License Plate Mount

raydog

Enjoying 1 road at a time
Donating Member
Registered
I've recently got a few inquiries about my lic. plate mount ((including Rashad) so here's the info.....
4" piece of aluminum channel stock
hack sawed it to basic shape
fitted to plate and bike for location of proper drilling holes
drilled holes
beveled all edges to smooth edges (grinder wheel)
hand sanded to remove big grooves
drill/wire wheel...still toward smoothness
final sanding
aluminum polish (Mothers)
mounted it and forgot about it!

all above sounds complex but it's really fast and easy AND people mention it all the time....it works great (and you can install the illuminated lic plate bolts if you really want to be legal.).

Doyle

lic plate mount007.JPG

P1020512.JPG

P1010360.JPG

Last edited:
Here in Okla it has to be lit ! So, where do you put the light and wiring ?

Busa1166 why is it not legal in Miami ?
Cuz its not properly lit ?
Other than that it seems legit for Fla ?

By the way it looks nice but I like your grocery rack more.
Tell me about it ?
Another one of your creations or is there someone who makes things that replace the handles on our bikes ?

Last edited:
Same way I had mine mounted, except I went vertical. Mines going on the back of my Roadlok this year.

IMG_0041edit.jpg

Another question I hear often that deserves an answer.....since I'm a retired LEO, here's what I did: go to the vehicle code statutes in your state(for ex. Cali is the "California Vehicle Code", Nevada is the "Nevada Revised Statutes") and read the section on license plate mounting location for motorcycles. Usually you will find words like, "must be plainly visible" and must be illuminated" and "the lower edge of the plate must be no less than 12 inches from the ground", etc. The good news is that Harley now sells a 2010 motorcycle with a SIDE MOUNTED PLATE meaning that method is finally "Federalized".
Anyways, I xeroxed the Nevada law for motorcycle plate mounting and CARRY IT WITH MY PROOF OF INSURANCE AND REGISTRATION. So far, two times it has been effective, including a stop in Cali when a CALIFORNIA Highway Patrol officer that actually thanked me for having it!
Just a little suggestion. Doyle ps...thanks for the credit on PASHNIT Tim!

Last edited:
I like that simple practical look. Nice job Raydog.
If you cant find what your looking for, make it!
Posted via Mobile Device

Busa1166 why is it not legal in Miami ?
Cuz its not properly lit ?
Other than that it seems legit for Fla ?

By the way it looks nice but I like your grocery rack more.
Tell me about it ?
Another one of your creations or is there someone who makes things that replace the handles on our bikes ?

I just realized you were talking to me! The rear black rack (in one pic) then just a black crossover piece in the other pic are both part of the Ventura rack system......the third choice is the full tour rack with bags (not depicted)that ALL fit into the two black side mounts, I love the system, works for all uses except the track! Doyle

Here's a couple of addl pics to further illustrate the Ventura System....the red bag rack is called the "sport rack" (I didn't like the red bag so went to black) and the other pic is the "tour rack and luggage" when I went on a PASHNIT tour. It has amazing capacity and doesn't tough ANY painted surfaces. Doyle
ps if you ride double, you just reverse the rack so the luggage mounts behind the passenger.

P1000737.JPG

Img_9202_busa.jpg

I've never jacked my own thread like this....strange!

Back