I'm going to Florida to kick some a$$!!!

STUNNAH

THE "STUNGUN" IS BACK!&#33
Donating Member
Registered
Just ran across this...Makes for an interesting situation...

By Beth Kassab and Sherri M. Owens
Sentinel Staff Writers

April 6, 2005

TALLAHASSEE -- Floridians could "meet force with force" on the street, in a bar or just about anywhere else without fear of prosecution, under a bill that cleared the state Legislature on Tuesday.

Gov. Jeb Bush said he plans to sign the measure into law, even though opponents contend it amounts to legalized dueling that could lead to simple arguments escalating into fatal fights.

The bill (SB 436), a top priority of the National Rifle Association in Tallahassee this year, won final approval in the House on Tuesday by a 94-20 vote. Two weeks ago, it passed the Senate 39-0.

It would erase what is commonly known as a person's "duty to retreat" from an attack and instead allow that person to "stand his ground" without fear of criminal prosecution or a civil lawsuit, a staff analysis of the bill said. It would take effect Oct. 1.

Current law allows Floridians to defend themselves with force inside their homes or vehicles but typically not in public places without first attempting to back away.

Rep. Dennis Baxley, R-Ocala, the bill's House sponsor, said it allows a person to punch someone if he or she is being punched or to shoot at someone if he or she is being shot at.

"You can only do what somebody does to you," Baxley said.

But one Central Florida prosecutor criticized the measure as unnecessary.

"It's a little dismaying that any responsible legislator would consider this," said Assistant State Attorney Bill Gross, who prosecutes homicides in Lake County. "This is going to make us less safe because it's going to discourage all restraint by citizens."

Gross said the law, as it existed before the change, was sufficient because it allowed people to use force to protect themselves when no other options were available.

"As it is right now, we see tragedies in our court system every day involving citizens who don't exercise restraint," he said. "Now they are under less legal requirement to use restraint before resorting to violence. I believe this is a step backward."

But Tom Lambert, 57, owner of Central Florida Firearms in Orlando, supports the change, saying he thinks it will encourage more people to arm themselves for protection.

"It's going to make the boogeyman think twice," he said.

Barbara Olsen, 54, a retiree from Tavares, agreed.

"I think it's time for people to take their rights back and protect themselves," she said. "It seems the criminals get all the rights."

In Tallahassee, Bush also said he sees the law as another deterrent against crime.

"Our crime rate's dropping, and it's because of measures that allow people to protect themselves and their properties, as well as putting habitual violent offenders away for longer periods of time," he said.

Baxley said the law would grant the same protections to Floridians that other states such as California, Georgia and Tennessee have in place. He also said it would make criminals pause before attacking someone.

"You are empowering our citizens of Florida to have a safer society," said Baxley, an NRA member, during House debate. "Some violent rape will not occur because somebody felt empowered by this bill."

But there was concern from some Democrats that the law goes too far.

"It legalizes dueling," said Rep. Dan Gelber, D-Miami Beach. "It legalizes fighting to the point of death without anybody having a duty to retreat."

NRA lobbyist Marion Hammer said the bill does not condone dueling.

"The comments made on the floor were downright silly," she said. "The bill says that when you are attacked you may meet force with force to defend yourself. It does not condone fighting."

Rep. Joyce Cusack, D-DeLand, said she feared that one person's interpretation of a threat might not be the same as another's -- meaning innocent people could be killed because they look or act differently than the person who feels threatened.

"This is a bad precedent," she said.

Sean Mussenden of the Tallahassee bureau contributed to this report. Beth Kassab, who reported from Tallahassee, can be reached at bkassab@orlandosentinel.com or 850-222-5564. Sherri M. Owens, who reported from Tavares, can be reached at sowens@orlandosentinel.com or 352-742-5915.

Gov. Jeb Bush said he plans to sign the measure into law, even though opponents contend it amounts to legalized dueling that could lead to simple arguments escalating into fatal fights.
I don't think the opponents have considered that this part may also prevent some simple arguments from starting. Trouble makers may be less likely to start trouble if they know they may lose, bullets make great equalizers.

Kev

fl concealed license holder since 1993

<!--EDIT|Kevin Kesler
Reason for Edit: None given...|1112817843 -->

Sounds like a nightmare for LEO's and a field day for Lawyers ... definitely has some scary implications ... shucks I can see a "big bad" biker getting killed because a "scared" pedestrian felt threaten of being run over by the bike
rock.gif
?

Like someone else said ... it's gonna' be like the "wild wild west" in that State.

Sounds like a nightmare for LEO's and a field day for Lawyers ... definitely has some scary implications ... shucks I can see a "big bad" biker getting killed because a "scared" pedestrian felt threaten of being run over by the bike
rock.gif
?

Like someone else said ... it's gonna' be like the "wild wild west" in that State.
I remeber several years ago we had a rash of crimes against tourists. You previously could easily tell a rental car by the license tag. The state changed the tags so they are not so easily identifiable. I think the out-of-staters may have been targeted partially because residents have the right to carry and the criminals would never know who was carrying so the visitors were safe targets. I know several people who carry concealed, many for more than a decade and none of us has ever shot anyone. I do believe that the fact that we can carry makes us less likely targets.

Kevin

Who would have thought the NRA guy would agree on this
laugh.gif

I'm with Kevin on this one..

And just like in the wild west.. you got SHOT instantly for robbing, raping, or killing unjustly.

Yeah. I can see the crime rate dropping now.

(Concealed weapons permit carrier since 1997.)

I don't know about this one...May not have much effect either way...For the most part either you know who intends to do you harm or it comes in the form of an ambush...

The law doesn't change my spit second mental check list regarding my personal decision to use deadly force. It might just increase my odds slightly to have to use it. No biggie.

So Kevin,

How do we discourage the tourists without making them targets???
tounge.gif

So Kevin,

tounge.gif
Discourage tourists? Do you mean as targets? If that's what you mean, I don't really know. This is America and one of the great things about being an American is the ability to travel safely about the country. The best thing I can think of is to continue put the violent offenders in prison or to death as the law allows. Things have changed a lot here in the last ten years, I don't feel the need to carry as much as I used to. As a state, we are getting tough on the violent criminals and keeping them behind bars. If the new law allows for a few more of them meeting their maker before they even get to the court system, then great.

Kev

So Kevin,

tounge.gif
Discourage tourists? Do you mean as targets? If that's what you mean, I don't really know. This is America and one of the great things about being an American is the ability to travel safely about the country. The best thing I can think of is to continue put the violent offenders in prison or to death as the law allows. Things have changed a lot here in the last ten years, I don't feel the need to carry as much as I used to. As a state, we are getting tough on the violent criminals and keeping them behind bars. If the new law allows for a few more of them meeting their maker before they even get to the court system, then great.

Kev
I was just kidding, well maybe limit the number of blue haired ones that still drive down every fall
smile.gif
I totally agree with your last 3 sentences!!!

i think its a good change. for too long the lawmakers and politicians have made it so the law favors criminal scum.the way it is now if i get attacked in florida and try to defend myself without first tryin to run away giving my attacker the chance shoot me in the back or beat the back of my skull in then i am subject to criminal prosecution and a civil lawsuit from some dirtbag that got his a$$ kicked trying to rob me.i think everyone who isnt a convicted felon should be required to take a gun safety course and carry a handgun.then see what the crime rate drops to.

i think its a good change. for too long the lawmakers and politicians have made it so the law favors criminal scum.the way it is now if i get attacked in florida and try to defend myself without first tryin to run away giving my attacker the chance shoot me in the back or beat the back of my skull in then i am subject to criminal prosecution and a civil lawsuit from some dirtbag that got his a$$ kicked trying to rob me.i think everyone who isnt a convicted felon should be required to take a gun safety course and carry a handgun.then see what the crime rate drops to.
Great points. Too busy with work to ponder all this. When I was reading about it months ago, I thought it would never pass. Then in a recent NRA mailing it mentioned that it was looking good.

It's funny how the states with the highest crime rates CRINGE at such a law. Charles Schumer is probably crying, LOL!!!

Who says us Floridians can't vote???

It's simply the application of self defense...I have never heard of such a law or state that denies a person the right to defend himself with the exception of being in his/her home...Man that's crazy...And to also afford the criminal the right to pursue a civil suit if you defend yourself...

I'm coming down there and bringing my whoop a$$ stick and I dare any of you residents to act against me...If you do I'm calling Johnny!!!Opps almost forgot, he's gone...But if he were here I'ld get away with it...

Because if the stick don't fit you must acquitt...  
biggrin.gif

<!--EDIT|STUNNAH
Reason for Edit: None given...|1112831586 -->

Interesting... REal problem is that Concealed carry doesn't do #### to prevent crime. Not ONE SINGLE crime has been avoided because of a concealed weapon. BUT, there are alot of "Gun Tough" undertrained freaking nutjobs out there who seem to think that their concealed weapon=toughguy.

I see it up here as well. Washingtons concealed carry is easier and faster to get hold of than Florida, and for the most part I support the concealed carry permit issuance. BUT I would rather see open carry as the rule. You want crimes PREVENTED? Issue OPEN CARRY... Hell, no one mugs a guy with a revolver on his hip... Besides, it would be a great excuse to spend a little money and tune and customize your carry weapon...

Make it all purty.

Anyhoo this legislation is kind of dumb, but also kind of common sense. I mean hell I don't need a law to allow me to shoot back when being shot at.
smile.gif

Back