million miles on a Saab

heavybusa

Just another guy
Donating Member
Registered
saabnet.com

Saab Love Affair Goes for Miles, and Miles, and Miles...

Lake George, N.Y. - The affair began in 1966 - it's still running strong 40 years later. Insurance and financial sales may be his trade, but Saab enthusiast and owner Peter Gilbert certainly has Saab blue-blood coursing through his veins. The Swedish automotive brand has been his transport of choice since 1967 after being smitten by the Saab's rally victories with famed driver Erik Carlsson. Since, he has owned several Saabs.

British by birth, cheese-head by home address, Gilbert and his current vehicle - a 1989 grey Saab 900 SPG - reached a milestone in their 17-year relationship - 1 million miles. This milestone took place and was celebrated at the 2006 Saab Owners Convention, held this year at the Roaring Brook Ranch, Lake George, N.Y. in the world-famous Adirondack region. Saab Automobile USA General Manager Jay Spenchian was the first to congratulate Gilbert and his SPG on the occasion.

Gilbert attributes his vehicle's longevity, other than being a Saab, to 'maintenance and rigorous fluid replacement.' The '89 SPG and Gilbert share many a fond memory, including reaching 135 mph on the straight-away at the Road America course at Elkhart Lake, Wis.; coming into involuntary contact with at least eight Wisconsin deer; and using the equivalent of two tanker trucks of fuel over the course of their relationship.

As for the couple's future? Gilbert plans to finally let the tried and true Saab 900 SPG relax. "I plan to retire the car to The Wisconsin Auto Museum," Gilbert said. "The museum is in Hartford, which is not too far from me - that means I can visit my dear friend any time."

060918psm.jpg

Wow!!! My 900 Turbo only made it 60K and my 900S only 93K. I didn't know that complete fluid changes included new electrical system, new ECU, MAP sensor, complete head.
rant.gif

Don't get me wrong I love the way the 900 series drove and feels, but man what crappy subsytems.

It was love / hate with both of mine. I want another 900 Turbo.....I miss it.
cool.gif

Heard about this one on CNN today. It would be nice to say that I put that many miles on a vehicle, but I trade up about every 5 years.
wink.gif

Bah! He's a bloody communist! Everyone knows you are supposed to junk your car every 3-4 years and get a brand new one, employing thousands of American factory workers, and leaving your old car in a junk lot to be recycled as a toaster or rust away back into the Earth as God intended.

psssh! commies

I have 207,000 miles on my 92 9000s. It probally has another 200,000 mile to go.
bowdown.gif

(WWJD @ Dec. 06 2006,23:26) Bah!  He's a bloody communist!  Everyone knows you are supposed to junk your car every 3-4 years and get a brand new one, employing thousands of American factory workers, and leaving your old car in a junk lot to be recycled as a toaster or rust away back into the Earth as God intended.

psssh!  commies
A Hayabusa toaster no less
laugh.gif

Back