Modes

gtfire

Registered
I'm itching to get my hands on my new Busa. So to keep me calm and occupied till I do can u tell me about these strange power modes?! Does it re-set to full power every time you re start the bike, does the lowest setting help in the wet etc if not why did Suzuki do it?

Yes it resets. And no, you won't use them. :laugh:

I always forget about the mode switch. Last year I rode in rain for 6 1/2 hours and after it quit, I'm like "crap, I should have put it in C mode" :rofl:

If anyone needs less power to ride in the rain...what they actually need is more skill.
It's all in the wrist. Practice.
The mode switch defaults to A mode(full power)at every start up. Leave it there and learn to ride it there.
Power can get you in trouble, and power can also get you out of trouble.
Quick acceleration to get out of the way of the idiot about to run you over. Not, "Oh no, it's in C mode and it's a slug, I can't get out of the way in time". It may only be a second of difference, but the car going 60mph is traveling 88 feet per second. Every little bit counts.
No disrespect to anyone, but the mode switch was no more than clever marketing. A way to sell Busas to those who can't handle it's power. Which is funny, because again, it's all in the wrist.

I don't have a Gen2 but everybody I know who has 1 or rode 1 says they never use the modes :laugh:

I've got caught in a couple rainstorms on my Gen1 and I used the modes too.... A- throttle B- brakes C- Clutch...... idk? they worked just fine 4 me :whistle:

Your saying what I thought, why have a mode for power when u have a throttle which has infinity mode's.

Still like the rest of you I'll try it once just to see, and then never use it again.

I used it once to show my brother-in-law what his zzz 12 felt like compared to the Busa. Lol

I used myne for like an hour when I got it but my bmw1150gs what I parted exed for the busa was more responsive than the lower modes left me thinking what's going to happen as I twisted the throttle and nothing where as in A mode its all their and its just a case of throttle control

I'm also of the used-it-once-to-try-it-out group. Wonder how much trouble it would be to repurpose that switch? :whistle: I always need more switches... Maybe I'll pull it apart while I've got the bike in pieces for winter mods...

Hmmmmm

I'm also of the used-it-once-to-try-it-out group. Wonder how much trouble it would be to repurpose that switch? :whistle: I always need more switches... Maybe I'll pull it apart while I've got the bike in pieces for winter mods...

Hmmmmm

I've heard of people putting different maps in those switches for turbo bikes, etc. Pretty slick. If I'm not mistaken they could do it in ECU Editor..

I've heard of people putting different maps in those switches for turbo bikes, etc. Pretty slick. If I'm not mistaken they could do it in ECU Editor..

Unfortunately no, you can't use the mode switch for multiple maps in Ecu Editor.

The problem with B and C mode is not the reduced power, it is the reduced response.
The timing and fuel maps are retarded to the point that the throttle does not respond when you want it to or need it to.
My old GSXR1100(116hp) made about the same power as my busa in C mode(113hp), but the GSXR would absolutely rape the busa in C mode.

It is basically a useless gimmic, which I do use once a year to remind myself how dumb manufacturers can be.

The problem with B and C mode is not the reduced power, it is the reduced response.
The timing and fuel maps are retarded to the point that the throttle does not respond when you want it to or need it to.
My old GSXR1100(116hp) made about the same power as my busa in C mode(113hp), but the GSXR would absolutely rape the busa in C mode.

It is basically a useless gimmic, which I do use once a year to remind myself how dumb manufacturers can be.

Based solely on your response the mode selector does exactly what it's supposed to do.

I have used c mode one time when riding through the mountains and the road got frosty. Probably didn't need it but it was good for a little piece of mind. Since the lower gears are timing retarded anyway, if you are using common sense, you'll probably never need to use the other modes.

Hello there guys, I am getting my Gen 2 on Saturday and can't wait :)

When I turn it on it does not show any modes, I need to switch it to A so my question is what power is there if it is just blank without any mode showing?

The modes don't show unless you change it. If nothing is showing it's in A mode.

Shame ECU editor doesn't let you load multiple maps and Woolrich does. Next question is why not ECU editor? and what's the difference between the software?

Well said! If you really want to understand throttle control I would highly recommend a dirt riding school. The dynamics apply exactly the same on the street as far as how the bike reacts to throttle/brake input however, in the dirt they are more pronounced and happen much faster. You will learn skills that make you a much safer rider.

As everyone else has said, A mode is the default and it is on whether you see a mode or not when you first start the bike. Your bike also has front/rear ABS as well!

If anyone needs less power to ride in the rain...what they actually need is more skill.
It's all in the wrist. Practice.
The mode switch defaults to A mode(full power)at every start up. Leave it there and learn to ride it there.
Power can get you in trouble, and power can also get you out of trouble.
Quick acceleration to get out of the way of the idiot about to run you over. Not, "Oh no, it's in C mode and it's a slug, I can't get out of the way in time". It may only be a second of difference, but the car going 60mph is traveling 88 feet per second. Every little bit counts.
No disrespect to anyone, but the mode switch was no more than clever marketing. A way to sell Busas to those who can't handle it's power. Which is funny, because again, it's all in the wrist.

Back