lowering=poor handling?

jetguy

Registered
looking to get some insight on how much worse the handeling of my busa will be if i lower it 1 1/2 front and 3" in back. just trying to see how bad it will get. will it handel better than a m109r?

Not sure about dropping it 3" in the rear, but I've lowered my Busa 2" in the front and rear and there's been no noticeable handling issues...it's been like this for nearly 4 years now, only problem is traveling over speed bumps because the belly pan will scrape if you don't get off the seat as you cross 'em.

I think someone that's not lowered the front and rear equal lengths should chime in. I think that's where a potential for handling issues may arrise, but I honestly don't know...

mine was -3" front and back,its now -2" front and back only because i put a eurotail on and needed the clearence..it handle just fine..not sure lowering front and back at different heights is a good idea for you though

I am not messing with mine. The way I see it, those engineers put it at this height for a reason. And since I am the kind of guy that prefers the twisties, I don't want to do anything that would have a negative impact on handling. Of course, I also have no idea what impact lowering could cause but that is my reasoning for never messing with it.

I lowered the rear an inch... front is stock. I can't tell much difference in handling.

I went from stock, to -1.5" in the rear, and then to +1" in the rear. I really like how much better the +1" handles, and i'm not even good at dipping the bike in turns yet. It felt really weird lowered when I went to turn, like it wasn't as responsive. But it did look nice!!

(Shanling @ Mar. 22 2007,10:11) I am not messing with mine. The way I see it, those engineers put it at this height for a reason.
My little legs didn't like the stock height...after dropping the Busa 3 times in my driveway, I figured it was time to lower him a bit
biggrin.gif
Looks good too
cool.gif

(VaBusa @ Mar. 22 2007,05:31)
(Shanling @ Mar. 22 2007,10:11) I am not messing with mine. The way I see it, those engineers put it at this height for a reason.
My little legs didn't like the stock height...after dropping the Busa 3 times in my driveway, I figured it was time to lower him a bit  
biggrin.gif
 Looks good too  
cool.gif
I don't have that problem but I understand that those that do, need to lower their bikes to be comfortable. I am just curious what impact it can have on performance from a handling perspective.

(Shanling @ Mar. 22 2007,10:flamethrowing:)
(VaBusa @ Mar. 22 2007,05:31)
biggrin.gif
 Looks good too  
cool.gif
I don't have that problem but I understand that those that do, need to lower their bikes to be comfortable. I am just curious what impact it can have on performance from a handling perspective.
Honestly, I haven't noticed ANY change, but I've got it lowered equally front and rear, so I wouldn't really expect any changes. I don't hit the twisties, but the hubby does on my Busa and he says he thinks it's even easier to maneuver since lowering...of course, he's a Busa rider trapped on a Harley, so one could argue "what does he know?"
laugh.gif

Tell him that I have a Harley for sale on here...

And I have been very good on it and never taken the front wheel off of the ground!

It will run wide on corner exits.
The front end will not feel planted on corner exits and entry.
It won't turn in as easily on corner entry.
During corner exits it will have a tendency to headshake under power.
These problems will be increased by a worn rear tire.
It will change the rear shock linkage ratio.
It will be more likely to drag hard parts in corners.
As how it compares to a m109, who the f@ck knows...?

cheers
ken

Thanks to DD and BA BUSA I raised my rear 1 inch

What I did notice was even at stock hieght my tire was rubbing my udertail.

But it is probably because of my riding habbits. thinking back on it, I have had the bike fully off the ground at speeds in excess of 130mph a few times and have taken it to its limits other times..

I think the whole both wheels off the ground and landing at highspeeds might be what caused the read tire to hit something..

I have heard of other people lowering the rear and tearing up their undertail, tearing up wiring, etc..

Anyway, if you are just crusiing and for looks, lowering I think looks awesome.. if you want handling, from what I understand you want to raise the rear, lower the front.

I know this is not exactly on topic, hope it gives some perspective however

(thrasherfox @ Mar. 22 2007,09:50) Anyway, if you are just crusiing and for looks, lowering I think looks awesome.. if you want handling, from what I understand you want to raise the rear, lower the front.
+1 what he said.
stick some fork springs in it too.

cheers
ken

Slamming looks good and helps on the straight track, but for everyday riding and twisties, leave it alone and tune what the factory sent cha for your weight.
beerchug.gif

If you don't care how fast or efficient you can navigate the twisties and you just take them casually then lowering won't bother you too much.

IMO taking the perfect line at high speed for the turn is some of the most fun you will ever have on a sportbike. I've thought about going +1 in the rear myself. If you are on a spirited group ride in the twisties on -2" or -3" you will be watching all the fun from the rear.

As stated, if you just want to give it the lowered/slammed LOOK for cruising down the boulevard then lower away.

Presumably the M109R you referenced is the Suzuki Cruiser....

A nice bike no doubt, but IMO you could lower the Busa and tow a 55 gallon drum behind it and still out handle any cruiser....

when i bought my gsxr750 it was lowered 1.5 inches. and it handled like crap compared to stock, As for the busa, i just bought one yesterday that is lowered atleast 2" and it handles like a school bus, I think instead of raising the rear i'm going to leave the front 1/2" low, and raise the back up to stock. Has anyone done this?

dont forget your wheel base will change...
i had my bike lowerd bec i am 5'8 but in the end with the poor ride quality i went back to stock.
another prob is my toes would drag a lot more in the turns...one time even pulling my foot off the peg when i had my wifey on the back...not fun at all...

i saw someone mention just raising the rear and i know a few ppl do this but again this will change your wheelbase and not only that it will change your fork angles.... it might feel like you can turn better but imo it just turns diff due to the diff angles of the forks, and wheelbase diff....the engineers at zuk took all this into acount and got the best possible setup, unless your at the track or are really small, dont change the ride hight.
if you want better handling go for ohlins....
just my 2c

Back