clutch slip then grab at launch

SGVridgerunner

Registered
Hey guys,

I'm pretty new to drag racing and am trying to improve my launching skills. I finally installed the welded clutch hub mod (big thanks to Heads Up Performance) and got out to Sac Raceway to bench test it against my previous times. I was pleased with how much more control I have of the bike now that the back torque-limiter isn't bogging the motor or throwing the front end up in the air anymore, however i have noticed one new nuisance that has popped up since the install. When I dump the clutch from a stop, the clutch seems to slip a few revolutions before grabbing and finally pulling the bike forward instead of the out-of-the-hole thrust I experienced before the clutch mod. I first guess is that the stock clutch springs aren't up to the task now, however when the bike was on the dyno, we tested the clutch under load, and there was no slip (while rolling). So the springs are holding while the clutch is engaged. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions about this before I run out and buy heavier clutch springs.

thanks,
Dave

The stock springs are not enough once it is converted to a 1 piece hub. I surprised it did not show up on the dyno.

Get 3 heavy duty springs with spacers and replace 3 of the stock springs. That should fix the problem

The stock springs are not enough once it is converted to a 1 piece hub. I surprised it did not show up on the dyno.

Thanks for the info!

LOL, yeah, I don't think my bike makes enough power break the clutch loose while engaged (yet). Do you have any recommendations on brand? No one really lists specs on their springs just "Heavy duty" and "These are the strongest..."

Thanks,
Dave

You might want to invest in an aftermarket clutch slave housing if you add stronger springs. The factory housing has been known to fail and most give added protection in the event a chain lets go.

Back