lowering effects

bigbusabigbusa

Registered
from what i understand if you lower the bike the same amount front and rear it does not have a negative impact on the handling of the bike. so if i lower an inch at both ends the bike will behave the same with the only negative is les ground clearance is this correct? thank you

bikeandcamper 085.jpg

The thing with lowering is, how hard are you riding the bike. If you're draggin' knees now, don't do it. If you like the look and riding about 50% of the BIKE's ability, go for it!

Just do it and see if you like it. It'll make your bike instantly look better.

why did you use the bushing kit rather than a new triple tree with bigger holes? I am going to do it BUT want to do it right. Do you have the three hole lowering link? If so did you use the middle hole to get the 2"?

thanks, bike looks good.

I didn't want to spend that kind of $ on a triple tree so that was a much cheaper route, I'm using lowering links at the last notch, I will be raising it to the middle link.

i am lowered 1.25 inches and i feel that i am using more than 50% of the bike. i was thinking i could get myself farther off the bike to keep from dragging the fairing. here is a pic of my tire. my problem is that i like to corner but since i put my tiforce pipe on i am catching heck trying to keep my front tire on the ground so i lowered to help with that but i dont want to lose to much cornering ability.sambusa thanks for your input i never even thought about the center of gravity being lower wich probably means i have to put more effort to turn. is this what you speak off? thanks everybody. thats why i love this place everybody is so helpful.

bikeandcamper 094.jpg

I'm not the best person to ask, cuz honestly I think mine handles better for me since I lowered it. But I could hardly touch the ground at stock height. Could just be that I am more comfortable on it.

from what i understand if you lower the bike the same amount front and rear it does not have a negative impact on the handling of the bike. so if i lower an inch at both ends the bike will behave the same with the only negative is les ground clearance is this correct? thank you

Well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, the answer to your question is "NO", it's not correct. If you do lower your bike you are probably much better off to lower it the same on both ends. The lower center of gravity has little effect - if any - on the handling characteristics. What gives the lowered bike ill handling manners is altering the Geometry. You cannot lower your bike without altering the geometry.

Less clearance in the corners is the first thing most guys have in mind when lowering their busa. If you are a straight line man, the only thing you need worry about are speed bumps in the parking lot.

However, if you enjoy the twisties, lowering creates barriers in which you cannot correct and it will limit your ability to improve your skills. As you lower your bike it changes the geometry and the sweet cornering manners of your stock suspension suddenly become a deamon you must wrestle through the corners. If you are a simple man who's happy to coast through the corners with the foot peg dragging at 30 degrees, waiting until the bike is straight up and down on corner exits before applying throttle, you'll be happy. If you try riding that puppy hard in the corners it will put the fear of God in you!

It's a decision only YOU can make. Do you want it to look cool while it's parked at Starbucks or do you want it to perform when you crack the throttle? No matter what your intended use of the bike is, suspension it the most important element of the bike. Make your choices wisely.

tufbusa thank you for your input. if i lower equally at both ends does that change the geometry of the bike? thanks

Yes. Changes the angle of the swingarm relative to the ground and also affects the geometry of the front end(lessens amount of trail I believe). Lowering will also change the overall length. Not by much but it does change. Try links and the triple spacers first and if you don't like it you can always change it back.

Well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, the answer to your question is "NO", it's not correct. If you do lower your bike you are probably much better off to lower it the same on both ends. The lower center of gravity has little effect - if any - on the handling characteristics. What gives the lowered bike ill handling manners is altering the Geometry. You cannot lower your bike without altering the geometry.

Less clearance in the corners is the first thing most guys have in mind when lowering their busa. If you are a straight line man, the only thing you need worry about are speed bumps in the parking lot.

However, if you enjoy the twisties, lowering creates barriers in which you cannot correct and it will limit your ability to improve your skills. As you lower your bike it changes the geometry and the sweet cornering manners of your stock suspension suddenly become a deamon you must wrestle through the corners. If you are a simple man who's happy to coast through the corners with the foot peg dragging at 30 degrees, waiting until the bike is straight up and down on corner exits before applying throttle, you'll be happy. If you try riding that puppy hard in the corners it will put the fear of God in you!

It's a decision only YOU can make. Do you want it to look cool while it's parked at Starbucks or do you want it to perform when you crack the throttle? No matter what your intended use of the bike is, suspension it the most important element of the bike. Make your choices wisely.

+1.

I raised the rear on my '08, and I absolutely love the way it handles in the turns now. I'll never lower this thing!

tufbusa thank you for your input. if i lower equally at both ends does that change the geometry of the bike? thanks

Yes it does. If you lower it by an inch on both ends it has far less effect on the geometry than does 2 inches or more. The more you lower the bike the more ill handling characteristics you will develope.

I have lowered a number of bikes, mostly for women who had trouble reaching the ground, and I never go more than one inch. Most women don't ride their bikes with gusto and so far I've had no one with problems. First step is to trim the seat and if that's not enough I'll lower it an inch.

If you really want to lower your bike, you certainly can. It looks cool as hell. Just keep in mind you give up suspension performance dictated by the amount you are lowered.

Back