Brake and Clutch Levers

EJosh

Registered
I have been looking at different Brake and Clutch levers, and I tried the nycparts.com anodized black lever they look good, my problem was the clutch side did not engage the clutch button(kill switch) or whateva you wanna call the lil button, the brake side worked fine, I was wondering if anyone else tried changing the levers and had problems, it seemed like the lever was about an 1/8 off from engaging, I just wanna know if anybody made changes or did they have the same problem?

Post a pic... but, when you changed the lever did you move the bushing across for the clutch dowel?

100_0721.jpg

I don't know if you notice but there is a gap between the lever and the lil button, tryna figure out how to active the button to start the bike with this lever or is it all the aftermarket lever are made like this and if so how do you engage the button?
rock.gif
Again the brake works fine, its just the clutch lever.

Did you put the brass bushing back on the new lever????Should not be able to see end of switch at all.

Have put a couple different sets of levers on my bikes and not had any trouble. Are you wanting a different look or just a different color? If it's just the color you could get your stockers powdercoated for about $50.

Yes I did put the brass pin back in and it still had the gap in it. It was a perfect fit and I liked the look, it just wouldn't let me start the bike. I took a screw driver and touched the button and it activated the clutch button.

100_0726.jpg

If you look at the original and the new one, the new has a flat surface and the original has like an 1/8 raised end.

I unplugged the button from the wiring, put a jumper across the ends and did away with the clutch switch all together. No problems with it at all

That sucks ejosh!! levers look nice !!. Did you contact nyc parts to see if they had this problem before.

Anybody have any other options I can try? It's to many people that have changed levers so I know someone else has run across this problem.

the easiest way as mentioned above would be to bridge the two wires leading to the clutch...you'll be safe from starting in gear (presuming you still squeeze the lever when starting) as long as the kickstand switch is left alone.

the problem is that aftermarket one does not allow the spring to extend and close the connection.
you should be able to grind away at the part pressing on the button (a little bit at a time) until you get the desired action.....then just use soem touchup paint to finish.

I had a similar issue with a brake lever, but in reverse....it was activating too early.

beerchug.gif

Problem solved, I drilled and tap a small oval head screw to replace the gap and the switch works fine, will return with pixs. Now I can move along with further mods
super.gif
muscle.gif

(EJosh @ Dec. 16 2006,04:07) Problem solved, I drilled and tap a small oval head screw to replace the gap and the switch works fine, will return with pixs.  Now I can move along with further mods  
super.gif

muscle.gif
sounds good to me. as long as it works.

i have seeen those levers, now i know what to do if i get them. thanks
beerchug.gif

Back