something without the beginning. Can't make good educated conversation when you only know half the story.
wink.gif

I caught the ending of it.  Pisses me off when I catch the end of something without the beginning.  Can't make good educated conversation when you only know half the story.
wink.gif
Well, like most of those shows, they never really draw a firm conclusion, but it was interesting nonetheless
smile.gif

You need TiVo my friend! Find it at a later time/date, record it and watch it when you have time
biggrin.gif

The shroud of Turin was examined at the University of Arizona radiocarbon lab by one of my professors while I was an undergrad there. I was always interested in biblical archaeology as well, but didn't catch the show on the spear. I imagine that the wood could be dated, though? Did they mention anything about that?

The shroud of Turin was examined at the University of Arizona radiocarbon lab by one of my professors while I was an undergrad there.  I was always interested in biblical archaeology as well, but didn't catch the show on the spear.  I imagine that the wood could be dated, though?  Did they mention anything about that?
I'd have to see it again to recall all of the details, but at the heart of this spear is what they believe is a nail very similar in structure and dating back to the nails used during crucifixions of the time.  They can date each part of this spear and tell what ruler or soldier added what to it, but at the heart of it is this one nail...scientists were not allowed to take any samples from the spear, so no carbon dating could be done.  They were trying to determine if it was the spear rumored to be the one that pierced Jesus' side or had the Nazis merely replicated a spear and hid the real one; it was owned by the Nazis and supposedly handed over to an American soldier during WWII, but even that part of the spear's history is rumor...

Link to 3 upcoming shows...it was on Discovery, not the History channel (sorry)  
wink.gif

Spear of Jesus

<!--EDIT|VaBusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1155841980 -->

Back