Mamma, wheres my gun ...

RaiderDm

Registered
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) -- With a lobbyist for the National Rifle Association at his side, Gov. Jeb Bush signed a bill Tuesday intended to make it clear that people have a right to defend themselves on the street, meeting "force with force" without fear of being prosecuted.

The measure, which passed the Legislature overwhelmingly earlier this year, says people are under attack don't have to retreat before responding, as long as they're in a place they legally have a right to be.

The bill says the person has "the right to stand his or her ground and meet force with force, including deadly force if he or she reasonably believes it is necessary to do so, to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another."

People already have that right in their home. The bill (SB 436), which takes effect Oct. 1, extends the right to public spaces, including on the street or in a place of business.

Case law and statutes dealing with the issue vary from state to state, but supporters said the measure brings Florida in line with a number of other states.

"It's commonsense to allow people defend themselves," Bush said. "When you're in a position where you're being threatened ... to have to retreat and put yourself in a very precarious position, you know, it defies common sense."

The measure was the NRA's top priority, and the group's lobbyist, Marion Hammer, was at Bush's side as he signed it into law.

"Now, the law and their government is on the side of law-abiding people and victims, rather than on the side of criminals," Hammer said.

Supporters of the bill had touted it as a way not only to protect the rights of those who are assaulted, but a measure meant to deter crime.

"If law-abiding citizens are able to protect themselves and have government stand behind them, you will have less violent crime," said Rep. Dennis Baxley, R-Ocala, the sponsor of the bill in the House.

Opponents of the bill warned during debate on the issue that it will lead to a "wild west" atmosphere in Florida, where gun-toting people in public places will have shootouts because they can. No one will ever back down, opponents argued.

"You are telling people when they are in the midst of an emotional moment ... you can stand your ground until death happens," Rep. Dan Gelber, D-Miami Beach, said during House debate on the bill earlier this month.

But Baxley said the measure wouldn't result in free-for-all gun battles, in part because of laws already on the books - or rules by property owners - that prevent people from carrying guns in many instances, such as in a stadium. In another example, opponents had raised the prospect of fist fights in bars erupting into shootouts.

"You can't bring a weapon in a bar," countered Baxley on Tuesday. "If you bring a firearm in a bar, you're already committing a felony."

pirate.gif
Raider out.

<!--EDIT|RaiderDm
Reason for Edit: "1264"|1114554238 -->

I wish there were such flexible gun rules here in INDIA....

Here its a pain for law abiding citizens to get guns, but the thugs have easy access to them... in some of the states that is!!!
sad.gif

I have tried to keep myself current on Fla gun legislation. I have carried concealed on Fla for many years. Now that I have new rights, I guess I need to get a copy of the new satutes. Really dry reading, but you wouldn't believe how many myths reading them will put to rest. Seems like most folks are very misinformed.

<!--EDIT|bronc3
Reason for Edit: None given...|1114631699 -->

I have tried to keep myself current on Fla gun legislation. I have carried concealed on Fla for many years. Now that I have new rights, I guess I need to get a copy of the new satutes. Really dry reading, but you wouldn't believe how many myths reading them will put to rest. Seems like most folks are very misinformed.
Most gun classes discuss the mental checklist regarding the use of deadly force. The new law doesn't change mine at all. I would avoid shooting someone at any cost except if they are in my home. If you kill someone in self defense, even if it's 100% justified, you will still need to hire a lawyer and spend a bunch of money with the new laws as well.

Nice to see that our gun freedoms aren't dissappearing.    
cool.gif
I couldn't agree more. I just wish my state would adopt this line of thinking.

I am of the opinion that in most cases, if a crook knows his chances are good that he'll meet armed resistance, he won't do the deed at all.

Not always, but I believe that if more poeple were armed and it was common knowlege, crime would drop.

Back