master Link

karnage

Registered
I havent recieved my new chain yet but does it matter if the master is a clip style or rivot style??I think the one I bought has the clip style but I thought the performance chains have the rivot style.I wont be dragging the bike so a clip style should be fine.I have never had an issue with one.Also where is a good place to get the tool to compress the rivot syle??I have a chain break and a chain puller.I probably should get the alignment tool as well to have in the tool box.

sounds like you've talked yourself into the rivet master link. I'm sure everything will be fine.

If you're not drag racing the clip style will be fine. I would suggest that when you put the clip on, put a dab of silicone on it and let it dry before you ride. It helps keep the clip in place, and you can still get it off when you want/need to.

Not sure where the BEST place to get a chain tool is. I bought mine on ebay. Some one here will know what the best type is and where to buy it.:thumbsup:

Yeah I saw the ones on ebay.A complete kit for a decent price.May go that route.I figured the clip style is fine.I forgot to ask about the master link when I ordered the chain.

be careful of the look a like tools on line, they are made with a weaker metal and break or threads break away during use. I have sold a ton of the real motion pros after folks wasted their money...

The clip style is more then fine unless you are dragging and putting nos or boost to it. Just make sure when you put the clip on always put the open side opposite the drive direction. Hope that makes scense.

there is no difference in the construction of the actual masterlink. whether it is a clip or a press on. they are made of the same parts. The masterlink is made of the same parts as the rest of the chain.

the reason the clip ons fail is because :

1. the clip was old.....never use the clip more than once, get a new one.
2. the clip was not installed correctly

True about the master link's..Pro mod and funnybikes all use the clip style master links and you do not have to buy the 200 dollar tool!

I use the Harbor Freight chain tool that cost me $10 and it works great.

Yeah I have never seen a real issue with the clip master link and I always put them on in the right direction.I may check harbor frieght.The mount of times I would use the tool is worth saving a few bucks.I have a few specialty tools that dont get used very often from harbor frieght that work fine for the amount of times they get used.

cycle gear was running a special not too long ago buy anything in the store and get the chain breaker and press for $30

The clip style is more then fine unless you are dragging and putting nos or boost to it. Just make sure when you put the clip on always put the open side opposite the drive direction. Hope that makes scense.

Hate to tell you but prostreet bikes run clip styles
They have to be installed right
And they are stong enough
Ive snapped chains that the clip was still there and wasnt the fail point
I am running an ek drz2 that uses a clip style on my prostreet bike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

Do yourself a favor, If you buy a chain rivet tool get one from someone like Pashnit or an actual person that not only sells them but uses them too.. Keep away from Ebay If your not 100% sure of what you are buying.. I learned the hard way .. You get what you pay for..

Hate to tell you but prostreet bikes run clip styles
They have to be installed right
And they are stong enough
Ive snapped chains that the clip was still there and wasnt the fail point
I am running an ek drz2 that uses a clip style on my prostreet bike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

you are probably correct....i just get a little hesitant putting that kind of pressure on links like the clip ons. The usually have a lower rating on the power end of the scale.

As GoldenChild says, beware of those chinese chain tools as they are about as worthless as titsonanun!

Back