Lost to an 05 R1...

1st off why the h** are you racing form 45mph up to whatever speed. ive never heard of ANY race that statrs like that. if you can ride a busa will walk any of those bikes from a standing start. sorry

heres a perfect example. i had a guy with a 2010 kawi 1000 trying to talk trash. i told him to line it up. he starts all this cryin about a rollin start. i told him thats not a race bring your $$ and your mouth. he finally agreed. got to the line, hes like when should we leave. i said just go when your ready. walked him by 3 bikes in 1st gear and it only got worse from there.

if they say they wont do a standing start because "my bike only wheelies" tell them thats thier problem. and then remind em your bike is about 300 heavier.

I just did a little research, it looks like a -1 in the front is the most popular choice to go with. Anybody have experience or recommend this combo? 17/43?

Is basically the same thing as +3 in the rear. Benefits of changing rear only is the ease of change and less stress on the chain.

via Tapatalk

Is basically the same thing as +3 in the rear. Benefits of changing rear only is the ease of change and less stress on the chain.

via Tapatalk

Where can I get this rear sprocket? What brand is best? and do I need to get a new chain with the sprocket?

Pashnit can hook you up. Send him a pm. A +3 will fit stock length chain. If it is not needing to be changed you will be ok. The front end will come up easier after you change.

via Tapatalk

I agree with others. Had you been in first you would have kept up with him. That is a huge difference 1st or 2nd gear. Good Luck!

You and I are in a similar boat size wise. I'm 6'5" 235.

Double bubble screen, lower the bike, throw a strap on the front(don't cinch it down;just take up the slack with your weight resting on bike), 17 front, 46 rear, 4to1 exhaust of choice, tune, was the combo I came up with for eating 1k bikes like they're 600's.

On the strap you don't even pull the strap hard. You can use just your thumb and forefinger to pull it. All your trying to do is prevent the front end from lifting additionally. This will still leave enough suspension to keep the bike from being a danger. I ride with slack in my strap to allow full travel. I will actually pull the slack while cruising just before a roll on.

I tried all types of gearing combos and with my weight and riding style, that worked the best.

Crawler, how easy did your front lift up with the new sprockets before you strapped it and in what gears? I am 6'6" and 235-240lbs and am just curious.

Thanks.

one thing to try is if you 2 are really good friends try swapping bikes. best rider wins? my best friend used to say his 600 f3 was faster than my 900rr. this was back in 2000 mind u. anyhow i would always let him keep up in races just for fun. he used to talk smack till we switched bikes once. then he had an entirely different point of view. its funny he would run out of speed at around 155-160 and id just walk past him like he was sittn still. lol. anyhow if you trust one another then just try it. he might not be telling you the whole truth about what has been done to his bike .... like a stroker or something like that.

just dont get killed by your own bike....

size and weight have a lot to do with it.165 lbs on an R1 is part of it and probably knows his bike well.When i start out in first I hit but with control and when I shift the tire breaks loose almost every time up to 4 th gear.I pull the clutch but just enough so it will go into gear and pretty much on the throttle the whole time without over revving.Just figure what works best for you on your bike.

You try shifting no clutch? I have done it a few times with no problems, makes up a little time as you don't lose time from clutching then releasing....just sayin....

A race is a race no matter from a dig or from a roll-on speed.

Anyhow, gear it. I was 280lbs and geared mine +6 (Gen I) and my top end is limited to about 162mph. Big deal....anything over 100mph is pretty fast so 150, 160 or 180mph is ridiculous and there are not very many places you can do that with traffic, animals and debris to ruin your day.

As said before lean over the tank and manage the throttle better, shift better cause that can lose a few bike lengths and certainly grow a pair and you will win........but it isn't easy as that guy is light......physics is physics....

Sounds like you gotta practice with this guy, till you can beat him! You can do it!

Crawler, how easy did your front lift up with the new sprockets before you strapped it and in what gears? I am 6'6" and 235-240lbs and am just curious.

Thanks.

All depends how I hit it. I could modulate the clutch and roll out fine or I could stand it on its A$$.

To prove the point, I 12 o'clocked the bus with stock sprockets stretched out 7" from a roll. That being said, I could also run 17/46 with the bike 3" over no strap just the bike lowered an inch in front, a couple in the rear and just left the front end and skate it on the edge.

Suspension settings and height make a huge difference. A strap is priceless on a short wheelbase bike, unless you have the forks internally lowered or re-valved for dragging.

how much do you and your friend weigh?? not sure about how you rid but back in the summer i raced a new bmw 5 times and started at low and mid speeds and my 09 kicked ass and took names and i have nothing to crazy done but a full akra,ecu editor,bmc fillter ..we were also about the same as for skill..dont short change her yet.

Back