MMI and Arizona questions. Anybody??

jrp0629

Registered
Has anybody on here gone to MMI or know anybody who has? I am about 99% positive I will be going out to the Phoenix, AZ campus in or around January 2010. I am hoping to get all the information that I can get on the program itself, along with what I should do when it comes to finding a good safe place to live without a lot of crime, and the cost of living.

I am also wondering how good or bad the riding is around the Phoenix and surrounding area. I am from Michigan so I am looking foreward to being able to ride year around.

Any information will help me out a great deal. Thanks :thumbsup:

Do your homework on that. Think long and hard before making that decision.

Do yourself a favor and spend some time out here before you decide. Research salaries, job opportunities, housing, and different areas within a reasonable distance from the campus on Deer Valley Road.

DO NOT let them B.S. you about finding you a job while you attend school. I have many co-workers that have attended. It will benefit you if you are seriously going to pursue being a tech, or work at a dealership ONLY if you put forth the effort. Make sure you go into it with your eyes open.

When, and if you get serious, PM me. I can at least give you my perspective on them.

Its a good school. I went there and now i decided to live in arizona after. The school is very very tuff. You are allowed you miss only 2 days every six weeks. As for a job dont plan on working at a bike shop. This place is so overrun with mmi guys there are stacks of apps at everyplace that even has something to do with motorcycle.

If you do move hear with a bike or a nice car. Do not stay in an apartment complex. Theft is SO LARGE out here and it seems to only get worse. ( i have a few horror stories)

Dont reley on the school to find you housing because that department is not helpful at all just another way to spend money.

Alot of the teachers are awsome and are very good with issues with bike and you are allowed you work on your bike and run it on the dyno.

As for riding in phoenix there is a ton. Be careful because i currently have no license until sept 2009 because of it. From what i here they passed a law the police cant chase you past 90mph. Not sure of that yet but its what i hear.

There are tons of twisty roads if you perfer that kind of riding. Im mostly straight line and there is plenty of that.

Since you have nice bikes get lojack..... they will get stolen otherwise.

As far as the school. It showed me all the correct way of doing work as if you were in a shop. I oppted to take all 4 imports and it was fun but it was a stessful. 5 hours a day for 2 years then a full time job and a girlfriend. If i wasnt young i would be dead. I learned some great stuff but if i had to do it all over again i wouldnt. 36,100$ is alot of money. And the snap on tool voucher was bull****. Thats how I see it. But if you need help with anything or have questions pm me i dont live to far from the school.

You know I have mixed feelings about it. I went there way back in 1991. I never went to work at a dealership. I graduated 5th in my class thinking that would guarantee a job somewhere but not true. They are right, there are plenty of students here to take all of the lower end jobs at the dealerships. If you go and graduate, expect to do the oil changes and tire changes for a long time before you get big jobs(I had friends that worked for shops). I ABSOLUTELY LOVE ARIZONA!! It's a beautiful state with just about every kind of riding situation you can imagine. The summers get blistering hot! The "dry heat" comment is just that, a comment. It is surface of the sun hot! All year riding though. There is nothing about MMI that you can't learn on your own with a manual and some concentration on your part. Good luck with your decision.

P:cheerleader:rotect your goods bro and dont tell any potential employers while attending school that your in school otherwise your gonna get punked on pay. Phoenix thrives on the VO-TEC school arena and the employers love that cheap labor. So have a good game plan and plan your employment to coincide with your schooling. Theft of bikes out here is high, stay out of apartments if you can. There are gangs of bike theifs out here that work in teams and they have MMI shirts and know the deal when your out here. This isnt to discourage only to inform. It can be a really mother****er out here if you let it. School is top notch and recognized nation wide among manufactures so if you have the passion then persue it just dont go in nieve or your gonna get screwed and discouraged before you finish. lots of luck to ya. Phoenix talking at cha.

Sorry to dig this out of the dead pile. I lived in AZ for 10 years and know all about Phoenix.

Anymore info on MMI? I am thinking of attending soon. I would move back to the NW I think after finishing school. How hard is the motorcycle field? Does the school make a difference in pay and getting hired? Os it worth the cost?

Anyone know the general feeling about guys that come from MMI? are they a joke to employers?

Any more help would be great.

Back