Moments in history

VaBusa

oRg Gal
Staff member
Administrator
So, I'm pretty hooked on the HISTORY and HISTORY INT'L channels...last night I was watching something about Hitler's plans for a new capital city for Germany, immense buildings to top those of the great Roman Empire, everything revolving around himself, the Nazi symbolism abounds; the ego this man oozed was unreal...

Anyway, it made me think about the things in our history that really interest me, things that I seek to know more about...my obsessions for years include the JFK assassination, anything about ancient Greece, the Great Pyramids of Giza...for some odd reason I have a fixation on serial killers; don't ask
laugh.gif

What kind of history piques your interest?  
biggrin.gif

And the history of the bikini won't count
laugh.gif
Just a joke fellas...everyone chuckle...
tounge.gif

laugh.gif

Sorry guido...we posted at the same time...I was beginning to hear crickets in my thread, figured some were scratching their heads
biggrin.gif

I like history shows that center around the unknown and unexplainable. Mysteries of the world and the universe. And anything to do with cars and motorcycles ...
tounge.gif

I enjoy reading about, or watching anything about
Ethnobotony and the endless search and discovery of Rain Forest medicinal plants...
I have met Mark Plotkin and read everything he has written...
Also spent a lot of time researching Richard Schultes, the Grandfather of Ethnobotony...
If any of you ever get the chance, read Tales of a Shamans Apprentice...
It's an interesting read about the history of, and discovery of nearly all modern medicines...

David

See, I learned a new word - ETHNOBOTONY...hrmmm, interesting stuff David...
smile.gif

Anything about the universe is fascinating...almost daunting to look at pics we get today and know they're from so long ago...aka "confuse a blonde"
wink.gif

Do a search for Mark J Plotkin...
Very interesting stuff...
A million Rain Forest Indians can't be wrong...
They have been curing things for thousands of years...
We are just beginning to scratch the surface of their vast knowledge of Medicines and cures...

David

Anything about the universe is fascinating...almost daunting to look at pics we get today and know they're from so long ago...
How 'bout this ... since light travels at a finite speed, when you look at something ... anything ... you're always looking at it in the past ....
I know...now stop freaking me out LOL

My Dad was always in to astronomy, so I grew up flipping through all of his books from college...I'm still like that little kid when I read about the universe...wonder how people can go through life and not wonder how it all works...

That's it for my deep thought today...I need a Pepsi...
laugh.gif

Do a search for Mark J Plotkin...
Very interesting stuff...
A million Rain Forest Indians can't be wrong...
They have been curing things for thousands of years...
We are just beginning to scratch the surface of their vast knowledge of Medicines and cures...

David
Does it include using the poison from dart frogs?
wink.gif

I'll go Google him now...
smile.gif

I worked alongside a few paleoethnobotonists (say that five times fast!!) during my field training in grad school. Interesting stuff indeed. I myself am interested in the archaeology of the southwestern US. My thesis in school was on settlement patterns of the sonoran desert dwelling Hohokam Indians. In terms of medicinal plants and traditional healing, the Hohokam were very advanced in their ability to utilize species found only in their arid environment.

I worked alongside a few paleoethnobotonists (say that five times fast!!) during my field training in grad school.  Interesting stuff indeed.  I myself am interested in the archaeology of the southwestern US.  My thesis in school was on settlement patterns of the sonoran desert dwelling Hohokam Indians.  In terms of medicinal plants and traditional healing, the Hohokam were very advanced in their ability to utilize species found only in their arid environment.
OK, so what does all that mean in ENGLISH? (By the way, "Dagwood" is a good little piece of American history. Or, at least, "Americana." Or something like that.)

Aztec and Mayan history, how did they know the stuff they did?? All the mystry history is what I like, the stuff that cant really be explained, like the pyramids,stone henge, easter Island, Dropa stones, Atlantis and all the weird stuff.

hey Va have you ever read the books by john douglas Journey into Darkness, or mindhunters he was an FBI profiler those books are definitely worth the read if you like the things on serial killers, cause I do to. but just anything concerning history I like, I watch the history channel and discovery more than any other channel I have

Nice and simple....I like the history of idioms....stuff like:

[*]"Burn the candle at both ends"  (Romans actually did this)
[*]"Bury the hatchet" (Iroquois would actually bury a weapon in the ground to symbolize peace)
[*]"Mind your Ps and Qs" (a few different theories on this one)

The history of the roman empire (hence my tattoo). It's effects on actual world events. The transition to the Holy Roman Empire. The Empire's suppression of tangible explanations for superior ancient technology.....

thanks for bringing me back Va!

Um... the history of technology, early mechanics, steam engines, and the first nintendo!
tounge.gif

Threw that in for the us young guys.

Back