Long Nose Porsche 911 In The Barn!

Cookie

Registered
Recently my elderly lady neighbour 'Helen' told me about this little early model Porsche that a another neighbour lady friend of hers has stored away that I had no clue of. The lady doesn't even look at it. Keeps it covered. Outta sight - outta mind, I guess.

It was her Father's car. He passed away six years ago and evidently there is a load of pain associated with it regarding whatever the car represents to her and her memories of him. I am sure that she rode around with him as a younger girl or something. I don't have the full story.

I walked down with Helen to take a brief look at it. She said when we got to the car, "Go ahead and lift the cover and take a quick peek."

I lifted the canvas cover, quickly looked at it and exclaimed out loud how pristine it was. I was shocked! These 'Garage Finds' are usually reserved for magazines or other people!

It was a White Targa, Red Leather interior, black dash with 6.8k on the clock. I believe it is a 1965 or a 1966 because it had the 356 carry-over four cylinder in the engine bay. Everything appeared correct and it was almost like it was sitting in a time capsule, even though it was under a cover. I couldn't see any rust anywhere? It even had the moon

The next day, I walked down with my Brother to ask about it,, and as we approached the car, she bolted from her back door running towards us,, her significant other was glued to the inside of the back door window watching (probably scared stiff of men). Anyway - she ran up to us, her long gray unkempt hair blowing in the wind,, she was dressed slovenly and spoke with grim trepidation, "Can I help you?" "What do you want?" with a really scared and hollow look on her face almost like we were robbing her.

I told her as I pointed up the street, 'Yes, Helen told me yesterday that she spoke to you that we would be coming down to ask you about the car! Didn't she say something to you about that?' She said, "Yes, but I am not interested in anything,, the car is not for sale!!!"

I was stunned by her reaction to say the least as I immediately checked her hands for a weapon of some sort. She was completely edgy. Hell, she could have just shot us right there for all we knew. So, to tried to calm things down a bit, I apologized to her for any inference to insult her and expressed that we certainly never meant to tread on sensitive ground!" We never knew how many deep emotions our speaking of the car would have or we never would have done it!

I asked somewhere through my repeated apologies if whether sometime in the future she may consider selling and she softened a bit and said,, "Well,, maybe some day!"

I have no idea what it could be worth. Might anyone here have any thoughts? I like Porsche's, but I just not on the marque regarding the early ones.
1966+Porsche+Band+Find1253479529.jpg

If it had a 4 banger, it is a 912, early. They are not worth much and were as slow as a VW. They handled ok, because the engine was light. I had one, most were cursed with electrical problems and they LOVED to catch fire and burn to the ground.

I guess you're right. It is a 912. I wonder if it has a soft top. Oh well,, I don't want to get shot! :laugh:

If it is truly what they call a Slant Nose and is all straight (which means it has all the original parts) it may be worth more than you think. I owned a Porsche 356b 1962 for 35+ years and I can honestly say, You will always find someone to pay more for yours than you did.
A slant nose is not rare but not common and I have always thought they are very cool.
So I know someone will be willing to pay top $$ for a good find.
Just my 2cts
Bubba

I am really more into the 930's (which just sold) and the next plans for the 996 GT2. :laugh:

If I find out more on this car,, I could let you know what or if she wants to do anything. ???
icon12.gif
She was quite the (seemingly) loose canon.

Maybe you could offer to change the fluids in it for her and maybe she'll loosen up and keep you in mind when she DOES sell it:beerchug:

According to NADA if it's a 67 912:

Original MSRP: $4,790
Low Retail Average Retail Value High Retail
Base Price $13,300 $15,200 $19,900

According to NADA if it's a 67 912:

Original MSRP: $4,790
Low Retail Average Retail Value High Retail
Base Price $13,300 $15,200 $19,900

Probably not worth my time unless I could get it for super cheap. It would be a great dD.

This is more my speed. Not messin around here.
SILVER+03+GT2+rear1253518747.jpg

-GT2

Last edited:
personally i'd go for the 996 turbo X50 package. bolt on some bigger turbos and you're looking at a 700 whp awd launch machine.

If is has a 4cyl. it is a 912. Being up north rust will be the problem. The floors were prone to rusting out (I stepped through one once)
I had quite a few early 911's 1969-1981.
I even had a 930 Turbo Slant Nose until the Wife made it go bye-bye.

personally i'd go for the 996 turbo X50 package. bolt on some bigger turbos and you're looking at a 700 whp awd launch machine.

Really good suggestion, however, with that thought, you are always chasing after what the GT2 has and really never get there. The guys that are doing that are lightening their Turbo's by taking off their front differentials and going to the rear wheel drive only like the GT2,, all to be like the GT2. The GT2 weighs 220kg less than its turbo counterpart.

The X50 package isn't anything more than cams and intake runner and other subtle differences. And then on top of all of that, the underpinnings are different on the GT2 compared to the 911 Turbo. Porsche built the GT2 to go racing and made it available to the public in limited numbers,, not for total production unlike the Turbo.

Nah,, for the money one would dump into obtaining the 700hp with the modded turbo,, I will just hunt down a true GT2 and send it off to Promotive, Inc in Florida.

If is has a 4cyl. it is a 912. Being up north rust will be the problem. The floors were prone to rusting out (I stepped through one once)
I had quite a few early 911's 1969-1981.
I even had a 930 Turbo Slant Nose until the Wife made it go bye-bye.

This was my last 930. I sold it in July. Love the Porsche's! There simply is no substitute!
S6300183a1253561351.jpg

Back