Missing clutch & brake lever lock nuts.

E4G67

Registered
First of all, I'd like to say thank you to the members of this board for all of the good information about the Hayabusa. Time spent here helped convince me to buy a red and black 2005 last week. I chose the hard break in method ala MotoMan: http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm              Warmed the bike up, rode a short distance to warm up the tires, then ran it hard for 20 miles. Changed the oil and filter, the bike's running great. This is my first sport bike and I have to say that the power and acceleration is astounding. I did have a bit of trouble with the bike around the 150-200 mile mark. I had just rode to the dealer to pick up the rear seat and grab rail that had been accidentally left behind the day of the purchase. On the way home I had the bike in 6th gear and I decided to downshift to pass some vehicals. Imagine my surprise when I reached for the clutch lever only to find that it was no longer on the bike. I'm on the interstate with 75 miles to go, and I have no clutch lever. I've never shifted without using the clutch, but at least I had an idea of how to do it. As it turned out, traffic and the road conditions were in my favor. I didn't have to downshift until my exit about a mile from my house. I had to limp the last mile in 1st gear as I couldn't convince the bike to upshift without the clutch. I checked the break lever as soon as I shut the bike down, and I found it was missing the lock nut on the shoulder bolt. Must have had the same problem on the disappearing clutch lever. The moral of the story? Always wear your safety gear and don't take anything for granted!
smile.gif

DSCF0004_1.jpg

Before anyone says so, I did remove the warning stickers. The reflectors, however, are staying. I know most of you don't like them, but I say safety first. Anything to make yourself more visible is a good thing. The reflectors just might save your life. I'll trade a little aesthetic appeal for some extra safety any day.
cool.gif

Lose the reflectors, wear reflective clothing. Much more visible.

Welcome to the board.

<!--EDIT|bronc3
Reason for Edit: None given...|1119999263 -->

Wow! Quite a horror story, about the missing clutch and brake lever lock nuts! Does anyone know whether that's a dealer assembly/prep oversight or was it overlooked at the factory? At any rate, I would think that someone owes you an apology in the form of some free goodies!?

Welcome to the site man, I guess you learned the hard way that pre-flight checks are required with bikes.I'm glad you made it home ok.Take care and do those pre-flight checks,if you have to, make an actual list of things to check. NJ.:)

My dealer tells me that the brake and clutch lever assemblies are installed at the factory, so I sent a letter to American Suzuki customer service. I can't wait to hear their reply!
biggrin.gif
In the meantime, my dealer has put a new clutch lever assembly on order. I'm on vacation starting July 2nd and I don't know if the lever will be in by then. I called around and found a set of aftermarket levers for $19.95. I installed the clutch lever and lock nuts last Saturday and put the new brake lever on the parts shelf. When the lever from the dealer comes in I'll have a complete spare set. The 'Busa is back on the road,
biggrin.gif
, and the Shadow needs a new battery now  
cussing.gif
! lol, when it rains it pours!

biggrin.gif

Sorry to hear about your levers...at least it was nothing major. Still sucks that you had to go out and buy one on your own in order to enjoy your brand new bike. Tell them to give you some $20 item to make up for your "mental anguish".
smile.gif

Someone else had the same thing happen to them about a month or two back. '05 owners better check and make sure their bikes came with those lock nuts!

Back