legal info on license plate mounitng needed

Bigger-Busa

Registered
Need the exact CT state DMV regulation 12.18 for license plate mounting location. just got a ticket for "Failure to display license plate 12.18"

it was "displayed", just vertically, not horizontally and it does have a light. any ideas??

P7010057.JPG

My state, Tennessee, has been cracking down on this too. They are using it as a gateway offense to pull you over. A few of us were at the Tail of the Dragon last weekend hanging out at the overlook. A Tennessee state trooper stopped and got out of his car and walked behind all th bikes. The rule here is the tag must be mounted at the rearmost part of the vehicle and displayed horizontally.
all_coholic.gif
all_coholic.gif

all_coholic.gif

I'm not an attorney - however, *IF* your infraction was written up for 12.18 and it was for your plate, I think you have an out - 12.18 DOES NOT apply to the display of a license plate, but 14.18 does...

CT Statute 14.18, Display of Number Plates

Section C, sentence 2: "Such number plates shall be horizontal,..."

Again, if you were written up for 12.18, I think you may have an out - here's 12.18: Linky

I don't know how your jurisdiction works, but some allow the public to fight the ticket. Call the prosecutor up - I've done this before and they dismissed the ticket without me ever having to goto court!

HTH...

Yup your right it was 14.18, not 12.18. i was still a bit up set and wasnt reading the ticket correctly.
Thanks so much for the info. im going to court with pix of my new horizontal CT legal bracket... this sucks! like he cant read the plate from top to bottom, its gotta be left to right? come on.
Now when i lean into a corner its gonna rub. i better spring mount it.

Sec. 14-18. Display of number plates and stickers. Issuance of sample number plates. Return of number plates to commissioner. (a)(1) Each motor vehicle for which one number plate has been issued shall, while in use or operation upon any public highway, display in a conspicuous place at the rear of such vehicle the number plate. Each such motor vehicle shall also display a sticker on the number plate or elsewhere on the vehicle, as the commissioner may direct, denoting the expiration date of the registration. Such sticker may contain the corresponding letters and numbers of the registration and number plate, as assigned by the commissioner.

(2) Each motor vehicle for which two number plates have been issued shall, while in use or operation upon any public highway, display in a conspicuous place at the front and the rear of such vehicle the number plates. Each such motor vehicle shall also display a sticker on the rear number plate or elsewhere on the vehicle, as the commissioner may direct, denoting the expiration date of the registration, which may contain the corresponding letters and numbers of the number plate, as assigned by the commissioner.

(b) Repealed by 1969, P.A. 247, S. 1.

© Such number plates when displayed upon motor vehicles shall be entirely unobscured and the numerals and letters thereon shall be plainly legible at all times. Such number plates shall be horizontal, and shall be fastened so as not to swing and, during the time when a motor vehicle is required to display lights, the rear number plate shall be so illuminated as to be legible at a distance of fifty feet.

CT cops are azzholes. Can't stand them.
guns.gif

Don't get pissed at us because Dunkin' Donuts ran out of your favorite type of doughnut.

(nddragon01 @ Jul. 25 2007,08:07) CT cops are azzholes. Can't stand them.
guns.gif

Don't get pissed at us because Dunkin' Donuts ran out of your favorite type of doughnut.
in this case you are correct sir! this guy was either having a REAL bad day or didnt get some nucky that morning. slamming stuff around being a tool.
Oh well i learned to stay outta the legal system, thats the only way i can ever win.

badcop.jpg

The main thing is that my number one fan loves it!!  
biggrin.gif
In Oregon this wouldn't be legal so they say. The A$$ holes here say that it has to be in the stock location. If you read our law it states that it is required to be at the rear of the bike and visable. But half of the cops here read there own ideas into it. My plate bracket is also my chain gaurd and it is at the rear and is visable. The law doesnt say what direction the plate has to be in and the sproket is at the rear of the bike so what the hells thier problem?
deadhorse.gif

Not trying to be a dink, but the next ticket you will prolly recieve is having too much rubber hanging out. I'm sure there is also a law about the tire being covered by the undertail/fender....

yep, tire must be covered to prevent debris from hitting you or other drivers.

and the tag must be at the most rearward part of the vehicle.

This is most states...said it since guys started hanging them from the swingarms that this day would come and cops would start cracking down.

Wait till they start hammering for the intentional removal of factory equiped safety devices ie: reflectors...and YES, they can do it.

Why are our bikes so much of a problem to the fuzz? I don't mean trouble from the guys stunting on the street. I'm talking about stupid infractions like the tag mounting and such. What a load of hooey.

In the meantime that guy that EVERYONE knows is dealing some kind of illegal drug is still on his corner conducting business.
guns.gif

im waiting for them to put chips in the tags so all they have to do is shoot their radar gun at it and it reads back the number....then we could put the tags anywhere
beerchug.gif

Back