MO License Plate Laws

AztecKanji

Registered
Just wondering if anyone is familiar with the license plate laws here in Missouri. I'm in Kansas City and when I do my undertail kit I am going to relocate my plate and wanted to know if the plate has to be horizontal and if it must be illuminated?

Thanks!

:welcome: i am sure someone will pipe up quickly on that question

Thanks a lot! Any recommendations on lighting if I do a vertical tag mount to the axle? Saw one on ebay for 20 bux plus shipping. I think i've heard of some leds or something that double as thumbscrews??? I'm gonna google it now but just wondering?

After you check with MO, check with any state you plan to ride in. Our laws in Oklahoma on plate display apply to everyone. My advice is to keep it close to the stock position add a white light and some type of reflector, either tape or plastic. If you want to comply with the law and avoid hassles. I prefer being left alone to enjoy the ride. You never know who has a pet peeve for these things. Last thing I want to do is give them my $$. You rarely win roadside arguments. :whistle:

"Readily visible and illuminated" I believe is how it's put. Going to depend on the cop that's looking at it. Most seem to be ok with just being able to see it, but your going to run across one eventually who's idea of "visible and illuminated" is the stock position.
Myself, I'd keep it horizontal, and on the rear of the undertail somewhere.

I tried to check MO law and gave it up. I would check out the law myself. SC changed their law a few years ago to allow vertical mounting. Still has to be mounted a specific way. I'm like Steve; we get enough attention without making any special effort :poke:

In response to OP's questions: Yes and Yes.

Missouri Revised Statutes
Chapter 301 - Registration and Licensing of Motor Vehicles §301.130.

5. ... Each such plate shall be securely fastened to the motor vehicle or trailer in a manner so that all parts thereof shall be plainly visible and reasonably clean so that the reflective qualities thereof are not impaired. Each such plate may be encased in a transparent cover so long as the plate is plainly visible and its reflective qualities are not impaired. License plates shall be fastened to all motor vehicles except trucks, tractors, truck tractors or truck-tractors licensed in excess of twelve thousand pounds on the front and rear of such vehicles not less than eight nor more than forty-eight inches above the ground, with the letters and numbers thereon right side up. The license plates on trailers, motorcycles, motortricycles and motorscooters shall be displayed on the rear of such vehicles, with the letters and numbers thereon right side up.

Chapter 307 - Vehicle Equipment Regulations §307.075
1. Every motor vehicle and every motor-drawn vehicle shall be equipped with at least two rear lamps, not less than fifteen inches or more than seventy-two inches above the ground upon which the vehicle stands, which when lighted will exhibit a red light plainly visible from a distance of five hundred feet to the rear. Either such rear lamp or a separate lamp shall be so constructed and placed as to illuminate with a white light the rear registration marker and render it clearly legible from a distance of fifty feet to the rear. When the rear registration marker is illuminated by an electric lamp other than the required rear lamps, all such lamps shall be turned on or off only by the same control switch at all times.

2. Every motorcycle registered in this state, when operated on a highway, shall also carry at the rear, either as part of the rear lamp or separately, at least one approved red reflector, which shall be of such size and characteristics and so maintained as to be visible during the times when lighted lamps are required from all distances within three hundred feet to fifty feet from such vehicle when directly in front of a motor vehicle displaying lawful undimmed headlamps.

Good info...thanks! That's the main reason that I ask, I don't need to give the LEO's any reason to pull me over.

Back