"Loud Pipes,Save Lives" debate.

rubbersidedown

TURBO-BUSA-RIDIN'-BASTID
Donating Member
Registered
Sorta taken from another thread.(so as not to jack) I truely believe LPSL. Some of the opinions are that exhaust is pointed backwards,no help in being heard. People have their ear buds in,stereo's cranked and cellphones to their ears.ETC. But if a driver is "woken-up" just once today and alerted to the fact that here comes one of us...that's a good thing in my mind.Just save ONE of us. An' emergency vehicle can be heard from blocks away.You know its coming.You don't always know from where because you get an early alert.
If my loud "pipes" wake someone up from a deep slumber (today's average driving posture) and then realize the move into my lane,or the left turn in front of me is not a good idea...so be it.
I understand some people hate it and go out of their way to show their displeasure...
I stop for folks at crosswalks more than most cager's do,its just my thing. Sometimes the old folks (who are supposed to be hard of hearing :D ) do the cup ears gesture turn and gun you with "the lQQk", well,to bad. Mothers cup babies ears...they want me and my loud pipes to die. :laugh:
My personal favorite...they have to roll up their window 'cause they can't hear the person on the other end of the phone. :thumbsup:
There are for sure some bikers who use loud pipes as a "look at me" thing...who cares. The "Loud & Proud" crew...meh. I call 'em the "All show,no go" crew.
I don't really care if some folks think I'm an' attention grabbing hor...not what I'm after (unless its a hot chic) it's just the nature of my beast. Turbo charged motor. Yes,they are loud.
Loud pipes have served me well for years...drawbacks...only one comes to mind. A lady cop got us coming over a hill. Pulled us. She said: "Too bad for you boy's,I was just packing up to go home for the day,but I heard you coming from a mile away." O'well. She was cool. Lead bike got the minimum fine she could give,the rest got the warning. (back of the pack for Ol' Rubb,I know where all the traps are on my island).
They [loud pipes] will wake up yer girlfriends parents at 3AM.
They make lousey bank job escape vehicles.
They will deminish yer own hearing,but only in yer right ear. "What?"
They do set off car alarms. (I find that kinda humorous)
Me...I'm loud and obnoxious anyway...may as well have a matching bike.
Rubb.

The loud pipes I hate the most are the "fart can" cars, the little Honda Civics and the like getting wrung out through the gears everywhere they go..

I'd honestly enjoy putting a pick axe through their hood.

Bikes (other than the cruisers with the ear splitting pipes) don't bother me much.

We live around 2 to 3 miles from the hiway and there are times I can hear a bike (cruiser) gear down for the light and then go through the gears coming off the light....on many days I can hear that bike for miles and miles...

No need for all that racket. My bike isn't exactly quiet but there is a time and place to unleash it....I'm one of the few who realise this around my area it seems.

The irony has never been lost on me that most of the time I would see the "loud pipes save lives" stickers were on bikes that people were riding with no helmet.
Which one of these law-less states are you from? I thought Hawaii was still on the list too? Illinois, Iowa and New Hampshire
Rubb.

There have been studies that have proved there is no advantage to loud pipes in terms of making people aware of a rider. One big contributor to this was partially open windows tend to confuse the hearings ability to localize a sound source. Bottom line is if a person does not look for a bike then they are going to be dangerous. Funny but the biggest contributor to improving visibility of a motorcycle was lighting. If I remember correctly it was both brake light flashers and HID and running lights. The brighter the better.

On the other hand, noise on a motorcycle is very dangerous to the rider. Something like 80% of long term riders show some hearing loss! I can't find this study. Someone posted it on another forum and I clipped it but lost somewhere along the way. It was done by insurance carriers so probably pretty neutral interests on the issue of loud pipes.

As far as gut feel I do think a loud pipe occasionally warns off a cager but I have been cut off while riding right beside a car so you would think they could hear an engine with a full Yoshi right next to their window. On the other hand loud pipes do foster a lot of negativity to bikers, so I'm not a fan.

I live next to the highway and the number one cause of noise pollution at my place are the small-weenis swinging open-pipe cruiser-losers blatting on and off the throttle as they play Wild Hogs... South Park was right, everyone does think they're fags.

Close second are the small-weenis swinging coal-rolling douche-nozzles in their lifted Bro-dozer 3/4 ton diesel pick-up trucks doing the same thing....

The world would be a better place if folk had less attitude and more empathy.

My Busa is a nice tone with short pipes(some may say loud).
But when you listen to the V4 with straight through pipe it’s almost playing a different game of loud.Its the most insane sounding machine on the market under 50000.
Anyway....I’m all for LPSL.
Wake em up from their slumber.....all day long;).

There are for sure some bikers who use loud pipes as a "look at me" thing...who cares. The "Loud & Proud" crew...meh. I call 'em the "All show,no go" crew.
I love the Tsukigi Cannon on both my bikes. It's the loudest exhaust I've ever heard. It's not for show, I enjoy it. I know most others don't. If it gets the attention of other motorists while I'm riding, I feel better about that.

They do set off car alarms. (I find that kinda humorous)
Mine have but I probably don't hear it most of the time it happens.

We live around 2 to 3 miles from the hiway and there are times I can hear a bike (cruiser) gear down for the light and then go through the gears coming off the light....on many days I can hear that bike for miles and miles...
I know the people around the lake hate me especially if they live on a corner in the road. I try to not go every day.

Which one of these law-less states are you from?
Wisconsin and Michigan both consider helmets optional. The only time I don't wear one is when I do a test run to listen for any unusual noises. Other times, it's helmet and earplugs.

noise on a motorcycle is very dangerous to the rider. Something like 80% of long term riders show some hearing loss!
Hope it's not the ones wearing earplugs. I know my hearing isn't good but it hasn't been for decades and that's one reason I use earplugs. The wind noise right around a helmet seems harsher on my ears than the exhaust which is four feet away.

I agree. I wish more people empathized with my desire to have loud exhausts on my bikes. :laugh:

...all loud pipes do is piss off everyone around them.

I was driving my pickup truck to do a few small errands and I kept hearing something, I turned off my stereo, listened intently and found it was a fart can car 3 vehicles ahead of me...

Somehow I ended up behind it as the other cars turned off. It was loud and smelled bad, Every time he changed gears, it puffed a bit of smoke-looked black so the tune in his "tuner car" was off...

It sure seemed to ride rough as each and every little imperfection of the pavement had it bobbling around.

There have been studies that have proved there is no advantage to loud pipes in terms of making people aware of a rider. One big contributor to this was partially open windows tend to confuse the hearings ability to localize a sound source. Bottom line is if a person does not look for a bike then they are going to be dangerous. Funny but the biggest contributor to improving visibility of a motorcycle was lighting. If I remember correctly it was both brake light flashers and HID and running lights. The brighter the better.
I will look for some studies. I see mostly GoldWing riders with those strobe headlights,they are an' attention getter forsure.They emulate a cop on his bike.

On the other hand, noise on a motorcycle is very dangerous to the rider. Something like 80% of long term riders show some hearing loss! I can't find this study. Someone posted it on another forum and I clipped it but lost somewhere along the way. It was done by insurance carriers so probably pretty neutral interests on the issue of loud pipes.
What did you say? LOL.

As far as gut feel I do think a loud pipe occasionally warns off a cager but I have been cut off while riding right beside a car so you would think they could hear an engine with a full Yoshi right next to their window. On the other hand loud pipes do foster a lot of negativity to bikers, so I'm not a fan. If it saves JUST ONE of us,I'm all in.
I live next to the highway and the number one cause of noise pollution at my place are the small-weenis swinging open-pipe cruiser-losers blatting on and off the throttle as they play Wild Hogs... South Park was right, everyone does think they're fags.

Close second are the small-weenis swinging coal-rolling douche-nozzles in their lifted Bro-dozer 3/4 ton diesel pick-up trucks doing the same thing....

You missed yer calling in life my bro...you shoulda been a writer. "Bro-dozer" LOL. Awesome.
I love the Tsukigi Cannon on both my bikes. It's the loudest exhaust I've ever heard. It's not for show, I enjoy it. I know most others don't. If it gets the attention of other motorists while I'm riding, I feel better about that.
Maybe there's a youtube vid. Decibel meter would be good too.

Mine have but I probably don't hear it most of the time it happens.

I know the people around the lake hate me especially if they live on a corner in the road. I try to not go every day.
Pizz them off every second day. That's very considerate. hehehe

Wisconsin and Michigan both consider helmets optional. The only time I don't wear one is when I do a test run to listen for any unusual noises. Other times, it's helmet and earplugs.
I wonder why them states? You would think it would be optional in warm places. :D

Hope it's not the ones wearing earplugs. I know my hearing isn't good but it hasn't been for decades and that's one reason I use earplugs. The wind noise right around a helmet seems harsher on my ears than the exhaust which is four feet away.

I agree. I wish more people empathized with my desire to have loud exhausts on my bikes. :laugh:
Right on man.... we want our rights.... we want empathy.
Bumper stickers and t-shirts for every one
Rubb.

My Busa is a nice tone with short pipes(some may say loud).
But when you listen to the V4 with straight through pipe it’s almost playing a different game of loud.Its the most insane sounding machine on the market under 50000.
Anyway....I’m all for LPSL.
Wake em up from their slumber.....all day long;).
It's the new "In-Thing"
The catchy new acronym... LPSL.
Rubb.

I can say without a shadow of a doubt and 100% certainty say that loud pipes save lives. There is a guy 15 years ago (that I hope is still alive and kickin) that owes his life to his loud annoying pipes. And I'm emberassed to say that I would have either killed or hurt him very badly if not so. Just a whole bunch of bad luck happening at once with a tire on a semi letting go at 70mph on the interstate. Him and his harley still went down but thankfully cause I heard him (but never saw him) I knew he was close by and didn't swerve my truck to miss the 18 wheeler. I would've saved myself alot of damage had I swerved into the left lane to dodge.
I dont bother fighting the point with those that get so upset and offended about their views on loud pipes. Of all my bikes I have only one thats obnoxiously loud. And because of how heavy and unmanouverable it is I'm glad it is. Don't ride it much anyway.
:beerchug:

They don't do
shyite,
but i'd rather smash
my left testicle with a ball
peen hammer on an
anvil
than dig up this putrefied
nag and beat it to death ( AGAIN on the internet........................................................)
with with your 2nd cousins limp
Richard

Just mt two toonies.

cheers
ken

...all loud pipes do is piss off everyone around them.
I enjoy listening to loud exhausts on other people's machines! I wouldn't want to do it all the time but when a loud car or especially a sport bike is near, it's fun to hear. When I lived in Milwaukee I went down to the local strip the kids drive up and down on Saturdays. Hummin along with a bunch of rice burners was quite a thrill for a guy who never had a fast vehicle before.

You missed yer calling in life my bro...you shoulda been a writer. "Bro-dozer" LOL. Awesome.

Rubb.
We have bro-dozers here. I hear one roar out of town now and again.

Nah I like whisper quite these days The advantage is you can hammer that throttle occasionally and no one hears you :banana: :thumbsup:
If I could afford more bikes, I'd make one of them quiet.

when you listen to the V4 with straight through pipe it’s almost playing a different game of loud.Its the most insane sounding machine on the market under 50000.
Just saw a friend's video of him topping out his V4. The sound is amazing when that bike runs in the upper revs. Starting at 136 mph, he ran it 13 seconds to just over 183. Unfortunately he only gave access to a select audience on FB so I can't share the video.

They don't do
shyite,
but i'd rather smash
my left testicle with a ball
peen hammer on an
anvil
than dig up this putrefied
nag and beat it to death ( AGAIN on the internet........................................................)
with with your 2nd cousins limp
Richard

Just mt two toonies.

cheers
ken
No fuggin' way them pearls of wisdom are worth 4 bucks. I'll email you a form to fill out to get a "Full Refund"
and let's leave my 2nd cousin D!ck outa this,he's a nice guy and he did sign my LPSL on-line petition.
Should you feel the need arise again,just save yourself typing all that tripe n' shyte....this will suffice.

cheers
rubb

Back