Lazy starter motor

tobybusa

Registered
Does anyone have advice/information on a "lazy starter motor". Hayabusa is 2000 model with 30,000 miles. Batteries are not lasting and starter motor very slow turning over.
Thanks in advance.
Tobybusa.

I'd have the charging system checked. If you're going through batteries, it's probably because they're always about half charged and that could be why your starter motor is so slow. Keeping a battery half run down all the time will kill it pretty quick.

Have you tried a bigger battery-YTZ14S.I had the same problem and thought it was my starter ,but just needed more cranking
power.I have an 02 with 19000 miles on it.I also cleaned the
fuel filter,throttle bodies and vacum lines.Now it startes like it
did when it was new.

I second the charging system check recommended above...the rectifier connections in the tail seem to fry the connections some times and can lead to your symptoms...check the manual for diagnostics and the rear pod wiring at the rectifier...

Good luck,

I second the charging system check recommended above...the rectifier connections in the tail seem to fry the connections some times and can lead to your symptoms...check the manual for diagnostics and the rear pod wiring at the rectifier...

Good luck,
I'd also investigate and check out the charging system especially since you've indicated batteries don't last. Start motors don't kill batteries however, insufficient charging does.

If you have a stock engine, the OEM battery provides more than adequate CCA to start a stock engine provided it's actually charging properly.

Good luck,
I'd also investigate and check out the charging system especially since you've indicated batteries don't last. Start motors don't kill batteries however, insufficient charging does.

If you have a stock engine, the OEM battery provides more than adequate CCA to start a stock engine provided it's actually charging properly.
+1

just had the same problem with my 2000 busa, turned out to be the starter motor was destroying itself from the inside out. 2 of the 4 magnets inside had come loose and were fragmenting inside the casing and were jamming it. the starter wouldn't even turn with a battery pack once i took it off the bike. took it apart, cleaned it all out and rebuilt it with the damaged magnets which i had cleaned up. fired up first press of the starter button.

mark

Same problem with my 2000 Busa (55000 miles). Stealers confirmed charging ok (ate 2 batteries though) and aledgedly cleaned the starter motor. Fitted the Honda ST1300 Gel Yuasa Battery but still slow. Just having the knackered cam chain replaced and found the same issue with the starter motor - magnets falling off inside. Decided on a new unit as the first has done a good mileage (owned this bike from new).

Pull the starter out and open it up.Mine was that way also and the magnets delammed off the housing.Slow crank.Not enough field to turn the stator.

Back