Meeting New People

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
I was eating breakfast at a local restaurant last weekend with my wife and a young fella came walking in with a ball cap that had a kanji on it. I told my wife that it had been a long time since I had seen anyone with any sort of Busa gear so of course it peaked my attention. I noticed the waitress was having more than just the routine conversation than you would expect with a customer so when she came back I asked her if she knew him. The waitress said he came in about every day and his name was Noah, she asked if everything was okay and I told her that I knew what the logo on his hat was and that most people would not even know that it was Japanese.

The waitress went back up to the bar where he was sitting and I could see her ask him what his hat said and a few seconds later he made the spin move any one of us would have made, she told him that someone in the restaurant knew what it was. I got up and walked to his seat and asked him if he had a busa and he acknowledged that he had just bought his first Gen 3 this year. I asked him if he had ever heard of Hayabusa.org and he said he was a member and then I told him my screen name was Captain and I owned the site.... We talked for a few minutes then he said his good friend Sonny Brakeen had talked him into buying it, I said wait, you mean Sonny Brakeen from Kansas and his eyes got real big and he said yes.....

As it turns out Noah's wife who was sitting right there next to Noah is like a surrogate daughter to Sonny, she took a pic of Noah and I talking and sent it to Sonny while we were chatting about the old times... I have ridden thousands of miles with Sonny screen name (Ks-Waterbug) all over this country....

It's amazing how small this world really can be if we will just step out every once in awhile and introduce ourselves...

Miss you Sonny, those days riding all over the US was some of the best days of my life...

Cap

A kind of sort of similar thing happened to me a couple times....

One time I was on an OP overseas and we were linking up with a private team to conduct our mission.....when we met the other team, I recognized one of them as a guy I went to school with...he originally joined the military and then got out to join this team.......it was a bit surreal......

Another time I went to our local dealership on my then new GSXR1000 and I ran into a guy working there that used to be on the Suzuki pit crew that looked after my race bike in the day......he was their head service mechanic and any time I took my bike (or parts of it) into the dealership he'd look after it for me personally....it was awesome having someone you really trusted working on your bike.

Back