I'm a spontaneous rider

Tached1300

Registered
Just something I was thinking about after today's ride. I love a spontaneous ride where out of nowhere and all of sudden I'm out on the bike headed to enjoy myself. The way my schedule is, often I have other plans but something changes and I have an opportunity to jump on the bike and head off. It is difficult from a time/schedule perspective to plan my riding too far in advance. Today for example we had plans to prepare dinner for my in-laws, my father-in-law called wasn't feeling up to it given his level of back pain, so audible called and off to the bike we go!

I think the best thing about the spontaneous ride is that the weather typically will be ideal or something that you don't mind riding in since after all it was your choice to ride. Planned rides are cool and the anticipation leading up to the day sometimes gets you through the difficult times or challenges in between. Planned group rides with your buddy or crew is cool, but that involves logistics in terms of coordinating plans and times that match, often the variable out of control in those instances may be the weather or if you only wait for those moments your buddy or crew schedule matches yours you miss out on some rides. I just mention this because I knew a few folks who I would describe as social riders meaning that don't ride own their own/alone. In my younger days, I was the guy that loved riding in the rain as long as it was summer time with the temps up of course and and probably rode faster than I should have in those conditions. Nowadays I try to avoid riding in the rain, whereas before I'd commute or whatever in it as needed. We all know if you ride far enough and long enough its pretty inevitable that you will ride in the rain. I've also enjoyed the shorter distances and haven't had any neck/back issues that I have with the longer rides.

I guess I will end my rant and ramble now, I was just reflecting and thought about my best rides are often those that seemed to pop up out of nowhere. Grateful for the weather and opportunity today.

Living where I do riding is soo easy. In less than a minute I’m on a country two lane. It’s either flat and rolling hills with oak trees spotting the fields or a mountainous evergreen tree lined two lane from 2,300’ to 9,945’ by mid day. Lots of short 45-120 mile circular routes as well. I’ve seen cattle, horses, wild turkeys,

bob cats, coyotes, deer, raccoons, squirrels, alpacas, goats and a couple huge (fenced) German shepherds. :D Up high the air is so crisp and clear, the silence is remarkable after stopping somewhere and shutting off the motor. All you hear is the wind thru the evergreens or the rush of a white water section of a roadside river.

Living where I do riding is soo easy. In less than a minute I’m on a country two lane. It’s either flat and rolling hills with oak trees spotting the fields or a mountainous evergreen tree lined two lane from 2,300’ to 9,945’ by mid day. Lots of short 45-120 mile circular routes as well. I’ve seen cattle, horses, wild turkeys, View attachment 1610897

View attachment 1610898

View attachment 1610899

View attachment 1610900

View attachment 1610901

View attachment 1610902

View attachment 1610903

View attachment 1610904

View attachment 1610905

View attachment 1610906

View attachment 1610907

View attachment 1610908

View attachment 1610909

View attachment 1610910

View attachment 1610911

bob cats, coyotes, deer, raccoons, squirrels, alpacas, goats and a couple huge (fenced) German shepherds. :D Up high the air is so crisp and clear, the silence is remarkable after stopping somewhere and shutting off the motor. All you hear is the wind thru the evergreens or the rush of a white water section of a roadside river.
Like living in a postcard.

Living where I do riding is soo easy. In less than a minute I’m on a country two lane. It’s either flat and rolling hills with oak trees spotting the fields or a mountainous evergreen tree lined two lane from 2,300’ to 9,945’ by mid day. Lots of short 45-120 mile circular routes as well. I’ve seen cattle, horses, wild turkeys, View attachment 1610897

View attachment 1610898

View attachment 1610899

View attachment 1610900

View attachment 1610901

View attachment 1610902

View attachment 1610903

View attachment 1610904

View attachment 1610905

View attachment 1610906

View attachment 1610907

View attachment 1610908

View attachment 1610909

View attachment 1610910

View attachment 1610911

You have an awesome area and playground at your disposal. I envy your pics when you post them and visualize myself riding those roads. I’m spoiled as well I really don’t have to leave my county or say a 40 mile radius of where I live. Like you within minutes of leaving home I’m amongst wild turkeys, deer, fields, nice two lane roads snaking through the countryside away from it all.

When I have more time I can go further north or west for a change of scenery and elevation I’ll be working on my endurance for some longer rides this riding season. I try to hit some of the popular tourist places like Deals Gap or US 421 and some lesser known ones throughout the year “just because” but most of the time I’m satisfied not straying too far
from home in the middle of nowhere.

I’d like to pick up a trailer so I can pull the bike to a location then ride, I think my days of long distance riding on a sport bike are behind me (long distance being greater than 400-500 miles in a day) heck at this point I’m not sure if I can handle 300-350

Once the weather turns and the days get long again I’ll be testing my tolerance for distance.

Let me know when you go to the Gap @Tached1300 I'll try to meet you there if possible. I'm a planner, mostly because I want the bike perfect when I ride. So each ride is preceded with a couple hours in the garage the night before checking and adjusting. My parents take Sunday so I only get part of Saturday to ride basically. That's super limiting because I used to ride all day Saturday and then if it got too late get a hotel and ride home Sunday morning.

Anyway, I'm not much of a sightseer on the Busa. I would rather do that in the truck or the BMW if I'm honest. I have basically 4 "tracks" I ride. The "Swamp" and "Superbike Highway" are pretty close to home and "West Point" and "The Corn Run" take an hour and some slabbing to get to but are fantastic roads to run fast. I love knowing every inch of the road, what's next, where there will be sand on the road, when something is off, etc. I'm not a crazy fast rider but "I likes to keep up ma pace".

We have some amazing roads in the western part of the state, but VA is very long and it's a day ride to get all the way across it. They are part of the blue ridge mountains at the connection between N.C., W. VA, and VA. I did a few trips out there on the BMW but I think I would tow the Busa out there if I was to go.

I rarely stop for photos on my "track" routes. When I do these I usually am on the bike 3-4 hours at a time, even filling the tank while sitting on the bike as I'm racing against my average speeds for the route. So when you see photos of the bike they were staged nearby home, not spontaneous on a ride.

That's just how I roll. Hard to find riders that like this sort of riding. Older guys don't want to brave the cops for hours on end, younger guys want to ride like fools for 20-30 minutes and then talk about it. Lol! So I mostly roll alone.

Awesome pics Wuzza. I miss California like a family member. Arch, I'd break my routine to join you guys. Spontaneous rides sound great. I'm a terrible creature of habit, same road, same place for lunch...only thing that varies is how I feel that day, anywhere from a moto GP racer wannabe to a 62 year old dude that clenches every time I get near the limit of crazy. What doesn't change is how much I love it. My life revolves around it :)

Let me know when you go to the Gap @Tached1300 I'll try to meet you there if possible. I'm a planner, mostly because I want the bike perfect when I ride. So each ride is preceded with a couple hours in the garage the night before checking and adjusting. My parents take Sunday so I only get part of Saturday to ride basically. That's super limiting because I used to ride all day Saturday and then if it got too late get a hotel and ride home Sunday morning.

Anyway, I'm not much of a sightseer on the Busa. I would rather do that in the truck or the BMW if I'm honest. I have basically 4 "tracks" I ride. The "Swamp" and "Superbike Highway" are pretty close to home and "West Point" and "The Corn Run" take an hour and some slabbing to get to but are fantastic roads to run fast. I love knowing every inch of the road, what's next, where there will be sand on the road, when something is off, etc. I'm not a crazy fast rider but "I likes to keep up ma pace".

We have some amazing roads in the western part of the state, but VA is very long and it's a day ride to get all the way across it. They are part of the blue ridge mountains at the connection between N.C., W. VA, and VA. I did a few trips out there on the BMW but I think I would tow the Busa out there if I was to go.

I rarely stop for photos on my "track" routes. When I do these I usually am on the bike 3-4 hours at a time, even filling the tank while sitting on the bike as I'm racing against my average speeds for the route. So when you see photos of the bike they were staged nearby home, not spontaneous on a ride.

That's just how I roll. Hard to find riders that like this sort of riding. Older guys don't want to brave the cops for hours on end, younger guys want to ride like fools for 20-30 minutes and then talk about it. Lol! So I mostly roll alone.
I definitely will give you at least a month or two notice. I have the same issue my father-in-laws health has declined and he’s been in and out of the hospital but seems to be improving. I usually go visit one day during the weekend to check pill boxes, move him or stuff and such as needed and it’s over an hour drive.

Awesome pics Wuzza. I miss California like a family member. Arch, I'd break my routine to join you guys. Spontaneous rides sound great. I'm a terrible creature of habit, same road, same place for lunch...only thing that varies is how I feel that day, anywhere from a moto GP racer wannabe to a 62 year old dude that clenches every time I get near the limit of crazy. What doesn't change is how much I love it. My life revolves around it :)
I’m not fast at all by any means but I’m way faster on roads I’m familiar with than those I’m not. Also the closer I am to home to faster I am as well. It sucks to be hours away from home with a wrecked bike you can’t ride home lol.

I know what you mean. I work a lot of hours so it's hard to plan a ride as free time is limited. I have been caught in the rain a few times on a motorcycle and it definitely wasn't my favorite thing but it sure beats being in a car. I can't stand being locked up in a box with the ac blowing, I would rather have the wind in my face. Our roads in South Florida are pretty terrible as the population is VERY high. Everyone is on their phone or generally with their head up their butt but such is life. Retirement is far for me as I'm in my mid 30s but if I had more time I would spend it putting more hours on the bike. It's not a hobby, it's a way of life.

Back