Launching issues

I'm still new to Drag Racing my turbo Busa and having a hard time with launching. I have a Multistage lock up clutch, stretched 6", and running 250rwhp. I was told to have the clutch to where its close to engaging and let it slip. I think my major problem is that I'm not giving it enough gas.

Any other tips? Thanks.
http://vimeo.com/52309598

Please and

Practice, not a drag guy at all, but you probably need to have the bike up in the RPMs to spool that turbo up for launch. The pros will be along.

Eddy,

Are you running a stock rear shock and spring?

Watch how far the rear of the bike goes down right before the wheelie.

More seat time is going to help. Was that video from the PMRA race today?

You get that Multi set right, you just throw that lever out and the clutch does the slipping for you. That is what it was designed for

That video was from the PMRA race yesterday. I wish I would have known there was someone else from the site going. We had some good conditions yesterday that's for sure.

Eddy,

Are you running a stock rear shock and spring?

Watch how far the rear of the bike goes down right before the wheelie.

More seat time is going to help. Was that video from the PMRA race today?

Yea I am. I just got a spare rear setup in the other day that ima do with RaceTech. Seat time is what I'm trying to do most. It was for Saturday at Thunder Valley.

You get that Multi set right, you just throw that lever out and the clutch does the slipping for you. That is what it was designed for

Ludicrous is exactly right . . . the first thing you need to do is get the lightest primary springs MTC has to offer, which (if this is a Gen 1 Multistage) are the 151 springs. BTW, in this case the term Gen 1 is an MTC term that has to do with which version of their Multistage you have - it has nothing to do with what year Busa you have. The springs for the arms and the weight you put on each one is usually something a particular racer develops over a period of time and as such, is not given out freely. If you give your combination to MTC, they will be happy to advise you and get you in the ballpark. The Professor is also right on the money when he refers to how the bike squats during the launch. The setup of the shock is critical, as well. Anyway, if you start with those 151 primary springs, you will be able to bring your rpms up to around 7500 - where your bike makes the most torque - and just dump the clutch entirely - that is, throw the clutch handle away completely. With everything else right, it will do all the slipping for you, as it was designed to do.:laugh:

Ludicrous is exactly right . . . the first thing you need to do is get the lightest primary springs MTC has to offer, which (if this is a Gen 1 Multistage) are the 151 springs. BTW, in this case the term Gen 1 is an MTC term that has to do with which version of their Multistage you have - it has nothing to do with what year Busa you have. The springs for the arms and the weight you put on each one is usually something a particular racer develops over a period of time and as such, is not given out freely. If you give your combination to MTC, they will be happy to advise you and get you in the ballpark. The Professor is also right on the money when he refers to how the bike squats during the launch. The setup of the shock is critical, as well. Anyway, if you start with those 151 primary springs, you will be able to bring your rpms up to around 7500 - where your bike makes the most torque - and just dump the clutch entirely - that is, throw the clutch handle away completely. With everything else right, it will do all the slipping for you, as it was designed to do.:laugh:

Thanks for all the info with detail!

I had my last bike set up to launch at 7k. Bike was 63.5", and was stock engine with Brock exhaust. It barely had enough power to make the clutch slip enough! LOL

I rode it on the street just like I had it set up for the track, and never burned a clutch. I was easy on it at taking off from a light, though. You can always shim the springs for more static pressure.

Call MTC and tell them what you are doing and what you have, they should be able to give you a good starting point

BTW, it will take a little getting used to it. You WILL NOT be able to go WOT and throw the clutch instantly the first few times. It is ingrained in our brains NOT to do that:lol:

Yeah I was running street et, pro et, and super street on my 08. I live near Tulsa so I won't make it back down to noble until the first race next year.

Dont slip the clutch. load the clutch at the line, spool the turbo, and then throw it. You can only do that if the multistage is set up right. Send me a PM and I will tell you how to set that clutch up for a turbo. Set your shock up first. A turbo amplifies everything wrong in your suspension.

how long is your bike? do you have a aftermarket shock?
what is your launch rpm
do you have an air shifter
what is your stack height and air gap?
what springs do you have under the hat?
what is your stack height and airgap?

Back