Led Running lights

billyerds01

Registered
Im trying to tie in my led running lights. I ran the turnsignal running light to my brown accessory plug on the right side of the bike. The running lite stayed lit constant like it was suppose to, but when I turned the blinker on it did nothing. Can anyone tell me where on the bike to run the wiring so that the running lights will stay on and the blinker will work properly. Thanx.

What kind of signal light do you have? If it is a true dual light type unit, then you need to make sure you have the constant from the accessory plug going to the running light portion of the signal. If the signal light you have has an on then bright for signal then the running light should be the 'on' or low bright and the wire from the OEM blinker should be for the bright. If you have the bright portion always activated, then you wouldn't see the blink. Make sense?

Pics would help with your question, as I am not familiar with what setup you have. So I am purely speculating.

???

IMG_1883.jpg

IMG_1884.jpg

IMG_1885.jpg

If you wire in an LED to a standard bulb circuit, you have changed the resistance in the circuit. Why not just wire them to a fuse block and install a switch?

Ok, so you need to make sure which is 'flash' and which is 'running'. You can also check both connections by applying 12VDC and seeing if they come individually.

It all depends on how it is wired inside. If the same LEDs are used for both functions, running and flash (dual intensity), then you will need to make sure about your wiring assuring that you have running connected to the aux connector and flash connected to the old signal wire. Make sure the flash is grounded. If there are separate diodes for each, then I suppose it really shouldn't matter.

I am not exactly familiar with those lenses, so my answer is purely speculation.

Try this. Plug the 'running' that you got to work to the blinker, see if it blinks. Try the other connector to the running, see if it lights when activated. This should at least tell you if you're unit is working properly.

I assume you have the same problem on both sides of the bike?

Last edited:
I tied in the running light pair to the brown accessory female adapter on the right side. The running lights stayed on properly but when I tried to use the blinker it didnt blink, it stayed running solid. Where can I tie it in so the running lights stay lit and the blinker will blink properly. Is there a way to tie it in without using a switch?

Right. That's what you said the first time. You need to test the both lights to make sure they work. I don't know that the unit is smart enough to know the difference between running and not.

Typically you don't need a switch for the running...what would be the purpose of that, you certainly wouldn't want to turn them off everytime you wanted to blinker.

If the unit is dual intensity, and you have it connected wrong, the flash wouldn't flash because the light is already on the bright setting...if that makes sense. I don't think these lights will go 'off and on', but dim and bright. Try just connecting the blinkers only, see if they flash. Double check the connections again. They should flash really fast since they are LEDs.

Back