lowering the bike.

Ok question is im going to lower the rear 3 - 4 inches. If i lower the front 1 1/4 will it be enough to maintain some handeling characteristics. I dont want to throw off the handeling to much with the change. I know it wont be able to lean in the corners as much without rubbing alittle. Also the front lowering kit i found comes with adjustable 1 1/4" lowering blocks and intergrated vibration isolators. Would it be better to just buy a lowering triple clamp?

You go that low in the rear, you are going to rub the undertail off and scrape the bottom of the bike constantly. I would not go lower than 3/4 in front, 1" max to keep from slamming the oil pan into the ground and bottoming out the fender.

1.25" in front is about max if you have any type of rough streets where you ride otherwise the front fender will bottom out on the front cowl.

rear I would say 2" in the rear is about max without rubbing. 3" drop in rear at the strip is super low.

Well i dont have to worry about passenger. My girl doesnt ride with me much and shes only 120lbs when she does. But the undertail im going with will either be the extreme graphics shark jaw , or motorheads undertail with turn intigrator with a roca rear hugger. Didnt think 3" would give me much worry but ill make sure to check it at 2" before i try it any lower. Thanks for the info. Always better safe than sorry

mh's tail will fit 3" down just fine but believe me its an uncomfortable ride at 3" down. THere virtually is no suspension travel and the bumps HURT
wow.gif

Motorheads tail will work going 3" but you will loose comfort. 1 1/4 in the front is good enough for the front .

If you don't scrape the tail, you will scrape on the bottom of the bike, like the belly wing.

If you plan on riding it everday and not strictly racing it, go two inches and be happy...... My buddy is only 140ish and he only rides it 3" down on the way to the track.

Well i do race it which was why i was going adjustable , rears adjustable from +1 to -4 including stock position , I was more worried about the front , how low i could go and keep the handeling decent. Also if the lowering triple tree would be better than using the blocks and vibration isolators. Ive never lowered a bike and dont want to throw it off to much. I dont only drag race is why im wanting to keep adjustability and be able to raise the bike alittle over stock. Fronts main concern tho.

The front is easy: Strap it. 20 bux and you take it off when street riding. I like strapping it vs lowering by sliding through the triples, since you take away part of the front suspension. It does not tend to extend the forks and cause a wheelie.

I take mine off every week after racing, but others (Mr Brown) leave theirs on all the time.

Yeah im curious about that too. Ive seen the straps but just seems the adjustable blocks or trees would be a better choice than the straps. Never seen a bike with the straps on them.

Well, my bike is not here right now, but basically you hook the side with the buckle to the top left caliper bolt. Run the strap up under the black line on the left and under the cables on the right, then hook the other end to the upper caliper bolt on the right. I usually snug it gently then tighten the caliper bolts. Then when you get to the track, reach down the right side, grab the end of the strap with your left hand, grab the front brake and rock forward while pulling the strap. Pull it till you get it lowered as much as you want/need, and you are done. When you need to release it, you just push the button and it lets go......:p

Back