M1's or Pilot Powers ?

TorontoBusa

Donating Member
Registered
M1's or Pilot Powers ?

Looks like these are many peoples tops choices.

Anyone used both of these?

Is so, how do they compare?

Wet?

Dry?

Wear & tear?

Thanks for the input
smile.gif

michelin pilot sport hpx? It's specifically made for hayabusas according to Michelin's own website but I can't find it anywhere and few of the places that carry them ask for horrendusly large sums of money.

You cant go wrong with either selection. Tires will always be on rider preference. Just like brand loyalty with bikes. Both great tires to ride on. I myself have never run M1's for some reason. But my friends always rave on about the M1's. I recently have put on a set of powers and am confident with them. I have about 200 miles logged in on them though.

Eather one is good choice... Never ever buy a dunlop208...
What a crap!
I bought one, logged 500 miles and burned it down...
well.... it smoked very good.... A lot of thick white smoke and very smelly....
smile.gif

Eather one is good choice... Never ever buy a dunlop208...
What a crap!
I bought one, logged 500 miles and burned it down...
well.... it smoked very good.... A lot of thick white smoke and very smelly....
smile.gif
I never tried the 208's but seems like everyone raves about em around here..maybe cause they are on smaller bikes..not sure.

I got some Power Pilots, havent tried em, but Michelin tends to make an excellent product. I think as it has been said, sorta brand loyalty.

Pilot Powers are the choice of the experienced Busa rider.
Stick like glue and mileage too.

I can not compare the two, sry never tried the pilots yet...
blush.gif
I'm bout to mount my 3rd set of M1s tho... I like'm cause they warm up quick, are as sticky as I need'm, and they last a while ~8K.

Just mounted up the 4th set of M1's...front and rear, mounting, balancing and tax was $252. Kind of hard to beat. Warm fast, wet performance is great and I think they look killer on the busa.

I've had both M1s and the powers. I actually think they are very similar in a lot of ways and then complete polar opposites in others.

M1's - Heat up fast, do inspire confidence but for me they did not last very long before there was a very noticable flat spot down the center. I did a lot of commuting when I had those tires but it was mostly back roads so not really a lot of highway miles. I'd say I got 2k miles on them
rock.gif
Now I'll admit I took them off before the wear bars but the flat spot was pretty bad to the point that when you did bank it over, you could feel it, which causes wholes to be chewed in the seat
wow.gif
As for driving, they really didnt change the handling of the bike over the 208 and stockers I had previously. Just good traction where the others would spin.

Powers - I almost dropped the bike in the parking lot when I picked it up! These things are very curved into almost a point when they are new. It totally changed the handling of my bike, not to a 600 but it was much much more nimble. The riding into turns was a dream and I had to catch myself several times in the mountains from pushing it too far over. I have not felt these spin at all and actually have pulled the front tire up more than with any other tire (assuming from traction). I have almost 4k miles on them now and they are developing a little flat spot down the middle but they still have plenty of time left on them. I'll probably aim for replacing them just before the bash in April and then be good til later in the year.

Never tried the Diablos, heard good things about them though.

I guess it all depends on your riding style really. If you are more of the daily driver, M1s or maybe the Avons. If you like to carve up the roads, Powers (or Diablos) are the only way to go.
cool.gif

I've had both M1s and the powers.  I actually think they are very similar in a lot of ways and then complete polar opposites in others.

M1's - Heat up fast, do inspire confidence but for me they did not last very long before there was a very noticable flat spot down the center.  I did a lot of commuting when I had those tires but it was mostly back roads so not really a lot of highway miles.  I'd say I got 2k miles on them
rock.gif
 Now I'll admit I took them off before the wear bars but the flat spot was pretty bad to the point that when you did bank it over, you could feel it, which causes wholes to be chewed in the seat
wow.gif
  As for driving, they really didnt change the handling of the bike over the 208 and stockers I had previously.  Just good traction where the others would spin.

Powers - I almost dropped the bike in the parking lot when I picked it up!  These things are very curved into almost a point when they are new.  It totally changed the handling of my bike, not to a 600 but it was much much more nimble.  The riding into turns was a dream and I had to catch myself several times in the mountains from pushing it too far over.  I have not felt these spin at all and actually have pulled the front tire up more than with any other tire (assuming from traction).  I have almost 4k miles on them now and they are developing a little flat spot down the middle but they still have plenty of time left on them.  I'll probably aim for replacing them just before the bash in April and then be good til later in the year.

Never tried the Diablos, heard good things about them though.

I guess it all depends on your riding style really.  If you are more of the daily driver, M1s or maybe the Avons.  If you like to carve up the roads, Powers (or Diablos) are the only way to go.
cool.gif
Nice write up
cool.gif
I know which tires I'm going to get when I replace the stock.

cool.gif

Toronto Busa, I tried them all and here's my 2 cents:

M1's: When you get to the point of having 35 to 40 percent of the the tread left they tend to slip more (Twisties) this is on dry and wet roads. When I tried them on my busa I put them on my duc and zx10 as well all of the bikes had the same feel when the tire was in it's 35-40 % usable tread life.

Diablo's: Same tire (Perreli owns Metzler) but for some reason the tire felt sticker wet and dry a lasted longer about 15 to 20 % longer on all of my bikes. No complaints but I wanted to try the Powers!

Powers: The busa was the first to get them, had to relearn the bike not only did the bike dip faster but going side to side was faster and the stability factor went way up both on wet and dry. Very fast warm ups excellent stopping power never did a stoppie before, until the powers that is. Much longer wear 4500 front and back. All of my bikes have them now the zx10 wears them out the fastes around 3500 don't understand why since it's a lighter bike.:D

Back