Misconceptions you had...

VaBusa

oRg Gal
Staff member
Administrator
Lately, with so many going down, hearing the stories of those lost both here and on other forums, I often assume that the oRg is a catalyst to learning. I've learned a lot from the gang here, like how important gear really is, that helmets do vary and you don't just spontaneously explode that first time you twist the throttle on the Busa...
laugh.gif
Seriously, that last one was a hurdle
wink.gif

What's changed for you since you started riding? Attitude? Overall outlook toward all that ride? Anything? Nothing at all? Do you still have a pulse?
tounge.gif

P.S. BIGGEST MISCONCEPTION that I had when I bought the Busa is that I wouldn't need to modify it a single bit...that's what I told Mike... *snickers* I just had no idea...

The fact that I didn't kill myself on it within the first week.... much to everyone's surprize.

aight. ima idiot I guess. I don't remember having any misconceptions about riding. I took the MSF class on a whim, jsut for fun, and got immediately hooked, having never, ever ridden before ever. I always respected cyclists as fragile items on the road, just never pictured myself on one.

I guess my biggest misconception was me not knowing how much I would love riding a cycle.
smile.gif

There. My deep thinking paid off. i think

I took the MSF course in California about 20 years ago, crap I am getting old. Anyway I have learned over the years that no matter how safe you think you are, there is always room for improvement. Never assume, and always ride like everyone on the road is wanting to kill you.

I'm going to have to think about this one for a bit!
crazy.gif

I just read an article last night that said that Sub 30 year old dudes on "supersport" bikes are more likely to die than any other segment of motorcycling. Most likely due to running out of skill at an inopportune moment or possibly drug related superhero fixation. The US has the about the least stringent licensing program in the world in my opinion. Any 16 year old kid with the money can walk in and buy a Busa. The dealers seem to have no moral issue with selling a bike like this to said individual with little more than a "sign here". All of which brings the Jackals that call themselves the "Insurance industry" to bear! So they stick it in and break it off on the rest of the motorcyclists who prefer to ride these "Supersports" style motorcycles. It also gives Johhny Law a reason to profile said motorcyclists since "statistically" we are all about to cause a wreck or break a law and they must stop us from doing so for our own good and the good of the state general fund!

My point is that people need to learn alot more about motorcycling in general before heading out on the street with the latest Ballistic weapon of choice. I highly recomend small crappy dirt bikes as the best training tool there is to learn what it's like to Go, turn, stop, slide, fall down etc. before venturing out into the abyss of the aspahlt jungle. If that is not an option the various rider training programs around the country are there, ready, willing and able to get these people started off on the right foot.
rant.gif

What I can report -even before getting a Busa- is that after many years, several bikes and hundreds of thousands of miles ridden, last weekend I skipped a perfect Sunday morning -no work, no home chores to do- at the twisty roads around my place. Reflecting and praying for so many experienced people falling recently, and the really nasty pics of fallen rider sectioned by the armco posts -actually blades here in Spain- posted by someone at a BMW forum made me so sad that I stayed at home, just reflecting on what I am about to do (buyaBusa)

(VaBusa @ Sep. 12 2007,14:45) What's changed for you since you started riding? Attitude? Overall outlook toward all that ride? Anything? Nothing at all? Do you still have a pulse?
tounge.gif
Since I first started riding bikes:
1) They are mere machines, but you need to respect the bike, it's power and know your limits.

Since getting the Busa (about 3 months now)
1) Respect the bike, it's power.
2) I Like Bling
3) Riding was so much more fun when I was younger without a care.....
tounge.gif

tounge.gif

(LCB @ Sep. 12 2007,15:00) The fact that I didn't kill myself on it within the first week.... much to everyone's surprize.
I'm with you on that one...

How many around you were nearly begging for you to NOT buy a sport bike? I had a ton of unwanted advice on the subject...those were THEIR misconceptions, not mine
laugh.gif

(insane @ Sep. 12 2007,15:17) What I can report -even before getting a Busa- is that after many years, several bikes and hundreds of thousands of miles ridden, last weekend I skipped a perfect Sunday morning -no work, no home chores to do- at the twisty roads around my place. Reflecting and praying for so many experienced people falling recently, and the really nasty pics of fallen rider sectioned by the armco posts -actually blades here in Spain- posted by someone at a BMW forum made me so sad that I stayed at home, just reflecting on what I am about to do (buyaBusa)
sad.gif

I had a Harley first...just as I had sort of felt I'd learned how to ride it (MSF course), I lost a dear family member in a crash (his fault...he did everything wrong that night)...well, it was months before I even considered riding again and it took a trip on that Harley to his graveside, alone, to come to terms with what had happened to him and to assure myself I wouldn't end up that same way, at least not by those same means...

That was a tough hurdle to cross...overcoming things that affect you in that way just take time...

i think the need for speed was always there when i bought the bike but now this is the 5th year i have had her im kinda just been cruising now.
i know what it can do and i dont have to prove anything to any1 so i just ride her.(pride and joy).
super.gif

My biggest misconception was that I never thought you could wear PINK on a Hayabusa and still look Hot!!!!!
wink.gif

biggrin.gif
DD

(Devil Dog @ Sep. 12 2007,15:30) My biggest misconception was that I never thought you could wear PINK on a Hayabusa and still look Hot!!!!!
wink.gif

biggrin.gif
DD
I'll let vman know you're interested...
laugh.gif

tounge.gif

Kevin_extreme_lean_pink_shirt.jpg

(VaBusa @ Sep. 12 2007,12:36)
(Devil Dog @ Sep. 12 2007,15:30) My biggest misconception was that I never thought you could wear PINK on a Hayabusa and still look Hot!!!!!  
wink.gif

biggrin.gif
 DD
laugh.gif

tounge.gif
Good come back....you got me there!!!!
laugh.gif

DD

laugh.gif

(Devil Dog @ Sep. 12 2007,15:37)
(VaBusa @ Sep. 12 2007,12:36)
wink.gif

biggrin.gif
DD
laugh.gif

tounge.gif
Good come back....you got me there!!!!
laugh.gif

DD
I have cat-like reflexes
laugh.gif

...and pink claws
jump9.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

(Devil Dog @ Sep. 12 2007,14:30) My biggest misconception was that I never thought you could wear PINK on a Hayabusa and still look Hot!!!!!  
wink.gif

biggrin.gif
 DD
We broke you of that misconception at MMP. Semi has the picture out there somewhere.

Back