Looking at a 02 Busa

avolfan

Registered
I've found a 02 with low miles, is there anything in particular that you need to watch out for in an 02. Has anything been done to the later models that make a difference?

you need to see that the recalls have been done -- and that the sub frame has been upgraded

Yeah, but I think the 02 and on haven't had any significant changes. 99/00 had the subframe problem and I think the starter kickback thing was 2001 and before.

The subframe upgraded??? Why? I own an 02' Busa and subframe seems to be doing okay. What upgrades need to be done?

Ping member VABUSA, she owns a 02 and should be able to give you the 411 on a 02 model

'02 have the steel subframe, no problems there. They are subject to the starter kickback. Nothing else that I know of!

2002 have the upgraded, steel, subframes.

The kickback problem can be for all years prior to 2002, but the 2002s had many more kickback problems then the earlier models.

I have a 2002 with over 51K miles and haven't had any kickback problems.  But I did upgrade to a high output battery, 235cca, to reduce the risk.

The kickback problem is not common, but if it happens it can crack the engine case.  Great way to never worry about it, ALWAYS keep the battery fully charged and never try cranking on a weak battery.

There was a recall on them right? If you have one with a potential kickback issue, can't you get it updated free of charge?

(bitabur @ Sep. 27 2007,13:34) There was a recall on them right?  If you have one with a potential kickback issue, can't you get it updated free of charge?
No recall that I remember on the 02 for kickback.  Schnitz racing makes a nice starter sleeve to protect the engine just in case of low-battery kickback.  I had my 02LE for years and never had a problem.

P.

Here is the link: http://secure.mycart.net/catalog....vnext=1

I have an 02 LE...only problem i have is staying off the throttle
beerchug.gif

Back