Looking at a Hayabusa have tech questions???

crepitus

Registered
I found a used 02 Hayabusa. They are only asking 6200. Are there things i should look for to make sure i am not getting taken? I heard that they snap chains sometimes and crack the cases. Is there anything particular i shoud look for? I just want a heads up on any issues i should check for. By the way great site.

Like all used bikes/\/\/\/\/\/\ Look for scraps, mismatched fairings, discolorations, smells, drips, "too fresh" paint, stress's on the plastic...

Anyone else want to chime in? :devil:

cracked and/or greasy fork seals, (too many wheelies), also check forks for "significant" compression lines, (too many stoppies). Have a mechanic do a compression check on the engine.

Oh BTW - welcome to the site !!

cracked and/or greasy fork seals, (too many wheelies), also check forks for "significant" compression lines, (too many stoppies).  Have a mechanic do a compression check on the engine.

Oh BTW - welcome to the site !!
What are compression lines?

Thanks for the replys. The only reason why I am a bit nervous is because its 6200 for a 02. The price is a bit low.

Do you guys like the ride? Are they comfortable? That is the main reson why i am interested in the Busa.....ok plus the power. :super:

Oh and are the comfortable for 2 up riding?

check anything that looks wrong, for that low of a price it has to be soemthing wrong with it. Does it have a salvage title or what. The cheapest i have seen an 02 was about 8200. so you are getting a hell of a deal if it is an ok bike. Yes it very comfortable and will be way more of a bike than you thought a bike could have ever been.

Very comfortable... Fast Fun Flashy

I do admit I need to get raisers some time. Around 50 miles I need to stop so I can feel my hands. That and an "Airflow" screen.

What has been "done" to this bike by the seller?

I suggest getting a lien check on the bike after you find that the bike has been mechanically checked over and you want it. Of course you want it! :tounge: :D

Welcome to the board crep. :beerchug:

Start at the top, and work down.

This is what I look at when I'm buyin a bike.
Scratches on mirrors
Scratches on bar ends
scratches on cans or pegs
Look very closely for cracks on the plastic.......could tell you if the bikes been down.......check closely around all bolt holes, and screw holes for cracks.
Check front wheel for oily residue in case fork seals are shot.
Take a good look at rotors for scratching and pads for wear.
Check the oil to see how clean it is......ask him for service records or any bills he has for the bike.
Check tires for wear.......they're not real cheap if you have to replace......ask him when he last replaced them.....if it wasn't to many miles ago and the rear is extremely worn he may have been doing burnouts alot........hard on the rest of the bike too.
Grab the wheels/tires and shake them side to side to check for worn bearings too........never seen it yet but anything's possible.
Hope this helps.
Check chain for wear and slack.....ask him how often he adjusts it and if it's ever been replaced.......if it has low miles and it's been replaced you'll wanna know why.

:beerchug:

If the bikes been crashed check the forks are inline no odd angles etc if it has it will tank slap on acceleration..oil residue on one side the forks more than the other..Engine is heart and soul after the forks does it rattle on sound funny when running with load removed. All the electrics are good? Plastics free from damage...Plastics in the uk can be picked up for $40 and front fork, damper, yoke, handle bar set for $400 so no need to walk away from the deal so add it in to the cost if this is found needing to be done... frames are really strong but take great care if seller has any frame mods, extra holes in it or additional welds.. if it has look for signs of cracking. I can get through a tyre in couple weeks so not sure why you wanna look at them.. tyres wear purely on how you ride..if you just go tad quicker then most bikes out there the wear is minimal... my advice do not buy it give me the sellers number i will buy it! lol...

Last edited:
If the bikes been crashed check the forks are inline no odd angles etc if it has it will tank slap on acceleration..oil residue on one side the forks more than the other..Engine is heart and soul after the forks does it rattle on sound funny when running with load removed. All the electrics are good? Plastics free from damage...Plastics in the uk can be picked up for $40 and front fork, damper, yoke, handle bar set for $400 so no need to walk away from the deal so add it in to the cost if this is found needing to be done... frames are really strong but take great care if seller has any frame mods, extra holes in it or additional welds.. if it has look for signs of cracking. I can get through a tyre in couple weeks so not sure why you wanna look at them.. tyres wear purely on how you ride..if you just go tad quicker then most bikes out there the wear is minimal... my advice do not buy it give me the sellers number i will buy it! lol...

Old thread...SIX YEARS OLD ???

why dont you just have it checked out by a qualified tech, maybe at a Suzuki dealer, may be worth the 100 bucks they charge you to not get screwed

Back