learning the basics

black diamond busa

Team Jacob
Registered
So I have been reading how to do a wheelie and seeing its not the best idea to do on my bike. My buddy had his r6 over to my house yesterday and he let me take it out. I got the front end up at 40mph. Scared the living crap outta me but was fun. He's kinda mad though cuz he can't get it to lift up
Posted via Mobile Device

Wheelies not being the "best idea" on a Busa is simply a matter of opinion. The Busa wheelies just as ANY other motorcycle will. It may not be the best bike to learn a wheelie on, but if the Busa is what you ride, that's what you need to learn them on.
If you were already a wheelie rider you could jump on any bike, get a feel for it, and wheelie up the road. Since you're not, the feel for how an R6 wheelies is different from the Busa due to power and weight. The R6 can help you learn, but you're going to have to practice them on the Busa too.:beerchug:

Most important rule...

Never learn to stunt on anything you care about how it might end up looking or not be able to afford to repair. :laugh:

Wheelies not being the "best idea" on a Busa is simply a matter of opinion. The Busa wheelies just as ANY other motorcycle will. It may not be the best bike to learn a wheelie on, but if the Busa is what you ride, that's what you need to learn them on.
If you were already a wheelie rider you could jump on any bike, get a feel for it, and wheelie up the road. Since you're not, the feel for how an R6 wheelies is different from the Busa due to power and weight. The R6 can help you learn, but you're going to have to practice them on the Busa too.:beerchug:

They may all wheelie in similar fashion but they will definately land back to earth in a different fashion. Tha extra 100 or so pounds on the Bus is very noticeable if you slam that throttle shut in the middle of a second gear "power up".:rofl: Ask me how I know!:whistle:

Well I have never done a wheelie before and didn't want to screw up on a busa that is alot heavier than a 600. I know I will have to learn on my bike sometime just thought it would be better to try on something that was a little lighter.(plus I don't want to blow my fork seals)
Posted via Mobile Device

Well I have never done a wheelie before and didn't want to screw up on a busa that is alot heavier than a 600. I know I will have to learn on my bike sometime just thought it would be better to try on something that was a little lighter.(plus I don't want to blow my fork seals)
Posted via Mobile Device

Go ahead and blow those seals. That will be a good reason to learn how to replace them. After about 2 sets you will be able to replace both sides in about an hour.

Posted via Mobile Device

If you don't already have a front forklift stand...buy one. It'll still be cheaper than taking your bike in to have fork seals done.
Fork seals eventually go out on all bike's anyway, and they're actually very easy. There's a couple good DIY threads on here. If you can remove the wheel, then you're able to change the seals.
Nothing wrong with learning on a smaller bike, just remember that yours is going to be different.

just learn to touch down a little softer.

This is a must. Setting one down hard, especially repeatedly, can cause a bent rim or fork, as well as a good crash. Fork seals are at the bottom of the list of priorities.

Learn to corner.The busa takes a little finese to corner but it will definately do it.If I want to wheelie, I will stick to my YZs on the dirt.I have had the wheel up on mine but it really doesnt float my boat.I am morw concerned at keeping the rear wheel from breaking loose.

Im starting to learn to corner better with my visa which is fun im planning on taking it to a track day this summer
Posted via Mobile Device

Baby steps is the key to whatever you are trying to learn on a motorcycle.

Second most important - consistency - you have to be able to repeat whatever you achieved, no matter how small the achievment is. Don't move on to more advanced stuff until then.

And third - last but not least - you have to truly want to do it because it excites you, and not because someone else is doing it, or thinks it's cool. And the easy way to figure it out is to ask yourself would you be doing it if no one knew or no one could see that. And if the answer is yes, then you truly want it.

If you violate any of those three rules, you are up for a bad surprise down the road.

I don't want to overload, but also if it doesn't feel right doing something at a given point of time, don't do it. This is your instinct talking to you. Learn to listen.

Baby steps is the key to whatever you are trying to learn on a motorcycle.

Second most important - consistency - you have to be able to repeat whatever you achieved, no matter how small the achievment is. Don't move on to more advanced stuff until then.

And third - last but not least - you have to truly want to do it because it excites you, and not because someone else is doing it, or thinks it's cool. And the easy way to figure it out is to ask yourself would you be doing it if no one knew or no one could see that. And if the answer is yes, then you truly want it.

If you violate any of those three rules, you are up for a bad surprise down the road.

I don't want to overload, but also if it doesn't feel right doing something at a given point of time, don't do it. This is your instinct talking to you. Learn to listen.

That's good advice in general.

Just be happy you don't live in Florida. Wheelies can be $$!

316.2085(2) Motorcycle or moped, wheels losing contact with ground
This is classified as a moving violation.
First Offense: the violator must pay $1,000 plus any other costs assessed for a moving violation. Second Offense: the violator must pay a fine of $2,500, plus any other applicable costs assessed for a moving violation. The person’s driver license must be revoked for a period of one year.
Third Offense: the violator will be charged with a third degree felony, punishable as provided in ss. 775.082, 775.083, and 775.084, a mandatory fine of $5,000, and the driver license must be revoked for a period of ten years.

Just be happy you don't live in Florida. Wheelies can be $$!

316.2085(2) Motorcycle or moped, wheels losing contact with ground
This is classified as a moving violation.
First Offense: the violator must pay $1,000 plus any other costs assessed for a moving violation. Second Offense: the violator must pay a fine of $2,500, plus any other applicable costs assessed for a moving violation. The person’s driver license must be revoked for a period of one year.
Third Offense: the violator will be charged with a third degree felony, punishable as provided in ss. 775.082, 775.083, and 775.084, a mandatory fine of $5,000, and the driver license must be revoked for a period of ten years.

Amazingly absurd

Back