Lost to an 05 R1...

SCBQQSTN

Registered
Me and a buddy of mine decided to go see how each others bike would do against each other. I have an 09 busa with a 4-1 yoshi exhaust and canned tuned. He had an 05 R1 with full exhaust and also a canned tuned. We raced about 5 times from 45-150 (In mexico of course). He pulled away all 5 times from 45-130 (about six car lengths), and only when we started going higher than that did I very slowly reel him in.

Needless to say I'm disaapointed. After we pulled over I find out that he started in first gear every time while I started in second gear the whole time. If I started in first gear would the results been much different? The only reason I don't race in first is because the bike just goes straight in the air.

Should I get sprockets done to help out? Or what do you all recommend to get faster aside from the obvious turbo? I know these bikes can't hold a candle to the new zx-10/s1000rr, but I did not expect to get walked by an older gen R1.

Sprockets would help but you will lose a bit of top end speed (shouldn't be too much though, all depends on how big you go in the rear). Personally I am going to be doing my rear sprocket and going +3 in the rear. If you go the sprocket route make sure you do some reading on here first as there is a lot of good info about how to set it up (i.e. don't go -1 in front and +2 in rear as you will still go quick, but lose some down low grunt, which by the sounds of it is what you are looking for).

Should have started in 1st gear and used throttle control to keep the front down.

Also rider weight makes a big difference in both acceleration and ability to get totally behind the windscreen.

Lighter bikes jump out quicker with less effort. Our bikes are capable of besting them but it takes more effort to get the big girl going fast fast. Start out in first leaned over the tank as much as possible and with throttle modulation you should be able to get him.

Don't short shift, don't overrev, modulate your throttle to keep maximum power to the ground with as little lift as possible, you'll wreck him.

My Buddy has the same setup as your buddy. From 75 on up we were neck and neck all the way to 160 when I finally started to pull away. I'm about 100lbs heavier than him, so I expected it. Then he got the s100rr and I was about 15-18 bike lengths behind him. Since then I I chenged gearing to -1/+1 and he's only about 4-6 bike lengths in front of me from 60 on up starting in second till my bike hits the limiter just over 180. Bike is going in to get the ECU flashed and see what that does.. I'm not out to beat him, it's just for fun.. I know I won't ever beat him until I loose some pounds anyway.. Lol

I don't know about everyone else here but I'm pretty impressed you would even admit to such a thing. I believe I'd have lied!

You definitely lost quite a bit starting in 1st. I'll leave it to the experts to give you advice on how quickly to change to 2nd, If you're changing up using the clutch I would advise learnig how to preload the shifter and change up clutchlessly. I'ts way smoother and way quicker.

My Buddy has the same setup as your buddy. From 75 on up we were neck and neck all the way to 160 when I finally started to pull away. I'm about 100lbs heavier than him, so I expected it. Then he got the s100rr and I was about 15-18 bike lengths behind him. Since then I I chenged gearing to -1/+1 and he's only about 4-6 bike lengths in front of me from 60 on up starting in second till my bike hits the limiter just over 180. Bike is going in to get the ECU flashed and see what that does.. I'm not out to beat him, it's just for fun.. I know I won't ever beat him until I loose some pounds anyway.. Lol

lol well I am 6'9 240 lbs. If I get any lighter I will look like a stick haha. Well it looks like I will have to do the sprockets. I know the most common thing to do is -1/+2. Any advantages of that over a +3 on the rear? or is a -1/+1 a better combo?

I haven't used stock gearing in so long I wonder how it would do against other bikes. Gearing on mine is 16/44, I have no problems walking R1's or 1000RR's. I weight 200lbs w/out gear on.

I haven't used stock gearing in so long I wonder how it would do against other bikes. Gearing on mine is 16/44, I have no problems walking R1's or 1000RR's. I weight 200lbs w/out gear on.

What is the stock gearing on our gen IIs?

Back