Loose Rotors! Please Help

1. Do I need to replace both front rotors at the same time?
I vote YES
2. Do I need to replace my brake pads?
Good time to upgrade now if the OEM units are already worn out
3. Does anyone know of a sponsor that sells oem rotors?
Goldenchild: not sure if he is an SV but he might be able to help you out

As Uncle Steve stated, the rotor floats in order to self align itself with the calipers. Has nothing to do with heat transfer or expansion, simply keeps the rotor aligned with the calipers.

I have replaced three rotors on three different bikes due to loose rivits. All purchased new and none had been crashed. One bike was still under warranty so Suzuki replaced it for me.

The buttons get loose for whatever reason, who knows. What I do know is once they become loose enough to hear them clank when you apply the brakes or hit a bump they wear very fast and soon become sloppy. Once you can wriggle then back and forth with that clanking sound barking loud and clear, I'd replace them for sure.

Here is the problem. Once they clank loud enough for you to hear them every time you hit a bump, they continue to bang around constantly and it doesn't take long to wear those stainless steel buttons very thin in the mid-section where you cannot see or inspect. Once they become thin enough not to withstand the torque of a panic stop, you can end up with the brake disk seperating from the center section and bad things will happen from there.

If your head is worth more than your helmet, replace them sooner than later! ALWAYS use caution on the safe side! :beerchug:

1. Do I need to replace both front rotors at the same time?

NO! You've got one bad rotor, not two! Your rotors are not worn out, you simply have one with loose rivits. Not even Suzuki can tell you why this happens. I've been through this before and no one knows why the odd rotor on rare occasions has this problem but it happens.

2. Do I need to replace my break pads?

Probably not but pads are cheap so if your OEM pads are showing ware, you may want to upgrade to a more effective pad?

3. Does anyone know of a sponsor that sells oem rotors?

Yes! Ebay! OEM rotors are extremely expensive. You can pick up a rotor off ebay for under fifty bucks or buy OEM which retails for up near $300? Your choice. If you purchase an ebay rotor, be sure to ask if the bike was crashed. Sometimes rotors get bent in a crash?

Last edited:
Your question about chrome on the rotors. It can be debated till the cows come home, someone will chime in with a story of how they have never had a problem and they chromed their rotors and Johnson rod years ago with no problems.
I just don't think it is a good choice messing with the brakes to that degree. I always like to think smarter people with a lot more education decided the brakes are best the way they designed them.
I would want a higher authority to tell me it is ok. Not merely doing it and hoping for the best. Without proper testing there is no way to know if stopping distances will be effected or reliability will be in question. Will the chemical and heat processes involved during the chrome process effect the integrity of the metal? Too many unanswered questions for me to risk my safety.

Last edited:
Lamb has the same problem. Was discussing this with the boys during plenty of notice ride. It is annoying when travelling at low speeds and the thing is clic-clicking away. The mechanics that Lamb has talked to say, replace as soon as possible. Good timing on this post BTW! Right side loose, left side tight.

Back