Math Wizard

G

Jim - yes I calculated the coolant at 2.4 GALLONS instead of QUARTS. That adds a few more pounds needed to reach 75. Not sure what the battery weighs - if that's supposed to be included. I wouldn't think it was more than 10 or 15 pounds though. (just a guess) Either we are missing something to add to the wet weight iems or the dry weight must be higher than specified? (which is where the truck scales would come in handy)

Just to add to the confusion (a little) - I wonder if the wet/dry weights are calculated using the hump or the rear seat? That rear grab bar is a sturdy(heavy) piece. Also what about clutch fluid, brake fluid?

I just could not stay away from this site.
Busa weighs--520 lbs with exactly 1/2 tank of fuel and a full micron system.
The scale could be off 5lbs. It rounds to the nearest 5 lbs.
My stock 25 lb exhaust system 15lbs. for the x-pipe 5lbs. each for the cans. was removed and a s.steel Micron system installed. Micron weighs roughly 12 lbs. resulting in a 13lb saving meaning a stock Busa weighs approx. 530-535 lbs. with 1/2 showing on the fuel gauge.

Good to see you back Bob!! :)
Now don't ever do that to us again!

There are more fluids that none of you have considered.

The spit that sneaks in when you're blowing up your tires.

Absorbed atmospheric humidity residing the upholstery. This is the main reason New Orleans Busas weigh more than Las Vegas Busas.

Viscous animal remains that get stuffed way up into the treads in your tires when you smack a raccoon.

The hose water that gets into crannies when you wash your bike that you can NEVER reach with a cloth.

Drool from the people who hang around your bike admiring it while you're in having a beer with the strippers.

How much does THAT stuff weigh Todd?

We'll estimate all that must weigh exactly the same amount that we can't seem to come up with to add up to 75 pounds! :)

I'm not sure about Bob's number. I've never yet seen a gas gauge that indicated 1/2 when 1/2 of your gas was left.

Performance Bike weighed the Hayabusa at 566 pounds with full gas, 535 "dry" [undefined, I assumed no gas, oil or coolant, but inc. battery.]

So 1/2 full couldn't weigh 520, unless that Micron is an anti-gravity pipe.

Not saying anyone's wrong. Just don't think we have produced a reliable number yet.

I took 47 pounds off my Hayabusa -- 49 including the grab rail [weighs 2 pounds], but added Genmar risers [also 2 pounds], net 47. We weighed everything as it came off, and weighed replacement parts to measure diffences, as I was very interested in an accurate result.

But I have no idea what the bike now weighs. I do know that I screwed up the weight distribution [lightened the front disproportionately] and it is being lowered in the triple clamps to compentsate as I write.

Maybe the bike manufacture's stats are like football program roster listings where a lot of player's weights are "adjusted"? The blimps are listed at less than they really are and the little puny guys are listed heavier than they really are.

ZX12 re your question "Why the hell are we doing this?"

We are trying to figure exactly how much weight will be saved by running the Busa with no fluids at all.

My guess is that'll it'll save 70 pounds and we'll get about 2 tenths in the quarter, or 3 mph top end.

Ohhhhh I was confused. I was going to suggest just getting rid of the motor altogether and you shave some serious weight.

Pete i have some new air for your tires that will save you 30 lbs, i sell it for a 1.00 per pound how much would you like.

5.8 gallons gas
3.7 qts oil
2.4 qts coolant

What iam looking for here total weight of a Busa, could these items weight 75lbs.

Ok this weekend I will Get a very accurate scale from a friend who is in the scale bussiness. I will put the bike on the scale and fill the tank until the fuel reaches the bottom of the lip in the tank and record the weight in LBs and Kilos. Then I will totaly dissamble the bike and clean all mosture from the bile put in in a vacume chamber pull a near perfect vacume for 24 hours to get all the remaining fluids out and weigh the hole apparatus. Now I will weigh the apparatus with no Bike in it and do the math for the dry weight. My bike is now on synthetic oil so I will fill it with Standard and weigh for an average with the first wet weight. What brand and type of gas, oil, antifreeze, ect should I use for the experiment, because I am sure there are some differences? As soon as I here from you on the type of fluids I will get started. Oh yes should I also weigh me on the bike, if so before or after I take a dump and or leak?

DP I think it takes 100 Lbs removed to reduce a 1/4 mile time by 1/10. Correct me if I am wrong. As I am sure some one will reguardless if I am or not.

:)

A gallon of gasoline weighs about 7 pounds.
5.8 gallons of gasoline would be 40.6 pounds.
A gallon of water weighs 8.34 pounds. Using this for the coolant would be 20.01 pounds though a coolant mixture may weigh a bit more than water alone. These two items alone would be 60.7 pounds leaving us with only the oil. With 14.9 pounds remaining in order to reach 75 pounds the oil would have to weigh 4.022 pounds per quart . (What about the oil filter??) I don't know exactly what a quart of motor oil weighs but 4 pounds seems like a lot. I could weigh a quart of motor oil on our digital mail scales here at work but the displayed weight would also include the container itself so that wouldn't be exact either.

I bought a quart of Castrol around the corner and it weighs 2 pounds which would be approx 7.4 pounds for the 3.7 quarts of oil still leaving us with 6.9 pounds unaccounted for in order to reach 75 pounds. Not sure what a filter weighs but they are small and can't be much. What about the battery fluids? Are they also part of the equation?
Total so far is : 68.1 pounds. (providing I added all this up correctly)

[This message has been edited by Todd (edited 01 October 1999).]

When you see the weight, and they say WET, they mean Oil, Fuel, Coolant, and your wet pants the first time you crack the throttle and piss yourself :-)

You can still use a scale I just did it myself. First I weighed the full quart in the container on the scale. Then I dumped the oil on the floor and weighed the container alone. Then just sub tract the wieght of the container from the weight of the oil and the container and you have the weight of the oil without the container. I have not fininshed the computation though because to do the math I crossed the room to get my calculator and slipped on the oil and busted my head open. I was stupid because I performed this test without a helmet. ALWAYS WEAR YOUR HELMET!!!!!

Oh I forgot to ask, why the hell are we doing this?

Back