Michelin Power Races

Stepsidez71

Registered
Have any of you ran the Michelin Power Race DOT tires on the Road. I did not know how they would do warming up on the street versus on the track.

VMAN1300 lives near the gap so he runs them. I don't advise it. I use them on the track & only w/ tire warmers. You can't keep enough heat in them on the street.

I'd say don't do it. Get you some PP 2C2s, BT-016s, Dunlop Qualifiers, Pirelli Corsa 3s, Metzler M3s, any of these will work much better on the street.

Maybe at the Gap, with warmers, on a no cops, no traffic, bike on your knee every corner day.. but otherwise, your way better off with any of the above.

Yes I have, they are incredible tires...FOR TRACK USE. They must be heated to operating temp for them to come alive....95% of street use will not sustain that temp range. Terribly fast wear, no sidewall tread and operating temp range are critical issues for this tire on the street. There are too many great hi po street tires available for street use to consider using track tires like these. Do a search and there is much text on the org explaining tires and tire choices. Good to ask this question BTW! Raydog

Yes I have, they are incredible tires...FOR TRACK USE. They must be heated to operating temp for them to come alive....95% of street use will not sustain that temp range. Terribly fast wear, no sidewall tread and operating temp range are critical issues for this tire on the street. There are too many great hi po street tires available for street use to consider using track tires like these. Do a search and there is much text on the org explaining tires and tire choices. Good to ask this question BTW! Raydog
raydog is right about the race.
Great track tire but a 2ct Power is a much better street tire.

As most of you know, I'm no michelin fan. However, if you are making a choice between a DOT track tire and a High Performance Street Tire, I'll share my view.

At no time does a street tire perform better than a track tire. This rule doesn't apply in the wet. All track tires perform poorly in the wet. Keep that in mind if you get caught in a rain shower on Race rubber. A race tire will warm up at basicly the same rate as a street tire, it just needs more heat than a street tire to perform at it's best.

Today's hypersport tires have closed the gap to a very narrow margin between street and track rubber. Generally speaking, your street tire will perform best at around 135 degrees and your race tire has to reach 170 degrees to perform at it's best. The difference in these two tires is extremely small at 135 degrees. And,,,,,,,,,,,, you will NEVER get a race tire up to 170 degrees on public roads. It's extremely hard to get a street tire to overheat on the dragon unless it's a blistering hot day and your air pressure is 5 lbs to low.

My view in short is, you don't get better performance from a Race tire unless it reaches temps much higher than you can reach on public roads and you'll loose performance in the wet. While a street tire won't perform better than your race tire, the street tire will have a longer life.

The choice is yours and you can't go wrong with either tire. I run race takeoffs most of the time during the warm summer months only because I have piles of them. I tend to avoid them during the wet winter months. I have learned from experience, braking on wet pavement on race tires can be very tricky business.

I was wondering because I found a deal of 1-new Front and 3-New Rears (4 tires total) for $400 plus shipping. My buddy was thinking of putting them on a Liter Bike over the Summer. Figured for that price if they wear out fast not a big deal but wanted to make sure they would stick to the roads before buying. He has been running the 2CT's and going through 2-fronts and 4-rears every summer. I did not know if these where a decent option to use as a replacemnt for the 2CT's on the street.

I was wondering because I found a deal of 1-new Front and 3-New Rears (4 tires total) for $400 plus shipping. My buddy was thinking of putting them on a Liter Bike over the Summer. Figured for that price if they wear out fast not a big deal but wanted to make sure they would stick to the roads before buying. He has been running the 2CT's and going through 2-fronts and 4-rears every summer. I did not know if these where a decent option to use as a replacemnt for the 2CT's on the street.

Stick w/ the 2CTs.

Your buddy will get his monies worth at $400. If they were anything other than Michelins, I'd jump on that deal. They will work just as good as michelins PP2ct's but will wear out much quicker.

Tires5.jpg

Tires6.jpg

Tires7.jpg

Tires8.jpg

Newtires.jpg

BT016. It provides better feedback, and has a softer shoulder. It will also last a bit longer than a PP 2CT. I have run them both on my Busa. The BT016 wins hands down.

BT016. It provides better feedback, and has a softer shoulder. It will also last a bit longer than a PP 2CT. I have run them both on my Busa. The BT016 wins hands down.

With a little luck and job retention, I have a pair of BT-016s that are going to be my track day tires this summer.:thumbsup:

With a little luck and job retention, I have a pair of BT-016s that are going to be my track day tires this summer.:thumbsup:

They will do you right. I was leaning pretty good on roads that were not the best condition and the BT's felt very good. They didn't break loose even the smallest amount.

:beerchug:

As most of you know, I'm no michelin fan. However, if you are making a choice between a DOT track tire and a High Performance Street Tire, I'll share my view.

At no time does a street tire perform better than a track tire. This rule doesn't apply in the wet. All track tires perform poorly in the wet. Keep that in mind if you get caught in a rain shower on Race rubber. A race tire will warm up at basicly the same rate as a street tire, it just needs more heat than a street tire to perform at it's best.

Today's hypersport tires have closed the gap to a very narrow margin between street and track rubber. Generally speaking, your street tire will perform best at around 135 degrees and your race tire has to reach 170 degrees to perform at it's best. The difference in these two tires is extremely small at 135 degrees. And,,,,,,,,,,,, you will NEVER get a race tire up to 170 degrees on public roads. It's extremely hard to get a street tire to overheat on the dragon unless it's a blistering hot day and your air pressure is 5 lbs to low.

My view in short is, you don't get better performance from a Race tire unless it reaches temps much higher than you can reach on public roads and you'll loose performance in the wet. While a street tire won't perform better than your race tire, the street tire will have a longer life.

The choice is yours and you can't go wrong with either tire. I run race takeoffs most of the time during the warm summer months only because I have piles of them. I tend to avoid them during the wet winter months. I have learned from experience, braking on wet pavement on race tires can be very tricky business.

Tuf, I think this is about semantics here. If by "performance" you mean exclusively a tire's ability to adhere to a smooth tarmac surface in a relatively narrow operating range, then right on. Some would argue, however, that performance...especially on public roads, should include far more criteria, such as:
traction over a wide temperature spectrum
regaining of traction after debris interuption
water shedding (as you mentioned)
life span
gross vehicle weight capability
repairability (plug to get home)
existance of sidewall tread (increases margin of safety for unforseen pearock/sand)

Submitted with humility, Raydog

OK Gixx1300R, I'm bumping this thread cause I want to know the message/point of your post #17? Raydog

Back