LED tail light sealed unit fix!!!

fireblade1

Registered
I noticed when my LED integrator unit arrived that it didn't come with any instructions for assembly. I have two fixes for issues that can come up when installing an LED tail light w/ turn signal integration.

The factory unit is supposed to be a 95% sealed unit. Once the new LED board is installed via Clear Alternatives wiring diagram, you will have a gaping hole in the back of your assembly. Here's the cheap easy fix.

If you shave your fender instead of an undertail, save the shaved plastic. Use a 2" (two inch) hole saw and cut yourself a 2 inch circle. Remove the disk from the saw and trim what you want off the edging. Use the pilot hole to create a 1/4" (one quarter inch) sized hole with a drill bit. You may need to work your way up to the 1/4 inch bit.

Once you have the 1/4 inch hole, place the factory rubber mount (goes under the brass plate) back in the factory position. Run your wires through here, then through the 1/4" hole you drilled in the plastic disk you fashioned.

Take a 5 cent rubber wire grommet (comes with automotive LEDs and can be bought at Autozone and other parts stores) then run the wires through here. NOTE: be sure that you do this before you solder, crimp connect, tap connect, or bullet connect any wiring! Then simply fit the grommet to the hole you drilled and place the disk on the stock rubber mount.

Then place the brass back plate over the assembly and re-mount the plate. This should take you back to a near 95% sealed unit. See the pics for an idea. Sorry if the first two are blurry, but you'll get the idea.

led_fix12.JPG

Completed mounting on the unit. Notice that I used bullet connectors for my turn signal wires. The resistors could burn out at any time, so I wanted to be able to disconnect them at my leisure and replace them. I also mounted the resistors to the OEM bracket for the brake light using screw type pipe clamp.

led_fix42.JPG

One last little tidbit. If the fact that the o-rings supplied still allow your unit to bounce around in the assembly, simply add one of those grommets to the backing(housing) of the assembly, place the board on top of them, then use the supplied o-rings on the lens and mount it together. I guarantee that it won't rattle any longer!

COINCIDENTALLY, I JUST INSTALLED IT LAST WEEK AND NOTICED THERE IS PLAY. YOU GUYS ARE RIGHT ON IT. THIS IS WHY MY DUMB ASS KEEPS COMING BACK TO THE ORG. FOR MORE. THANKS

Back