M1's or Pilot Powers ?

Toronto Busa, I tried them all and here's my 2 cents:

M1's: When you get to the point of having 35 to 40 percent of the the tread left they tend to slip more (Twisties) this is on dry and wet roads. When I tried them on my busa I put them on my duc and zx10 as well all of the bikes had the same feel when the tire was in it's 35-40 % usable tread life.

Diablo's: Same tire (Perreli owns Metzler) but for some reason the tire felt sticker wet and dry a lasted longer about 15 to 20 % longer on all of my bikes. No complaints but I wanted to try the Powers!

Powers: The busa was the first to get them, had to relearn the bike not only did the bike dip faster but going side to side was faster and the stability factor went way up both on wet and dry. Very fast warm ups excellent stopping power never did a stoppie before, until the powers that is. Much longer wear 4500 front and back. All of my bikes have them now the zx10 wears them out the fastes around 3500 don't understand why since it's a lighter bike.:D
From what you've said & "EastCoast" said,

Sounds like the powers are the way to go.

My front is still in great shape, so only changing the rear.

I assume that's O.K. (I know both new would be better, but this thing eats rears!)

well the profile of the powers is different, way different.... so you might wanna just replace both at one time to get the most out of it. You can always hold onto the other front tire in case you have a flat or something.

And the powers will hold up pretty well, even Vman, who is notoriously bad on tires (700ish miles on M1 rear
wow.gif
) got good milage out of his set
cool.gif

wow... I've had mine well over 85 a number of times and never felt any wobble
wow.gif

solid as a rock over 140 up in the mountains at the last bash ripping up the skyway
cool.gif

They just did an article on this in one of the cycle magazines, a new Dunlop tested a little better than the Power, but I will stay with the powers, last 2 have been powers. I agree stay away from the 208 if they continue to even make it.

is one of my reviews on the Pilot Power.

I am looking for a tire thread I started early last year that covers every tire I have used......

<!--EDIT|vman1300
Reason for Edit: None given...|1136461753 -->

Having ran both tires I can easily say the M1's are far superior in every aspect the wear on the M1's was slightly less than the power but i never really trusted the power to push it as hard as I did the M1's.
Hope that helps ya,
Jay

I have tried d208s on my zx11 and I am convinced they caused me to crash.. Long story....... Will never use them again, too slippery. Bt56s were good. Have new pilot powers in garage waiting for install. Cant wait...

Having ran both tires I can easily say the M1's are far superior in every aspect the wear on the M1's was slightly less than the power but i never really trusted the power to push it as hard as I did the M1's.
Hope that helps ya,
Jay
That is not my experience. I have used both and I shredded a M1 in 770 miles. The Power under the same riding conditions I got over 1700 on the rear.

The biggest difference in the M1 and the Power are the shape of the tires. The M1 uses a traditional rounded profile and the Powers have a "V" shaped profile.

If you are not accostomed to riding the profile of the power, ie a race tire, it will feel like the bike will want to fall into the corners. It can be a wierd feeling.

Both are excellent tires.

I bought my first set of powers in september of 04. I put 8,500 on them currently and they are just coming due for replacement. I already ordered another one and have it waiting to be mounted. I didn't even CONSIDER another tire. They have excellent warm up time, grip like flypaper, good wet traction, excellent lean capability, and good longevity. I would recommend this tire ten times over.

Back