"Love American Style" or

WWJD

Donating Member
Registered
I've had a lot on my mind lately. What better way to provide clarity then to type it all out, post it on the internet, and allow random strangers to flame holes directly through the heart of one's philosophy.

On my mind is dating. I've taken a 5 year hiatous from dating and having a girlfirend and it's been wonderful! I've gotten to do a LOT without someone always trying to derail my high, or bring up the "Practical" side of things, everytime I stretch my wings and touch another dream. At least that is how it has been for me the last few years. TOTAL FREEDOM.

You see I've had steady girlfriends forever. Well, since I remember girls in kindegarten. I never thought they were "Icky", and they seemed to enjoy me too. Anyway, almost always had a steady girl. Not short term relationships either... the kind lasting years and years, growing and enjoying. I've NEVER been a one nighter.

But the last girl really got me thinking about the whole mating... er... dating game and what is horribly wrong with it. So here are some myths or thruths as I see them, that might need correcting:

1. DATING someone implies romantic intention, and that you are interesting in motivating the relationship along higher and higher.

WRONG! I feel that "Dating" someone is the very early first step in getting to KNOW someone slowly enough to find out if you are interesting in cultivating a relationship at all.

This is the number 1 killer for me. I see someone nice, meet them [cuz I'm out going], impress them with my humor and charm until I know they would accept a diner invitation. They do, and I am on my way to BEGINNING the EARLIEST ELAVUATION period. You know.... does she do meth or anything that would be embarassing at a family reunion. But SHE seems to be in the "gotta capture a boyfriend" mode from the git go. It's like it doesn't matter on the first few dates if I slaughter puppies for fun, as long as she gets to dress up and try to impress me, pretend to find my jokes funny, and SNARE me, cuz that's what a girl is supposed to do.

What happened to "Getting to KNOW someone" for a little while before deciding if they are worth dating ROMANTICALLY? Am I too slow? I seriously don't have the intention of nailing every girl at some point in the dating adventure - I simply want to get to know you -- are you fun? do you enjoy life? do you like variety? are you able to embrace spontenaity? etc etc which leads to

2. Longer courtships are better.

True, but nobody, I mean NOBODY seems to accept that. Women have that CLOCK thing, and they don't seem to want to wait to see if the relationship COULD stay the course. That's why there are so many divorces today. People don't live determined to point their own compass. They seem to follow whereever it is pointing them at the time.

ALL I have ever seen in women, was the need to attach to a man. I have NEVER seen a woman that did't REALLY want a man. I have plenty of female friends that CLAIM that, but it has NEVER proven true. I am not saying that is bad, I know we were designed to fit together so well, but women seem to AWALYS need to be in the hunt or captured. I am using strong words like never and always because that is truthful all I have seen. I've HEARD different, but actions speak louder and the truth reveals itself in time

Does she really want to marry ME? Or is it a time frame where she wants to marry SOMEONE?

To contrast that point, look back to me: my intention is to find someone that grows into a true lifelong friend, with common ideals, souls, direction and interests, that I KNOW will stay the course. You don't find that out during a 3 month, 6 month, heck even 1 year courtship - cuz you are too busy being fake and tryign to impress the other one. It takes a LONG TIME to KNOW another person.

Don't even get me started on their "Backup guys". Most single women have them, but there is no way in heck you could ever get one to admit it. Many times it is even submliminal to themselves so THEY don't even know it.

3. If you are not gettin physical after 6th date or 2 months, it isn't going to happen.

What the.... I can see how this works: obviously there is physical attraction and people enjoy kissing and such, but to you REALLY want to train you body to enjoy someone elses if they might not be around in a couple months? To me, that spells heart ache, hard and fast. Guys want it all the time. We know this, the girls know this, but too often getting physical is the only glue in the relationship at all. What do they have in common? Well, the both enjoy making out a lot... yeah? Gee. WHO DOESN'T! That could be with anybody.

So I guess I am a prude and try to avoid hooking a girl with my awesome kissing, too early on. Did you know that the female body bonds emtionally and chemically during stimulation? I'm not into fishing and throwing them all back. That just leaves cold fish with a jaded hook in the heart for the next fisherman.

I tend to write too much for peeps to read, so I will wrap this up even though there are tons more myths I think destroy relationships in America.

LOVE AMERICAN STYLE

So, to the American style thing..... I plan to start "dating" again, primarily because I enjoy entertaining a woman who allows herself to be entertained. It will be hard to do, because girls seem to want to get instant relationships these days. Freakin fast food world!

There are girls at work [shaddup!] from other countries and I think one is interested in me. it makes me think of the courtships in other countires compared to our selfish American ways.

There was a story about a missionary who accepted a dinner invite from a girl in a tribe. When he got there, all the generations of family were there throwing a big party. He asked what the occasion was, and was told it was a bash for the girl becoming his bride. The dinner invite acceptance was the accepted proposal in thier tradition. He didn't know the girl at all!

In America, we have huge lists of selfish demands and expectations, and at some point, even our mates fail to live up to them adn we cut them away. I have lists too - I live in America - but I hope mine is very short.

I joke about my list being very simplistic:

An ex-exotic dancer, monogamous nyphomanic Christian.

But in truth, I know what I want. I do not want just ANYONE because I feel the TIME is right to get hitched. I do NOT want someone who expects life to be the same old cookie cutter you see at work, on TV, on every street in America, nothing WRONG with that, it's just not me. I want someone who can understand exactly why we are on this planet to have fun in life, and not get buried by the world's misdirected crap.

... which is why it is easy to be alone.
smile.gif

So, some countries get married and don't even know each other, and stay together forever [yes, through the good AND the bad] WE in America, don't take the time to get to know our potential mate, and then we're too busy looking for another one to even scratch our head and try to figure out how we lost the last one.

We lost the last one because we lost ourselves. You can't find yourself while you are busy blending with another.

I look at relationships as ADDITIONS, not COMPLETIONS of who I am. I'm a full person by myself, and have enough to give to another. I don't NEED another to attach on and COMPLETE me. And I seek someone else like that.

.... which is why I am still alone.
smile.gif

And lastly, I know I will meet someone. I have a lifelong history of meeting great gals and forming solid friendships. I'm not totally ugly, live right, have a decent job, and kinda live a rockstar life as much as possible. Entertianing a woman is very fun and fullfilling to me and I look forward to doing it again. I am not in the least bit jaded against women, or broken hearted at all. On the contrary, I made a determined decision myself to abstain from a relationship for a while, just because I have never done that. It was a great learning experience and I am able to see many things with more clarity having done so.

That said, I'm jumping back in the pool. But she'll need to accept a large variety in life get used to livign OUTSIDE the box. I am looking forward to it, even though I thinking dating has turned to crap. I look forward to doing it again

I just think it might be an ugly ride getting there.
smile.gif

I'll be looking for someone SPECIAL to me, not just SOMEONE.

Any dating tips or comments, suggestions, experiences or debates are welcome here.

interesting diagram
Maslow-Revich-Compare.gif

I'l probably have to edit this a lot cuz my mind was wondering

smile.gif

smile.gif

yep and it's WAAAAAY TOO long again. time flies when you are having fun!
biggrin.gif

I lucked out and found "the" girl for me. And i'm gonna marry her.

We've got the real deal. Years of praying and faith in God have led me to her.

(BA BUSA @ May 02 2007,22:27) DUDE...I can't believe I read that whole thing
crazy.gif
hahahahha all the way through and NO comments? ? Aw come on!
biggrin.gif

(GMbusa @ May 02 2007,21:58) I lucked out and found "the" girl for me. And i'm gonna marry her.

faith thing is number one on my short list of requirements. church girls are just as imperfect as the rest of us, but at LEAST they have some common understanding of love and faithfulness
smile.gif

unless they are living a lie. which is displayed in a longer courtship

Isaac & Rebecca come into play in my life.  I'm looking for a Rebecca spirit in my "help meet".  Within that I'm looking for total commitment to Jesus Christ, I mean completely sold out.  The mistake many Christians is that they think a mate will complete them, well I'm complete in Jesus Christ (The Holy Thing ya know).  That being said she likewise shouldn't be looking for me to complete her, but complement and we can help each other meet the God Driven cause on our lives.  I'm feeling you WWJD, I've been single a few years and I've learned to appreciate peace, but the help meet is needed by almost all.

Being that the divorce rate is so high (even in the church), why is the attack so heavily in marriages.  Well, first there are flaws and open doors in the marriage not being addressed and satan is walking in.  Whether it's lust, rebellion, disobedience, etc. unaddressed issues will open the door to division.  I've seen the word and in my local church, satan looks for 1 of 2 situations or both to divide man and wife.

1.  A jelly back, hen pecked man
2.  A rebellious disobedient wife

And if you put them both together ya get a jezebel & ahab LOL.
Good info dude!

what do you mean with the term "Help Meet"? you mean god's guidence and help in meeting someone? The net is twisting my terminology understading there..
smile.gif

For meeting people, I NEVER go to bars. Ever. Never have and never will. I meet people everywhere ELSE.
smile.gif
Hoping for a church connection but that is not the ONLY option.

I just dont get why people don't see how screwed up dating is? It's not tough - just go have fun and see if there's common ground. not: gotta impress and win the other person over 1st day out of the gate. But that is all I see. Am I THAT impressive of a catch? ? ? ? ? HA! I just be myself, which means I'm always more over the top than normal folks - and that might come off as trying to impress someone, but it's not. It's just me.

I do not and will not allow the time for Satan's crap to wreck my relationships. it IS a conscious decision. To not decide is to allow it... "Oh.... it just HAPPENED..." BULL PUCKY! That says you didn;t care enough about the person and relationship to put up the required defenses agaisnt the storms to ride through - that you jsut fall for anything. weak weak weak, no thanks!

then there's those other countries with arranged marriages... they cut ALL the bull and make it work: man and woman join, that's all folks! you cheat, someone kills you. Pure and simple.

We add lawyers!

smile.gif

(WWJD @ May 03 2007,05:54)
(GMbusa @ May 02 2007,21:58) I lucked out and found "the" girl for me. And i'm gonna marry her.

faith thing is number one on my short list of requirements. church girls are just as imperfect as the rest of us, but at LEAST they have some common understanding of love and faithfulness
smile.gif

unless they are living a lie. which is displayed in a longer courtship
BIG Mistake.... I went to Church camps growing up and I'll tell you that some of those girls are the biggest freaks I've met.

laugh.gif

Love and faithfulness and religious Faith are frequently NOT the Same thing... Some of the most scandalous women i've ever met are hardcore Church goers... Most of em' Catholic. Ya figure you might as well do whatever the hell you want since you can just confess those sins away...

Hell Buy an Indulgence or three...

WWJD My Brother... You're thinking WAY TOO HARD about this. I think it's a common problem, with all this STUFF rolling around in your head, being able to see that which is plainly before you could become difficult.

And Hit up E-Harmony.com
beerchug.gif

(Revlis @ May 03 2007,15:13) WWJD My Brother...  You're thinking WAY TOO HARD about this.  I think it's a common problem, with all this STUFF rolling around in your head, being able to see that which is plainly before you could become difficult.  

And Hit up E-Harmony.com  
beerchug.gif
True all of dat...you're thinking about it way too much...

Stop trying to figure out how to be that perfect guy and catch that perfect girl because in the end, you're so much better off if you're BOTH just being yourselves...

No books help that, no articles are pie charts and graphs...attraction is attraction and you just roll with it from there...

WWJD,

From one Christian Brother to another...

Dude you seriously need to get laid!!!!!!

Ok, now with that out of my system (the flesh side lol).

I think you are thinking into things waaaaayyy too much.

Go about your normal life, if you see a girl that you are attracted to ask her if she wants to go to dinner, go bowling, go boating, the most important thing.. ask her to do something YOU want to do. this accomplishes so much from the begining, for one, if she says yes, chances are she enjoys doing the same thing, second, it lets her know from the betgining what you enjoy doing so it gives her some insight into who you are and what you are about. If she says no it is either because she didnt want to do the activitiy you chose, or she doesnt like you, in either case you dont want to date her anyway.

If she does say yes and you enjoy her company on whatever you do, ask her out again.

Dont have sex until you are married. If you stay with someone long enough to where you want to get married to them without having sex, then the sex will be good no matter what on your wedding night.

Quit over analyzing and just enjoy life. take it day by day. make female friends and it will all work out. as long as you dont dwell on things and let things happen naturally.

(thrasherfox @ May 03 2007,13:17)
(Gunnybusa @ May 03 2007,12:46) Isnt there a rule about how long a post can be?
Not since I have been a member. I shattered the rule muah ha ha!!!    
smileyexhibit.gif
You are an offender
pissed.gif

I >COULD< be overanalyzing... OR it could be that I am "Thinking it through" where many don't. They just FALL into it, flailing about, lost and crashing into a wall a bit later. I have decent relationships - and by the looks of it from friends, neigherbors, TV, and other media, mine are above average across the line.

The point of my post was to see if I was too far out of whack with the "take more time" philosophy, which I still believe is the right thing, that is not getting done enough.

If I just LET GO, I could have been married and divorced 5 times by now. I'm happy with how it's gone, and where I'm at now, and looking forward to the dating game again... except the part where someone thinks I'm COURTING THEM instead of simply getting to know them. I just wonder where that part went in society?

Hey, I know! I could start the first date off with, "Hey, let's JUST be friends, okay?" Yeah. THAT'll put things in perspective, and start things on the right foot. hehehheehhe

BTW Good to see ya REV! I was ready to post up a "WHERE'S REVDO?" post to flush you out. Hoping that Beemer has not made you too snobish to hang here on ocasion and slum around with us!
biggrin.gif

Good intput Thrasher. I have a 6 and 0 record and never have problems meeting people, but the RIGHT people, now that I am considering a life long thang.... if that even exists anymore... NO! It DOES EXIST, if ONLY in my world. It MUST exist and I will find it or literally die trying. So the RIGHT person will need to understand that.

I'm really just talking outloud and seeing what it looks like in print so I know I'm not off my rocker. So far so good, from what I see
smile.gif

Writing is a good way to express one's self and solidify or repair perspective

just get married and you won't have this problem
laugh.gif

hope you find someone greg.... I"ll keep my eye out for singles for ya at my church

hehehe thanks TMAN, but fix ups NEVER work for me. I NEED the hunt.

Maybe I'm sending a wrong message with this thread.... I was just THINKING OUTLOUD. I'm not sad or desperate or lonely or anything. >I< have decided I want to date and maybe commit now. Some things out there just seem silly to me. My last girlfriend wanted to go to Vegas and get married.... AFTER JUST 4 WEEKS! Come on. Yeah, it could have worked - she had a true heart of purest gold - but she just wanted 'love' and I was there. We had virtually nothing in common. Isn't that just sick?

Back