Made a GoPro mount today

twotonevert

Member of P.E.A.
Donating Member
Registered
Since I didnt want to put any stick on mounts on my new bike, I decided I would make one like Dennis made for Lucy. First I started with a piece of aluminum angle. Cut a piece that was 2.25 inches. I got this measurement from the mirror and width of the holes. Next mark and drill the holes in the angle aluminum.

2011-03-26_19-30-35_638.jpg

2011-03-26_19-30-44_683.jpg

2011-03-26_19-32-45_210.jpg

I also purchased some small screws to help secure the gopro base to the aluminum and some small rubber faucet washers. The base fits between the mirror and body so I installed the rubber washers to prevent the aluminum base from contacting the paint. Test fit.

2011-03-26_19-33-17_736.jpg

2011-03-26_19-36-20_640.jpg

After the test fit you can see in the previous picture that I marked the base of the gopro to the aluminum base I fabricated. I then shaped it up on a bench grinder and smoothed everything out. With the mirror reattached and the bracket installed, there is only a very slight gap where the rubber mirror cover meets the body. What do you think. Solid and should provide some good video with no damage to the bike.

2011-03-26_20-10-53_288.jpg

2011-03-26_20-11-01_984.jpg

Very nice and 'Ho-made' , my favorite. :)
Did you just stick the 3m mount to the aluminum?
Is there any wobble or up and down play in it?

Very nice and 'Ho-made' , my favorite. :)
Did you just stick the 3m mount to the aluminum?
Is there any wobble or up and down play in it?

Yes, I did stick it on, but I also drilled two holes in the base and secured the base to the aluminum with the screws shown in the picture. Make sure you countersink the head of the screws so they are flush with the base. No play at all, very solid. I did have to shim the go pro plastic base to the snap in camera connector. I had to do that with all my go pro connectors.

i mean, is it in your line of vision? it seems like it would be better than looking down at the triple tree mount

Ah ok. Yes it is easy to see. It is not in my line of vision. I have double bubble screen ordered and once that is installed it will be even less obvious. I will also paint the aluminum black so it blends with the mirror better.

I think it looks great, Cant even tell there is a bracket there.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I think it looks great, Cant even tell there is a bracket there.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

That's what I like about it as well. Subtle.

TwoTone if you take camera off can you remove all down to mount or since you stuck it on and screwed it down does the base stay ?

Very creative James!

This one is in your field of vision, but like anything, you don't notice it after awhile.

Can get some fun vantage points with the forward mounted GoPros. :thumbsup:

Pict0014_gopro_900.jpg

Pict0014_gopro_900.jpg

Very creative James!

This one is in your field of vision, but like anything, you don't notice it after awhile.

Can get some fun vantage points with the forward mounted GoPros. :thumbsup:

View attachment 215011

Thats cool Tim. I was thinking about making another one that would mount on the swing arm and look forward. That would be a cool angle.

That's what I like about it as well. Subtle.

TwoTone if you take camera off can you remove all down to mount or since you stuck it on and screwed it down does the base stay ?

The base stays. I wouldn't want bare metal showing.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

uploadfromtaptalk1301227964953.jpg

Back