looking at a busa in the snow.

R.C.Dickey

Registered
Hello all
i am going to look at a busa tommorow, but it is snowing like hell.
i will be unable to take it out on the road. I was thinking if i let it idle for a good 10 minutes the rev it a few times, hold the the rpms steady for a bit, then continue to idle i should notice any leaks. Any other ideas?
The fellow i am buying from is "going away" for a while so i cannot wait till the weather clears up. hopefully he has all the correct paperwork.

:welcome: , i bought mine when it was pouring down with rain , the guy had ridden 40 miles to show me , so i took it under cover & cleaned it before we made the deal . water snow etc will hide a multitude of sins . be careful and good luck

What year?
How much is he asking?
Any modifications?
What condition are tires?

I would definitely let it run for 10-15 minutes, let it warm up- see if if overheats right away (mine will overheat when stuck in 30-40 minute traffic), it shouldn't.

And don't be afraid to twist that throttle. Check the fluids as best you can. Turn it off and back on a few times. Hang out with him for a while. Ask him if it's been down before.

if i were you ...being past buying history i would check charging system too
not good to head down the highway to find your stator going out or the battery being bad
just my .02 good luck

Sorry bro, If its used you have to ride all gears and see if the bike rides straight at least. Pay close attention on hairline cracks on the frame. The 99-01 bikes also uses aluminum rear sub frame that sometimes crack. You have to ride it.

I would for sure let it run for at least 10-15 to get up to temp and like some of the other guys have stated,check the charging system. Maybe even pull the pads out and check them to see what kind of wear is on them.

Look closely at the chain...tells a lot about the maintenance and care for detail~!~

:welcome: I bought mine off a fellow board member. I didn't ride it until I got home. I had him run it a little while and checked it over really good.

Hope this isn't too late but put it up on the rear stand and run it in first at idle speed. Shift through ALL the gears at idle speed. Do NOT rev the engine while it's in gear.

The chain will hop around a bit but that's pretty normal. Shift up with no clutch, down with the clutch. It should let you know if there are any issues.

Obviously, make sure it's very steady on the rear stand.

--Wag--

Back