Swing-Arm License Plate Mounts

mvanlone

Registered
I was at Iron Pony today and this one guy there states that Swing Arm License Plate Mounts are illegal in the state of ohio. Well guess what I have one of these on my busa and I did not think they are illegal. I was told that they are ONLY illegal if you do not have a light on it. Well guess what mine has a lights on my Swing Arm Plate holder. So I think I was safe there. The Iron Pony guy stated that it is still illegal even with a light in the swing arm holder. Can someone here let me know what the deal is. Is it illegal or not? Iron Pony guy stated that the other day there were 2 people in there looking for under the back seat brackets cause they got tickets. Anyone? What is the verdict in Ohio.....?

I never had a problem when i had mine on and i didnt have a light on it.My girlfriend has one on her zx-12 and she's never had a problem either.

It's legal in Ohio. As long as it's clearly visible it doesn't matter if it's horizontal or vertical. You're safe bro. Have mine on the swingarm but looked up the Ohio law before doing so
beerchug.gif

It's legal in Ohio.  As long as it's clearly visible it doesn't matter if it's horizontal or vertical.  You're safe bro.  Have mine on the swingarm but looked up the Ohio law before doing so
beerchug.gif
So how could the police give these 2 guys a ticket and they went into Iron Pony to change their plate holders? Just curious!!!

It's legal in Ohio.  As long as it's clearly visible it doesn't matter if it's horizontal or vertical.  You're safe bro.  Have mine on the swingarm but looked up the Ohio law before doing so
beerchug.gif
So how could the police give these 2 guys a ticket and they went into Iron Pony to change their plate holders? Just curious!!!
If that's why they really got a ticket then I would say that neither the LEO nor the rider knew the law

I have run into LEO's that didn't know the law before. Good luck trying to tell them they are wrong!

Ohio's

� 4503.21. Display of license plates and validation stickers or temporary placard or windshield sticker.

(A) No person who is the owner or operator of a motor vehicle shall fail to display in plain view on the front and rear of the motor vehicle the distinctive number and registration mark, including any county identification sticker and any validation sticker issued under sections 4503.19 and 4503.191 of the Revised Code, furnished by the director of public safety, except that a manufacturer of motor vehicles or dealer therein, the holder of an in transit permit, and the owner or operator of a motorcycle, motorized bicycle, manufactured home, mobile home, trailer, or semitrailer shall display on the rear only. A motor vehicle that is issued two license plates shall display the validation sticker only on the rear license plate, except that a commercial tractor that does not receive an apportioned license plate under the international registration plan shall display the validation sticker on the front of the commercial tractor. An apportioned vehicle receiving an apportioned license plate under the international registration plan shall display the license plate only on the front of a commercial tractor and on the rear of all other vehicles. All license plates shall be securely fastened so as not to swing, and shall not be covered by any material that obstructs their visibility.

I would say if they did get a ticket for it, I would bring pictures of the bike showing the plate "in plain view" and a copy of the law. One would think you would get out of that easy...

Back