"Loud Pipes,Save Lives" debate.

The problem with loud pipes is not with the pipes per se but the daftness of the rider using them.
They definitely help you get noticed which is critical when you on 2 wheels. People are aware that you are around.
But one does not need to turn that wrist all the way every time to announce arrival every time. That is just plain annoying for everyone even the rider.

The problem with loud pipes is not with the pipes per se but the daftness of the rider using them.
They definitely help you get noticed which is critical when you on 2 wheels. People are aware that you are around.
But one does not need to turn that wrist all the way every time to announce arrival every time. That is just plain annoying for everyone even the rider.
Ladies and Genitalmen,I think we have a winner.

Rubb.
(bigron,u have PM)

Last edited:

I agree, the rider constantly blipping the throttle or pulling WOT runs in built up areas is VERY annoying.

The cops in my home town have decibel readers and will give tickets if you are over...I forget what the threshold level is for this though.

Same as Quebec, they will give you a ticket if you are over the decibel reading...even if you are out of province.

You missed yer calling in life my bro...you shoulda been a writer. "Bro-dozer" LOL. Awesome.

Rubb.
Idk if you've seen the show or not but the "Bro- dozer" is an actual thing and even Chuck Norris enjoys its loud pipes. They gave these guys a show for some reason but the diesel nuts that I know all like to talk smack about them and call their work hack jobs. I wouldn't mind having a few of the toys I seen them make but I definitely wouldn't spend my own money on it. I can't really stand the whole rolling coal thing. Chuck Norris's Maiden Voyage in BroDozer - Diesel Brothers | Discovery

As far as there loud pipes thing goes it definitely does do something, I tend to rev my bike versus using the sickly sounding horn when a cager tries to come into my lane. When I'm in a cage if I hear a bike I start looking around to see where it's coming from and make sure I get myself out of the way. Now as already said yes it can be annoying as well, I have a people I ride with that are not allowed on the left of me and 1 or 2 that have to stay way away from me :laugh:

As far as there loud pipes thing goes it definitely does do something, I tend to rev my bike versus using the sickly sounding horn when a cager tries to come into my lane. When I'm in a cage if I hear a bike I start looking around to see where it's coming from and make sure I get myself out of the way. Now as already said yes it can be annoying as well, I have a people I ride with that are not allowed on the left of me and 1 or 2 that have to stay way away from me :laugh:

Most car drivers don't look for bikes nor would hear their horns or pipes as they are generally on the phone, listening to loud music or something but generally not paying attention to the road. A motorcycle rider might see the bike more because we know what to look for and as motorcyclists have developed the "swivel head" syndrome where we are constantly looking.

Vehicles today are so sound proofed, hearing anything including sirens directly behind them is a challenge..

For someone to hear a motorcycle exhaust when it is isn't right beside their driver window or directly in front of them would be a miracle at best...

The most people who mostly hear these obnoxious pipes are the people tryin to relax on their own property while the idiots riding these noisy bikes are revving the crap out of them.

The loud pipes I hate the most are the "fart can" cars, the little Honda Civics and the like getting wrung out through the gears everywhere they go..

I'd honestly enjoy putting a pick axe through their hood.

Bikes (other than the cruisers with the ear splitting pipes) don't bother me much.

We live around 2 to 3 miles from the hiway and there are times I can hear a bike (cruiser) gear down for the light and then go through the gears coming off the light....on many days I can hear that bike for miles and miles...

No need for all that racket. My bike isn't exactly quiet but there is a time and place to unleash it....I'm one of the few who realise this around my area it seems.
...all loud pipes do is piss off everyone around them.

I was driving my pickup truck to do a few small errands and I kept hearing something, I turned off my stereo, listened intently and found it was a fart can car 3 vehicles ahead of me...

Somehow I ended up behind it as the other cars turned off. It was loud and smelled bad, Every time he changed gears, it puffed a bit of smoke-looked black so the tune in his "tuner car" was off...

It sure seemed to ride rough as each and every little imperfection of the pavement had it bobbling around.
I had no choice but to look as I was behind it...the thing was annoying.
I agree, the rider constantly blipping the throttle or pulling WOT runs in built up areas is VERY annoying.

The cops in my home town have decibel readers and will give tickets if you are over...I forget what the threshold level is for this though.

Same as Quebec, they will give you a ticket if you are over the decibel reading...even if you are out of province.
Most car drivers don't look for bikes nor would hear their horns or pipes as they are generally on the phone, listening to loud music or something but generally not paying attention to the road. A motorcycle rider might see the bike more because we know what to look for and as motorcyclists have developed the "swivel head" syndrome where we are constantly looking.

Vehicles today are so sound proofed, hearing anything including sirens directly behind them is a challenge..

For someone to hear a motorcycle exhaust when it is isn't right beside their driver window or directly in front of them would be a miracle at best...

The most people who mostly hear these obnoxious pipes are the people tryin to relax on their own property while the idiots riding these noisy bikes are revving the crap out of them.
So there's nothing we can say to change your mind...

Are you sure...

You're positive :banghead: OK,sorry.

Rubb.

well,
here in germany we already have the situation that some awesome routes are blocked at weekends - only - for ALL! bikes (if in original exhaust shape or not - that does not matter),
caused by a few extremely loud bikes - their no. is very small i guess smaller than 2 %
but these little number of bikes bring this totally stupid idea of blocking routes to the head of politicians
at 1st only to locals (mayors etc.)
later on to the government
and then ...... ? - no bikes allowed at weekends everywhere ? could come up.

no thanks - 100 phon or more are definitely too much, i guess - and no matter how awesome the sound ever might be .

sorry at all LPSL´s :fire:

well,
here in germany we already have the situation that some awesome routes are blocked at weekends - only - for ALL! bikes (if in original exhaust shape or not - that does not matter),
caused by a few extremely loud bikes - their no. is very small i guess smaller than 2 %
but these little number of bikes bring this totally stupid idea of blocking routes to the head of politicians
at 1st only to locals (mayors etc.)
later on to the government
and then ...... ? - no bikes allowed at weekends everywhere ? could come up.

no thanks - 100 phon or more are definitely too much, i guess - and no matter how awesome the sound ever might be .

sorry at all LPSL´s :fire:
It's all good Mr.Berlin. :thumbsup:
Certainly no need to appologize.
Hope it works out for the Autobahn.
There's no racism here. Chrome,Carbon Look,Shorty,Tri-Oval,Yoshi,slips,fulls,even dump pipes,etc
All LPSL'sMatter. :D
Rubb.

I'm stubborn like that...but, I don't think I am out of line in anything I stated.:cool:
Definitely not out of line.... but, there are quite a few people that do hear the pipes in vehicles. Ive had several conversations in my shop with people that don't ride telling me about how they were riding down the freeway and they heard a bike coming for quite a ways before it just blew by them. Riding in thre city the way I have too revving my bike to make some noise has saved me on more then 1 occasion. Now like I said I have a buddy with a gixxer 600 and has a 2 bros shorty on his bike and ive threatened to stuff a potato in it multiple times :laugh:. What I find worse than any of the loud bikes is all these new Chrysler cars that everyone thinks is a racecar and has to hit the gas and make all kinds of noise everytime they leave a red light.

Definitely not out of line.... but, there are quite a few people that do hear the pipes in vehicles. Ive had several conversations in my shop with people that don't ride telling me about how they were riding down the freeway and they heard a bike coming for quite a ways before it just blew by them. Riding in thre city the way I have too revving my bike to make some noise has saved me on more then 1 occasion. Now like I said I have a buddy with a gixxer 600 and has a 2 bros shorty on his bike and ive threatened to stuff a potato in it multiple times :laugh:. What I find worse than any of the loud bikes is all these new Chrysler cars that everyone thinks is a racecar and has to hit the gas and make all kinds of noise everytime they leave a red light.
Not just the Chrysler cars......lots of other cars who put the "fart cans" on them.

Sometimes a loud exhaust will be heard but by a car driver but it is more luck than anything else IMO, these aren't airbags, seat belts or crumple zones...these are noise makers.

That being said, a well tuned, good sounding exhaust is ok to listen to once in a while...but not constantly.

Tonight I took Off my Tail pipes, Not a finished project but rode home with one straight pipe and the other side exhaust coming straight out of the header pipe, awesome sound.
Im in Japan, a quite country for the most part but I live in the Country so damn fun!

See what I can do to get the other side to a straight pipe.

Cant please everyone one but can please myself !

Back