maxima chain wax users-how do u like it?

Maxima only here. No issues, orings are always "Wet" looking after 1000 kms of running. Very sticky stuff. I swear by it. 7800 kms so far on the new bike. Chain has no need for adjustment. everything is top notch.

I have used the brake cleaner before - you are correct it will not harm the o-rings in the chain. It is made to clean brakes with and does not hurt the seals on the wheel cyclinders or the calipers. (Most of the name brands say this on the can).

My only fear of using brake cleaner is getting it on the paint, by accident. Some of these cleaners are really, really rough on painted surfaces.

I normally use kerosene it is the cheapest and I have found dollar for dollar the best all around.

Hey Ken,.....you are correct about kerosene. I would recommend that to those individuals who can't quickly identify the "abrasive" brake cleaners. Most don't know this,.......but some of the name brand brake cleaners are the same as their carb cleaners. THAT'S a real problem. Carb cleaners are VERY damaging to plastic, rubber and paint. Thanks for another option!!

:thumbsup:

Hey Ken,.....you are correct about kerosene. I would recommend that to those individuals who can't quickly identify the "abrasive" brake cleaners. Most don't know this,.......but some of the name brand brake cleaners are the same as their carb cleaners. THAT'S a real problem. Carb cleaners are VERY damaging to plastic, rubber and paint. Thanks for another option!!

:thumbsup:

Ya, I like the kerosene best it cleans and lubricates all in on lump sum.

Ride around the block to warm up and dry the chain, and then hit it with the maxima and wipe off the excess. Still has a little fling but not much. WD40 and kerosene both will clean the fling off of your wheels.

Maxima is all I have used and I have been happy. I suspect that it probably is not the best lube for cold weather because it will take a long time to soften in the cold.

One thing I noticed after slapping on a heavy coat of high temp axle grease onto the chain to protect from rust during storage-- I wiped it good with a dry rag and rode for a few hundred miles and it seemed to keep the chain well lubed. Hard to say how much slung off because the wheels were filthy from last year. Plenty has stayed on the chain though.

"Ya, I like the kerosene best it cleans and lubricates all in on lump sum."

IMHO, Kero's lubing properties are probably good for a 10 minute ride after cleaning. I do that to fling the excess wetness off the chain before an application of real lube. Kero has a small amount of oil in it but it is mostly pure solvent which will evaporate very quickly.

Last edited:
Guys, the new Dupont lubes are made so that they are dry after the solvent evaporates. It leaves a dry wax on the chain that will not pick up dirt like a sticky lube. A good sticky, messy lube that picks up dirt will still trash things even though it seems lubed. Also, because it is a dry wax lube, it will be a little noisier than a gooey, sticky, messy lube. But the sound has nothing to do with performance of the lube wax. The Dupont "Chain Saver" has more wax lube in it than the "multi-Purpose" lube has. Both have the same chemicals, just in different ratios. Both dry after a few hours and never sling anything on your wheels.
It really is a break through product. Good Luck with whatever you use, and keep riding!

Guys, the new Dupont lubes are made so that they are dry after the solvent evaporates. It leaves a dry wax on the chain that will not pick up dirt like a sticky lube. A good sticky, messy lube that picks up dirt will still trash things even though it seems lubed. Also, because it is a dry wax lube, it will be a little noisier than a gooey, sticky, messy lube. But the sound has nothing to do with performance of the lube wax. The Dupont "Chain Saver" has more wax lube in it than the "multi-Purpose" lube has. Both have the same chemicals, just in different ratios. Both dry after a few hours and never sling anything on your wheels.
It really is a break through product. Good Luck with whatever you use, and keep riding!

+1000 on the Dupont. My gold chain now STAYS gold.....

Anybody ever try any of this? Went to Ace Hardware the other day, they were sold out of Dupont, so I bought a can of this. Sticks real well, doesn't attract dirt. Seems to be ok. Chain has 14K miles and hasn't shat the bed yet.

aerosol1.jpg

Back