How do you mount

mzrsq

Busaless
Donating Member
Registered
I've just about given up on relocating the license plate. But when I went to mount the carbon fiber plate bracket that came with the undertail, the holes are spaced closer together than the holes on the plate. The only way it will work is if I drill new holes in the license plate. I know that can't be right......what am I missing? Thanks

nope...it's right. Drill new holes in your plate. Plug the existing plate holes with those little reflector boltheads if the extra holes bug you too much.

platebracket.JPG

that sucks, they couldn't make it big enough to accomodate the plate?

Remember, they sell these tail kits all over the world, and plate sizes vary widely depending on locale, so a universal one is less headache for the manufacturer.

What I did was remove the bracket from the stock fender and bolt that to the undertail bracket. Then I bolted the plate to the old (ie stock) bracket. No extra holes in the plate were required. Ya, it adds a little weight but you don't see the old bracket anyway.

What I did was remove the bracket from the stock fender and bolt that to the undertail bracket.  Then I bolted the plate to the old (ie stock) bracket.  No extra holes in the plate were required.  Ya, it adds a little weight but you don't see the old bracket anyway.
I did the same thing. Here is a pic.

tag.jpg

What I did was remove the bracket from the stock fender and bolt that to the undertail bracket.  Then I bolted the plate to the old (ie stock) bracket.  No extra holes in the plate were required.  Ya, it adds a little weight but you don't see the old bracket anyway.
Did the exact same thing to mine!

look up my thread on where I mounted mine....

I used the spare exhaust hanger on left side.

fst... the guys in the blue suits don't like that here.. plate has to be cleary visibly and in the middle, with no alterations to it. i remember your post, and wish i had the stones to do it the way you did... didn't like messing up the look of the TG or putting holes into it.
biggrin.gif

My dilemma also. Didn't want to mess up the line of the new tail, but popo won't let you do much else to it around here.

Thanks for all your responses, but after looking at it more, I still couldn't bring myself to drill that undertail and fugg it up with the plate. So I removed the hugger for now till I have the chance to modify it to fit over the relocator. If any of you have suggestions on how to cut an already painted hugger without messing it up, please pass on your experience and wisdom.

So without further ado, I'm going to chance the local popo's and put the plate where I want it.

Here's some pics

DCP_2768.JPG

You could cut it with a dremal. That's what I used to cut the hump for the grab bar.

Oh and sorry fstbusa, I cut the exhaust hanger off before I had it powdercoated, didn't want that ugly hole hanging around. I never thought of using it for the plate. Good idea though

Relocator looks good, mzrsq! How long did it take to install?

I'm guessing with the removal of the wheel from start to finish would take me 30 min.

Actually, I have no big socket or wrench to remove the nut, or a stand, so I had no way to lift the tire off the ground, so I just road the bike over to the shop I just had the exhaust installed at (only about 5 minutes away) and he put it on for me. Took him 10 minutes at the most, and he didn't charge me. Guess thats keeping up customer service. Though after watching and seeing how easy it was, I'm definitely going to get myself some stands.

Back