Looking for a job

TheAtomicAss

Registered
First, a little history. I worked in a plastics plant for 2-1/2 years, and finally left because the management couldn't keep it's act together. By the time I left they were working 24 hour weeks. I gained no experience here in presenting myself, as my father works there, and helped me get on there by introducing me to the HR staff.

Since that time, I have not been able to get a real job. I fill out application after application, no one calls me back, calls to the HR departments of these companies yield dead-ends, and I cannot figure out why, beyond trivial issues. My handwriting is not the best, but I try to fill the applications out slowly so I don't scribble, I have no education history, (having been home-schooled), but I did test for, and receive, a HS diploma. My personality in dealing with strangers is 180 degrees of my online persona, I tend to be shy and hesitant until I've gotten to know a person. I would think that would work against me, but I wouldn't know because I'VE NEVER HAD AN INTERVIEW!
mad.gif

I've been restricting myself to unskilled positions, because I have no written proof of the computer and mechanical skills I possess. (I'm not exactly a network technician, but I can setup/manage a computer network, I've done enough maintenance on cars and bikes to be a mechanic, things of that nature).

As of now, I'm working through a temp agency, but I'm starting to wonder about this place. I've been through 3 different jobs in 5 months. None paying more than $10/hr. (Which I can understand). None having more than 40 hours available to work, not just for temps but regular employees too! (Which blows my mind).

I wouldn't be against working for $10 if I could get some serious hours, (60+ per week), but I can't even get that much.

So does anyone have any advice that might help in my search for a job? I've been told that taking a few college classes and putting that on my applications may help, but I'd like to know how far that goes with a potential employer before I plunk down money I don't have.

Do you have any career goals ?

If your interested in Computer Networking work on some certifications and go to a community college and work on a degree...

What did you do at the plastic company ?

How Old?
Health?
Criminal Record?

If you're under about 27 I thin kit is, healthy, with a clean record? NO Kidding Join the Military. It's a revelation, I mean I spent a year or so in your situation with a degree for pete's sake. The Military changed all of that. You'll learn so Much about yourself and meet so many people that you'll feel like a whole new person when your done. You like computers and networks? Check out the Air Force, You want brother hood and action, Check out the Marines, you want to travel join the Navy...

But for getting your life together, for getting you into a position where you can sit and think for a little bit while still getting paid and have all of your needs taken care of, the Military is a terrific option.

Once you're out you'll have a much better idea of who and what you are about, you won't have trouble talking to people anymore, and you'll have money for college and a resume' that will work for you.

Rev

trades jobs.
i`m a master plumber in michigan. never out of work. shops are always hireing.
it imposible to down size a plumber, everyone needs a plumber or skiled trades.
just something to think about.

trades jobs.
i`m a master plumber in michigan. never out of work. shops are always hireing.
it imposible to down size a plumber, everyone needs a plumber or skiled trades.
just something to think about.
RanMan makes a good point... Plumbers etc... Good money, and I would imagine a certain amount of satisfaction from actually building things, actually finishing a job... That's got to feel nice.

You were home schooled but have your equivalency. That is what employers see when they look at your apps. There are many questions that are bantered about by said HR departments: socialization skills, work ethics...ethics in general. Because you did not grow up in "mainstream" america by attending public schools or even private schools you are a minority that most people dont understand. Finding a job will be next to impossible.

Join the military. I have been doing this for 14 years. While I have been in I have been to school and earned my bachelor's degree in HR development (of all things). I truly enjoy the military and have gained a greater appreciation for Freedoms plus i get paid, fed and clothed.

Do it, do it.

- Get the GI Bill because after 4 years you might want to go to college later.
- I have been to so many cool places and met so many awsome people I wouldn't trade my time for anything.

Join the military. Most don't regret their time.

I'm concur ( Ranman ) ..we as a society ( 2 ) skilled jobs are a necessity .. ( electrician and plumber ) become 1 or the other .. and you will always have work .. dosen't matter where you live.. 1 of my sons does both .. the kids a work'aholic' now..
smile.gif
most Jr. Colleges have some type of work programs going on .. g/l .

Go get the 2006 edition of the book, "What Color is Your Parachute." Do what it says and you'll be miles ahead. Also, get the book, "Super Job Search," (might even be on the same shelf in the bookstore) and read that as well.

--Wag--

Go into the police academy....not the best paying job, but i dont look at it as going to work everyday. Its more like getting paid to drive around and put bad people in jail
biggrin.gif

I had previously thought about going into the military. What stopped me was the realization that if a gun was put into my hands, I would use it. Multiple times. Oh, there would be a court martial alright.

Me and a terrorist? It'd be like Bill Hicks and Billy Ray Cyrus. Even if he waves the white flag.

Oh yes, forgot to mention, I'm not looking for a career. Stable employment with overtime for the next 4-5 years is my goal. I know I'm being picky, but...

Which plant in Ohio? I've been making plastic for 17 yrs now. Plant has gone through 3 name changes, Sunoco now who knows tomorrow. We have a velcro sign out front.

i second the skilled labor idea...there will be three type of jobs left in u.s. health care..food service...skilled labor

Back