Man Down!

Race_Harley

Registered
This is my worst fear...  
pissed.gif
, getting taken out by someone else's dumb decision. I went down last night as a result of a woman driver making a last second decision. I left work after midnight and as I approached the intersection of Rockaway Turnpike and Brookville Avenue in Queens, NY, I saw there were no cars in the right turn lane for Brookville. As I downshifted to make the turn, a car suddenly pulled out from the left into my path. I hit the brakes but because of the gravel and sand, my front wheel locked up and the bike tilted to the left. I lost balance, let go of the bike and SLAM! My head and left shoulder hit the ground first, with the usual roll and tumble. As I laid there on my back, I knew already that I was OK but I wanted to know where the driver of the car was so I can ask them what the HELL <table style=filter:glow(color=RED)>HELL</table>  
AAAssjani.gif
were they thinking. They gave me no indication that they were going to make that move. There was some helpful kat was over me telling me to stay still until the police and ambulance arrive… he was more scared for me that I was for me. LOL.  I got my pal on the phone and had this guy tell him to turn around and come to the location since we both just left the job.

After the ambulance arrived and asked me how I felt, I told them that I was OK and then I got up off the ground, brushed myself off and walked over to the ambulance so they could check me out. The only thing that was bothering me was my head… I really hit the ground hard. They asked if I wanted to go to the hospital and I said yes but I have to take the bike home first. After signing the release waiver, I left the ambulance to find that my motorcycle club president and my other neighbor were waiting to see me, to find out how bad I was hurt.  I told them I was OK, only minor scrapes and headache.

The bike took minimum damage… the frame slider did its job well! Half of the left slider’s rubbed away but that’s what its there for.

The driver was near tears as she was a nervous wreck. She kept apologizing  and kept telling people she didn't hit me. I wasn't as mad as I thought I would be... I actually felt bad for her because I knew I was OK but she'd need a drink or something to calm down. LOL I gave her my number since she wanted to contact me later... I didn't even bother take her info... no sense since we didn't touch vehicles. I reassured her that I was OK and she left with her Mom and young son.

Any crash you can walk away from is a ‘good’ crash. Better to leave the hospital with a wristband instead of a toe tag.  LOL

I’m OK, my head’s
redcomprs2.gif
 as messed up as it was before.  LOL

I’m looking forward to riding again. If that crankcase cover wasn’t crack, I would have ridden the bike today!

Keep it safe out there, I know I was real lucky last night... real lucky! Time to repair my 'Busa for more Summer fun! Let this me a lesson to you all... wear your protective gear and a full-face helmet. If I didn't have mine on last night, you'd be calling me "Half-Head"! LOL  My helmet's done. Lucky I have an another helmet as a back up.

I bid you all Peace!  
bowdown.gif

Race (Da Rogue Fella)

race.gif

Glad you are ok! Be safe out there guys and NEVER let your guard down.

glad to hear you're ok. to those who live in a no helmet law state like i do, remember he walked away from this. many of the guys that i ride with on cruisers dont wear em and i try my hardest to convince them to but they just dont look as cool with them on they say... i dread the day i have to say i told you so.

Well that sux!

Whats next for you?

p/u a new cover and frame slider we'll put it together! Call me.
l8r,
David

Glad it wasn't worse. Get better. Maybe from now on she will look better an possibly avoid killin someone.

So, you are letting her slide? You are not filing a claim against her insurance? What does it matter that she didn't hit you? She caused your accident!

Was she that hot? Are you angling for another form of repayment?
wink.gif

Karl

(K Wolf @ Jun. 16 2007,15:20) So, you are letting her slide?  You are not filing a claim against her insurance?  What does it matter that she didn't hit you?  She caused your accident!

Was she that hot?  Are you angling for another form of repayment?
wink.gif

Karl
yea, so what about your bike and gear and all that.
I'm sure your helmet is all dinged up...
At least get your stuff replaced.

Glad youre ok man. Other drivers can be scary. I watched my friend / landlord almost get cleaned out by a truck that ran a stop sign a few weeks back. He was ahead of me, rolled on the throttle and barely made it. I had to skid to a stop. (Managed to stay upright.) Driver didnt so much as slow down. Scary moment, when you realize that even if you do everything right, someone else can ruin your day.

(05BusaLe @ Jun. 16 2007,11:49)
race.gif
Well that sux!

Whats next for you?

p/u a new cover and frame slider we'll put it together! Call me.
l8r,
David
Hey David. I'm putting parts on order this week. We'll work on this one.

Peace.
race.gif

race.gif

(K Wolf @ Jun. 16 2007,15:20) So, you are letting her slide?  You are not filing a claim against her insurance?  What does it matter that she didn't hit you?  She caused your accident!

Was she that hot?  Are you angling for another form of repayment?
wink.gif

Karl
Being a no-fault adjuster and knowing how insurance works, without contact, there is a rare chance of collecting anything. Plus, the look in her face as the tears started to well up in her eyes was payment enough.

Peace.  
race.gif

Glad your OK. I had a woman tail gate me for over a mile when I had my KZ900. I got so pissed I locked up my brakes. She went in the ditch to avoid hitting me. I don't think she will tail gate a bike anymore.

Glad you're okay. Hope you're back up and riding again very soon!

--Wag--

Back